DotA 2

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by gruntLOL, Aug 2, 2011.

1. devilishly

devilishly Member

With the changes to blur ganking PA is a little more difficult. Doesn't show up on the map unless a hero is nearby and PA can tell if you're nearby when the blur icon disappears

2. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

The whole PA arcana deal has gotten a bit better lately, no one goes crazy in the first 10-20 minutes anymore.

Still get the occasional salty PA though, played a number of games where contracts get denied and PA just abandons or PA just sits at fountain when the other team has the lead.

3. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

I either can't play support or the people I play with don't know how to gank or carry.
    Its one frustrating game the old doto lol.

So is there still going to be a christmas event or this it?

4. GENERALiDEA

GENERALiDEA Member

It's not just you mate, but from what you've said you prefer carry. I've found it's really hard to switch between the two since as a carry you can afford to be a bit selfish and as a support you have to be reaaaally selfless and that's the hardest thing when you're sacrificing farm, last hits, etc and your carry isn't taking advantage of it.
    I find ii really hard to carry (since i'm not a great carry) if I don't have a good team with me but I find it easy to support even if I have a rubbish team. Unfortunately, "supporting well" often results in lanes getting pushed and your carry still being a useless twit haha.
    I really need to build up my friends list so I'm always in a team where I can at least communicate with a few folk! Even three people communicating ganks can make up for two useless people on the team!

5. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

Yeah you really need to jump in to one of my games. We always seem to be playing just at different times!

6. echineon

echineon Member

I think you need to look at support role differently. You are investing money in important things like courier, wards and smoke. So you are setting the pace of the game, whether creating space, draw enemy's attention to the other side of the map while your carry need more farm. Supports don't need pre-requisite items to successfully gank or participate in big team fight that's the point of supporting.

7. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Plus as a support you usually have abilities that mean you don't need to rely on items so much, so farm doesn't really matter so much...

Take lion for example, by level 6 you practically get given Sheep Stick (Hex) and Dagon (Finger) as well as a reliable stun and mana drain...
    What farm do you really need :p

8. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

That particular game I was playing as treant.
    All I did was put wards up all game, save lives with my living armor and realise that Treant ult does not stop a Tide from doing his ult so my support hero was useless lol.

I need to pick the right support me thinks

9. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Support can be fun when solo'ing, good players will take advantage of the things you do. Bad players will be potatoes regardless.

Had a game of CM, other team had SB. SB managed to maintain map control throughout because 3 of my team mates practically never checked their minimaps or pings. Had enough wards up to see him coming from half a map away yet they proceeded to do nothing about it, just kept pushing or tower diving.

10. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

I had a run of bad games recently.

Most recently had a game where I was solo'ing the offlane as Riki and they decided to tri-lane (didn't tell me until the horn, would have chosen differently otherwise, but nevermind that).

Most frustratingly, they lost the tri-lane... Badly... Feeding the Ember Spirit quite heavily. Once the Phoenix picked up a Gem I lost my ability to gank, and every single team fight they went on the WK first, slowed us all while he reincarnated and they proceeded to destroy us... Almost solo'd the Phoenix a few times, but that ulti... Can't back stab it :upset::upset: Haha

11. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

Does anyone have a Steam name called Groot?
    Its a random add!

12. Loadingdread

Loadingdread Member

Yeah hes an OCAU guy, Cant remember who he is but he plays pretty well :thumbup:

13. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

Is there ever a time in a game where its too late to get mek? Like 30 or 40 minute mek useless?
    What shoudl supports get instead? Force staff/Euls maybe?

14. echineon

echineon Member

too late if they got lots of nuke, otherwise mek is useful even in 30 mins 40 mins death push, mek can heal creeps, creeps are part of your team. Fuck people screaming carry ftw, picked 4 carries and shrink their balls when it's time to carry.

15. GENERALiDEA

GENERALiDEA Member

By that stage of the game I think items like ghost sceptre, pipe or cyclone have much more utility than a mek. Though if noone has it and you're struggling for farm it certainly wouldn't hurt since it adds nice stats, regen and is a nice cheap buildup

16. Comma

Comma Member

I'd much rather have a big item 40 minutes in than a mek. It's rarely going to be game changing. Force staff or even a ghost scepter is really strong. Eul's is also nuts in certain circumstances.

It's not really black and white though, I'd still get it on Wisp for example, but maybe not for less traditional mek carriers (say Disruptor).

17. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Had the displeasure of playing a game against a decent techies last night. Frustrating to play against and more or less forced the game into late game. Definitely changed the pace of the game of what I'm used to though, I've watched him played (against) in videos and such but it's entirely different when your teammates aren't on the same page :sick:

18. Chaffe

Chaffe Member

Good Techies are annoying.

They do well in pubs because you really need a co-ordinated approach to make techies the useless hero is. One thing that is probably worth mentioning to your team at the start of the game is that necrobooks are an awesome item. Your supports are key though and if they can't afford sentry wards early on it's worth helping out (this probably applies more to the common quad core setup I see far too often on my smurf account).

A really early gem can be good as well but it's very risky. Choosing a carrier early game is not so easy.

Supports will want to stay near the back line and you really need the gem near the front to see the mines.

Putting it on a core means they need to play very carefully. I'd say Lone Druid is an ideal pick vs Techies if you're going to take the early gem heavy push route.

19. FarZK

FarZK Member

Necro is a much better purchase than a gem if you can afford it, the extra push really comes in handy since techies will just clear your waves

20. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

I was playing with two mates in that game, we all randomed, I landed tiny, they landed ogre and BH. The other two on our team chose ursa and lycan. So no ranged at all. Lycan managed to get a lot of the mines with his dogs but it still wasn't enough, we just all carried dust, avoided going up/down ramps and their jungle in general. We had our jungle and ancients warded pretty constantly and punished techies nearly every single time he tried to do something there.

We only won because they kept on initiating in our territory while I pushed. It was 4v4 where ogre was consistently pulling off 3x-4x multi's with lycan and ursa just wrecking. Tiny with aghs and manta is a scary thing, while they were doing that I'd push two towers and maybe their rax before getting away.

Very frustrating game though, was 45 minutes but it felt a lot longer than that.