1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

DotA 2

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by gruntLOL, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Near

Near Member

He is generally played as support throughout the game. However, if you rack up enough assists, you can think about going carry. In HoN my friend and I called him Windicator (see Vindicator) before his glaives got nerfed hardcore.

Generally you'd go carry if your team just can't catch a break, or if they're utterly useless and you want a bit of fun. Stack dat int and hit like a truck. Scythe of Vyse, Shivas, Atos and Orchid will give you a massive damage increase will giving some survivability. This is pretty standard building for late game mega-damage, and I doubt the game will go long enough to be able to farm them all. If you want to go carry from the outset, I'd start with a Scythe of Vyse and then a Shiva's, but it depends on the game. Orchid and Atos are interchangeable.

2. Clippit

Clippit Member

it's a highly original name
    you might already have me - i'm under 'island thursday'

3. echineon

echineon Member

My mate is a decent OD player so whenever I random Silencer he gets a boner. :D

My take on Silencer is that his early harassment is crazy to rack up kill so about 2-3 mins in I can expect first blood if I have follow up stun or disable in my lane. You might want to take Q and E in early laning phase to harass enemy and depends on your performance you can rack up int stat to deal decent damage in ganking phase (about 8-10 mins in when it's night time). Phase boot isn't bad on Silencer if your more inclined to semi-carry role, it provides good chasing power and damage boost for last hitting.

When it reaches 5 man doto stage, honestly I can't see him going full-on carry due to his skill set and int stat doesn't synergy well with that role. However, you can stay back and deal damage - quite a chunk of damage at that btw, use Q and W to disarm enemy carry. Again, Silencer ult destroys team fight. I got 75% win rate in pub game in this way. Even couple of match when we could have lost, Silencer ult just gave us the last push to win back the game. We even got a guy stay quiet the whole game, copped a lot of criticism from the team and when we won that decisive team fight he put on We are the champion by Queen. Was great fun. :lol:

4. Chaffe

Chaffe Member

From what I've seen he's changed from what is traditionally a situational carry to a strong support. Whilst he still has carry potential with glaives you need to get kills and rack up the intel to really dish out the damage late game. The key to success now with silencer is to get aggressive early and use last word to harass heavily along with glaives and curse when you see an opportunity (the obvious time is straight after last word goes off). Hopefully your opponent will get frustrated and make a mistake or he will completely back-off leaving you with free-farm. Wards are essential for silencer as he has absolutely no escape until you buy one. You can get away by wasting your ulti and following up with a TP but that's a poor option when your ulti can potentially destroy a team during big fights. Once global silence has been used good teams will take the chance to push hard whilst they know they're safe.

If things go well whilst supporting there is potential with all the intel stolen to transition to a secondary DPS hero that hunts down supports during fights.

Once silencer gets back into the CM pool expect nerfs as he is basically a momentum hero that can still function extremely well when shut down.

5. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Have started randoming constantly to try get a feel for a variety of heroes. Just played as timbersaw, he's actually pretty awesome.

6. echineon

echineon Member

Indeed, I quit dota at 6.5x so there were a lot of changes and new heroes. Good thing is I got my beta key quite early to learn the rope again and it was quite fulfilling.

7. KosTanzA

KosTanzA Member

Been playing for about a week now with no prior dota experience. Love the game but hate my team sometimes. Still play random, trying to get a general feel for most heroes. If anyone wants some arranged games (i usually play between 5-8pm +8 on weekdays) feel free to add me to steam

8. Snoochems

Snoochems Member

I have a couple of questions.

Carriers. Sometimes I buy stuff and get the mule on his way, and make sure the little symbol has my face in it to show it is coming to me. I go back to pwning creeps. I look back at the minimap, and the carrier is going off somewhere else. I reselect it, and try and make it come to me, but it has to be done manually. Meanwhile, the team mate that "stole" the carrier from me is having a cry. Very frustrating.

How can you tell who reported you, and what they said, in what game. I just finished a game and found myself reported. I dominated in the match, and am thinking someone just reported me because he was butthurt.

9. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

the mule is shared by all players... if u dont want to share the mule.. then dont buy it lol

after playing this for around a week... the connection process is really stupid... takes 4 minutes to make a game.. then u gotta wait til everyone clicks ok.. then u gotta wait til everyone can load... if anyone cant then queue again... wtf... why dont they just get another player to join instead of starting again?? how retarded.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  10. Snoochems

Snoochems Member

I know the mule is shared, that is not the problem. To make it clearer, there are times when I have selected the mule, told it to bring my loot to me, verified that my toons face appears on the mule interface slot, but somewhere along the way, he forgets about me and goes to someone else. My mind is usually trying to plan ahead, and usually i wait for my gear to arrive. Very frustrating when it never arrives. Even more so when i select the mule again, see it has my stuff but cant tell it to bring it to me. Have to manually move it, drop the loot, pick it up, and then send it home.

Regarding the connection process, yes, it seems irrationally long winded.

I wish they would add a team forfeit function. For those times when the opposite team is 5+ level over your team, and it is just dragging on and on...

11. Clippit

Clippit Member

yeah you can 'steal' the courier (it's not a currier or a carrier) from someone who's using it but it's not very nice. you can also hog the courier and make it deliver 1 iron branch at a time and you'll piss everyone else off. I find when i have that issue with the courier it's because i've bought something in the meantime and it's trying to go back to base to get it before delivering everything.

connection process makes sense to me - it's designed to get 10 people in the game together with minimum dicking around. if you have a lot of intermediate lobbies where you can drop in and out it would be a mess and would also break the matchmaking system

also i believe there's no forfeit button because they want to encourage players to actually try and not just abandon games

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  12. Error-prone

Error-prone Member

When the courier is interrupted and you want to resend it, just click on the courier and click the "transfer items" button. Your heroes portrait should reappear after doing this.

13. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

3 leavers on my team, 2v5. :( Fed a bit before they left too.

Got dominated. Damn leavers making me rage

14. Idryss

Idryss Member

Just started trying out invoker. Love him so far. Hard to get the hang of but so versatile. Kinda like Morgana in LoL in that he can dominate when played well and do multiple roles based on build and is a bitch to counter.

15. wOOt

wOOt (Banned or Deleted)

If anyone needs invites please send me a message i have so many don't even know what to do with them.

16. Idryss

Idryss Member

How do you find out how many invites you have (if any)?

17. wOOt

wOOt (Banned or Deleted)

18. Mikos

Mikos Member

Does anyone have a spare cd key? Need it for a mate who is keen to give it a try, I have none :(

19. wOOt

wOOt (Banned or Deleted)

Msg me his steam send when i get home

20. Mikos

Mikos Member

Thanks, PM sent!