1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

DotA 2

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by gruntLOL, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Kore_5022

Kore_5022 Member

Anyone happen to have a spare key atm ?

2. inkerek

inkerek Member

Bump for spare key? Good karma abounds for the generous :)

3. OP
    OP
    gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

Started messing around with a few of the Dota heroes that weren't ported to hon. Alchemist rocks!!

4. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

The reason HoN has a concede option is the game is generally faster than Dota2. But the problem with no having that option is you end up in a situation where people just sit in the fountain, intentionally feed or just simply leave the game. There is the abandon thing, but doesn't really do much.

5. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Had a game last night where we were absolutely stomping. One of their players was absolutely terrible and went AFK around lvl4. We ganked them hard for about 30mins and someone left, once the abandonment timer was gone all but their AFK and 1 player was left.

Instead of letting us push and just finish it he harassed us the entire way making it a pain to finish.

IMO, if someone leaves before 10 minutes, and the 5minute timer runs out you should be able to leave with no penalty. But, if players are left in the game, they can score a Win/Loss by either having the team with the leaver all leave, or by destroying the enemy Ancient. Players who leave less than 5mins before the end of the match also are given a Win/Loss.

There really should be a surrender option - if there is majority support for a surrender you should be able to end the game. Sometime even one player who refuses to just lose can drag a match out for an extra 10~20mins - I hate wasting time like that.

6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Surrender in general wrecks the game in the more common situation where both teams have 5 players and one team surrenders.

What about the time wasted for me to play 20 minutes of a game and then have the other team surrender? Sure you get some magic numbers in your profile, but you don't truly win the game until you destroy the Ancient.

7. LlamaOfDoom!!!

LlamaOfDoom!!! Member

Would also love a key for my steam "aresaid"..........

Been playing HoN since open beta, can't wait to get back on the DotA wagon. :D
    People saying team with tidehunter can't lose, c/d?

8. echineon

echineon Member

That can apply to any other heroes, Treant has very similiar ulti (not released in DotA 2 yet). It's ultimately depends on how well the whole team play the game and ready to cooperate with others which is hardly found in random matchmaking games, but sometimes does happen. :thumbup:

9. Pollywaffle

Pollywaffle Member

Yaaaay. I got an email this morning saying I won a key from Steam. Currently downloading!

10. C0ncrete

C0ncrete Member

I scored 4!

11. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

From my experience in HON, surrender is far more positive than negative. I don't enjoy a 50-10 game and the only reason to enjoy that is if you enjoy padding out your KD ratio. Close game is a good game. I want to play a competitive game. Without surrender people fountain sit, play stupid, get angry, and no one has a good time. With surrender you grab a quick win, and go play another game. Does it suck when you're on a roll and the game ends at 15 minutes? Yes. But it sucks far more when your team isn't up to it and you have to play 30-40 minutes of awful game.
    I hope Dota2 copies HONs forfeit system. Forfeit after 15 minutes with 5/5 vote. Forfeit after 30 minutes with 4/5 to make up for those times where you have 1 unreasonable asshole who is usually ruining the game.

Don't seem to have received any invites. Friends playing for less time have received invites to send out. Seems to be random, or is it perhaps based on play time?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  12. OP
    OP
    gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

I've beaten tide hunters before but his ult absolutely wrecks, we actually beat a tidehunter that had a refresher for his ulti last night, bkb took care of that :D

13. FreakX

FreakX Member

I can't wait till i get my new mouse so i can continue playing DoTA2. Funny story really. i was playing SCII and my left mouse click kept fucking me over so i put my elbow through the mouse a few times while in rage mode.

Anyways aside my my rage fit....

Do you guys think they have changed to much in dota2? Some skills don't even look remotely the same and most heroes follow that suit. I get copyright issues with blizzard, but it just dosent feel the same with stuff looking so much different. Also the shop system also feels totally alien to me... It too me ages to figure out how to buy something. Maybe im just nitpicking cause im a long time dota player. But dose anyone else feel the same way?

14. OP
    OP
    gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

FUUU dislike if someone leaves game does not count even if team that loses the player wins.

WHY WASTE 30 OF MY MINUTES VALVE?!

15. Hens

Hens Member

the animations may look different but I believe most of the actual spells have been made as close to the current version of wc3 dota as possible.

There are a couple of shop views and I think that you will find after a few games its no more difficult than the original interface and in some respects easier.

Being able to rebind keys without a third party program or *ini editting is awesome :thumbup:

16. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I doubt that will remain once the forfeit system is put in. Plus there's next to no stat tracking at the moment and your stats will almost certainly be wiped, before the game launches. So if you had a good time then that's all that matters!

17. Kore_5022

Kore_5022 Member

Re-binding of keys being simple was great, always hated using the numpad.

Also i just spent a good hour or so re-making bot games and stuffing around, get used to the shop, graphics, spell animations etc pretty quickly i found.

Is a bit laggy though, and the match maker seems to be stuffed for me

18. fewiohro3rw

fewiohro3rw Member

Just got a licence from the steam HW survey. So.... are people nice to players who've never really played DOTA style games before? I've always wanted to try... or is it too late?

19. FreakX

FreakX Member

So far in my experience of DoTA2, people have been pretty nice compared to the original dota. Then again i have played alot of DoTA1 so i kind of know what im doing. Even if there is hate, don't let that stop you. People are always gonna hate on people who are bad. Just prove the haters wrong by learning the game and becoming good. Research what items you need for each hero. If you have 2 monitors just put the build order for the hero you picked on your second monitor. If you do this each game, you shouldnt have a problem learning what items to get. The rest of the games just based on last hitting creeps to gain gold and being good at team work.

20. shizmo

shizmo Member

It's alot more noob friendly than original but still a bit rough... Play the bot coop matches and see if you can get some advice, Or better still get into a game and watch it live from beggining to end. At least that way you can watch specific players and see what they do and when. I am talking the basics not the strats.

Put in the time and it really is rewarding.