DotA 2

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by gruntLOL, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Randy_Chuggs

Randy_Chuggs (Banned or Deleted)

I remember it peaked at 85k a few days ago, getting pretty popular

2. colliwogs

colliwogs Member

I'm keen to get on to this, can anyone hook a fellow ocau'er up with an invite? :)

3. Mr_LeE

Mr_LeE Member

Nailbomb, I completely agree with you on every point.

I have both, Dota 2 Beta and HoN.

As of lately, I much prefer HoN because it's more refined than DotA 2. Also Dota is about 1/3 slower than HoN.

I sometimes just jump on to play Pugna. that's all about it. I miss that little guy.

I traded my Diablo 3 beta account for 2 Dota 2 keys.. and my mates don't even play it anymore. (Got bored of D3 after I maxed out all the characters in a 2 weekends)

And no. I'm not handing out any keys.

4. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

When you say it's 1/3 slower. What is 1/3 slower? The games take 1.5-2 hours? The move speeds are slower? Are you getting 1/3 the kills?

5. Vassili

Vassili Member

Never played Hon?

6. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Never played Dota2. Countless hours on HON. Just see this 'it's slow' argument tossed around a lot and never actually seen someone clarify this by saying WHAT is slower and why that actually makes it worse.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  7. Vassili

Vassili Member

Oh, ok. Try youtube, plenty of videos. The entire pace of the game is in slo mo.

8. DarkForceMage

DarkForceMage Member

I played HoN and couldnt go back to Dota after because HoN felt 'faster paced', also gave LoL a good go when it first came out but I found it too cartoony and childish, also even slower than dota or hon and too simplistic for my playstyle.

Dota 2 looks like a slower version of dota so I seriously doubt I'll like it but we'll see.

Anyway, a page of 'HoN and LoL are shit' in a dota 2 thread isnt very constructive >_>...

Back on topic.. Beta key links anyone??

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  9. Mr_LeE

Mr_LeE Member

Hon game speed of the units are quicker. I guess if you have never played HoN and only Dota, then its nothing.

HoN games generally go quicker, because of the unit movespeeds and unit speeds are quicker.

It was actually handy, because when I went to DotA 2 again, it felt all in slow mo again haha

10. steamlover

steamlover Member

Any key giveaways?

11. jowjeh

jowjeh Member

Admin: Here, enjoy a 24hr ban for abuse.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2012
  12. moosi

moosi Member

Dota 2 tried too hard to please both worlds, sadly, its not possible. Sure you can deny and the heroes are that of Dota, but making the game as slow paced and shitty looking as LoL is such a turn off.

13. Kryten59

Kryten59 Member

I have the beta, never really played DOTA and never played HoN but I play a lot of LoL.
    Totally different gameplay styles really, while there are obviously similarities the meta is different and how I play my hero has to change drastically.

My main gripes (coming from LoL) are with the camera zoom and HUD scaling. It feels very closed in, especially when you see range finders on abilities that are outside your viewable area, it seems a bit stupid personally.
    Much more unforgiving compared to LoL, loss of cash on death and the fact you can so easily get 2 shotted by certain characters (Tiny, Zeus etc...) make it a very different game.

I was hanging for the beta and figured I'd quit LoL once I got it but after winning 4/5 games with players, then losing 5/6 games against bots it became frustrating with how unforgiving it is, how insane the bots are for a new player, and the overall lack of information I could find on how to play.

A lot of the discussion about the HUD and camera zoom seems to degenerate into "STFU noob, if you can't handle it then piss off back to bubblegum LoL with the other terribads!", which to me is just plain stupid. The camera zoom is a by product of WC3's engine, I'm not so sure it's a good legacy thing to carry over, expecially when you have abilities with such giant ranges on them that are unavoidable. Getting killed by someone off your screen sucks.

I think the game can be fun, but the learning curve is demonic, even for someone who has spent a large amount of time in MOBA games.

Lastly, bots on beginner are better than real players. They denied 2 towers in my first game? My own lane partner would steal every single creep last hit?
    Good AI sure but this was beginner! I'm trying to figure out the projectile and animation timing, how the courier works, how the general mechanics work and I can't farm and an opposing bot gets 19/2/15 from the other bots and them steamrolls us.
    Beginner bots need to be tones down drastically, having bots faceroll your team and deny you last hits/towers is an advanced tactic that you should learn later on, maybe medium/expert difficulty. At a beginner level it just denies you gold and the ability to try out build options.

14. Kryten59

Kryten59 Member

Just curious, how is LoL slow paced compared to DoTa?

15. othy

othy Member

I just got a beta invite his morning. Interesting as I've not signed up for it previously. I wonder if steam has been monitoring my LoL usage when both are running on my computer.

--

othy

16. moosi

moosi Member

no haste, no tp and thats just getting around the map. Other things like no denying add further to slower game pace.

17. r8response

r8response Member

Got my invite, played one game.

Think i'll pass. Not that it's a bad game, just i suck at it :p

Enemies and team mates are level 18+ and i'm still 11 and getting focused/smashed.

At least in LoL i feel i can contribute.

18. OP
    OP
    gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

Finally got my key! Installing now. Can't play till the weekend but I'll be good to go. A lot of my hon mates hated Dota at first but are slowly preferring Dota 2 so we shall see I guess. Will finally get to play it on the weekend :)

19. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

All these haters with their beta keys hating on the game, should give a key to a non-hater like me! I really wanna play!!!

20. Radioactiv3

Radioactiv3 (Banned or Deleted)

oo just got mail with an invite this morning, seems a new wave came?