DotA 2

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by gruntLOL, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Roma23

Roma23 Member

This game is frustrating... Played a few pub games and guys in my team keep leaving... A bit hard to not get smashed... Oh well i will keep at it

2. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

Yes unfortunately leavers hurt. Once it says game is safe to leave just leave and start a new one.
    Better on moral imo

3. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Abandons are pretty rare once you get into the mid level matches and out of the new player matches.

4. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Seriously, how does anyonne win with Tinker?!?

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/6962352/matches?hero=tinker

I have been stuck on him for my AHC for ages now, and just can't get a win with him.
    Last night played a game I thought was perfect - got every bounty rune for about the first 10 mins, very early bottle, very early boots of travel.

I pushed all the lanes well, ganked where I thought I could be of help (once BOT 2 came online), barely died the whole game (last few kills came in the dying moments of the game when I was defending ancient).

How the hell do you play this hero?!?!

5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Focus on lane push, farm jungle with march. Blink dagger, BOT, sheepstick, dagon. The 'classic move' is to BoT to lane, shift queue a blink into trees, than spawn march and BoT out

6. DisaFear

DisaFear Member

What martini said. Some also get ethereal blade or bloodstone at some point. You shouldn't need to upgrade to Travels 2 so early on. I haven't played Tinker with Aghanims yet but I don't think it gives you much early on. You shouldn't be at fights unless its really convenient.

Many people also get soul ring. You can keep refreshing it and your health shouldn't matter as you go back to base frequently anyway.

7. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

It was pretty much all I did...
    I focused on lane push and farm until I got blink, but felt I had to get Dagon and bot2 in order to bail my teammates out of ganks (also found a couple of kills by botsing in on SB charges.

It just feels like Tinker is only relevant if you have a team who can comfortably 4v5...

8. Chaffe

Chaffe Member

There's two ways to win as tinker.

Dominate the map (Early levels into Rocket/Lazer) : Starting with your own lane; there aren't a lot of heroes that can go toe to toe with Tinker in mid particularly with a Laser/Rockets build (Razor/Viper/LD/QoP~50/50). Destroy the opposition in mid and hope you get some good runes (not bounty runes, good consolation but you want normal runes to go and gank the side lanes with). This is similiar to the classical snowball strategies that a lot of mids employ. You have the ability to instantly kill most squishy supports but you also drop off if you haven't gotten at least 1 kill every 2 minutes (starting from the 15 minute mark).

Farm hard / Push hard / Turtle hard (maxing out march first) : You give up some of your laning power to be more of a farmer. This is the more consistent build and generally you'll get consistent timings on BoT/Blink but you also won't put as much pressure on the opponent earlier so if they have stronger late game this is a losing strategy. You need a strong additional core that can farm jungle whilst you push as he'll struggle to get farm from the lane. Keep in mind Tinker can be quite troublesome late game particularly with perma hex but this won't do much good if the opposition has strong lockdown.

Currently I'd say most team compositions force Tinker to go with attempting to dominate the map but you have the added problem that most line-ups also incorporate enough lockdown to deal with Tinker. Lion / Sand King / Earth Shaker / Shadow Shaman / Vengeful Spirit / Spirit Breaker / Bat Rider / Pheonix / Clockwerk / Slardar / Storm / Dragon Knight / Invoker pretty much put tinker in a no-win situation.

9. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Same goes for basically any hero that falls under "farming" or "pushing" categories.

10. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Good info.
    I think I notice Tinker more when I play against him and he's going the first option. Seems like whenever I play against him he wrecks me, but when I play as him I get wrecked.

I might investigate the agressive/ganker build.
    I just want to get off him... next hero will be Mirana, and at least I can win with her! :p

Yeah don't know though - Natures Prophet, death prophet, shadow shaman -> I 'get' them... Even if you're farming you can get a pretty tidy kill score by the end.

11. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Anyone thinking about going to the Manila Major?

US$106 for the most premium tickets seems like a great deal... if you can find cheap flights, could probably do the whole thing for about $600-$700...
    For a major event, it's pretty good value. Much more cost effective than TI.

I'm tempted, but wonder if there are any other Aussies headed over?

http://www.esl-one.com/dota2/manila-2016/

12. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

$700 to watch people play dota in person? Must be a real dota nut

13. Vassili

Vassili Member

Nup, I feel like enough of a neckbeard just buying the compendiums.

14. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Lol, fair enough...
    I do love the game. I play other sports IRL, but don't watch them. Happy to watch hours of Dota though.

The games would be pretty crappy to watch on stage (you could barely see what is happening), but like any sporting event it would be the atmosphere that would be the best part. :)

15. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

Yeah listening to the crowds when I'm watching a stream is still pretty good.
    I guess you miss out on your casters though. Depending on which even you go to.
    Watching the TI would be amazing though.

16. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

found some old screenshots from wc3 dota on Bored Aussies server, was so much better through wc3 imo.

http://imgur.com/a/smLYi

17. Chaffe

Chaffe Member

EM......... any screenshots containing that blight of mode need to be deleted and all media storing them physically destroyed.

WC3 DotA was well past it's use-bye date back when DotA 2 was released in my opinion. I will admit to some degree the additional mechanics required to pull certain maneuvers off do make me feel nostalgic at times especially when each patch Valve appear to be simplifying things for the amateur. It still doesn't offset the amount of cheaters or lack of match-making in WC3 DotA.

18. recoN

recoN Member

New compendium out. Seems pretty neat.

19. DisaFear

DisaFear Member

This battle pass is making people do stupid things! It's good when they are on the other team hehe. Was facing a Luna/Ember Spirit dual lane, where the ember was trying to searing chains to get his challenge done. They forget that you need to win the game too :tongue:

20. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

I just bought the battle pass yesterday. Was 5 minutes in and gave up on quest to try and win game.

It seems like pick spectre, win game.
    How do you counter this bastard?
    Other team picked spectre and medusa. Medusa got early kills in mid and it was gg.