Double-wide frying pan

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by s3kemo, Oct 24, 2012.

1. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

Hey guys,

Maybe my google skills aren't so good this morning, but I'm after a frying pan that's rectangular to cover 2 hotplates on the stove. Reason being, I like to cook my bacon/eggs/mushrooms in one pan and cooking for more than 1 is hard... and I hate juggling frying pans. Plus it's easier to have a 'warm' side for the side that sits over an off burner, and a hot side to cook what's left to cook.

Anyone know of any brands/websites that I can take a look at? It's just a rectangular frying pan with a handle... I thought they'd be easier to find than this :(

inb4 use the bbq. I'm talking about inside for this one. Shuffling things around on the one bbq hotplate is super easy, so I want to do the same inside.

Thanks!

edit: kinda like this but with a handle if possible - http://shop.myer.com.au/shop/en/mye...ed-grill-and-plate-50cm-extra-large-975741770

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  2. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  3. Zuby

Zuby Member

Have a look for teppenyaki plates, they are large rectangular ones like the one you linked. Should be able to find them a lot cheaper than that too. However, never seen any with a frying pan handle...that would be some serious amount of weight to lift with a handle!

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes, I doubt you'd find those big grill plates with a frying pan type handle. Not only wouldn't you be able to lift it (especially if cast iron), but it wouldn't be safe. A frypan can have the handle turned to the side, but that would by necessity have it sticking out the front which would be a kitchen hazard. I think you'd only ever find those handles at the sides like the one you linked to.

5. OP
    OP
    s3kemo

s3kemo Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

The reason I want a handle is I wash my pans immediately after cooking... helps get the oil off while the pan is still hot.

So I guess the size of the handle isn't important but I was hoping to be able to grab it without a mitten.

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

Even if you could lift it, the balance would be way out of whack with something that size. I've got the chasseur crepe pan and it weighs a ton. The big grill plate would only be two-hand lift, for sure. It's an opportunity to buy some good oven mitts - shopping time. :thumbup:

7. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

It's generally recommended not to wash your pans while they're still hot. Cooling steel quickly is generally not a good idea due to expansion and contraction. So says my Le Chasseur instructions. :D

8. Romen

Romen Member

Yep.. causes the cookware to bow.

9. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

pretty sure i've seen some large electric frypans?

10. OP
    OP
    s3kemo

s3kemo Member

The handle isn't so much for moving it around (like, say shuffling a pan to stir the ingredients) as much as it's for holding it still on the pan or for maneuvering it around the sink to clean it while it's still hot.

Sorry, meant to say I use hot water. Cold water just makes oil solidify, so hot water is the only way it works.

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

Those big grill plates won't be moving. The instructions do say to let them cool down before wetting (hot or cold) so maybe rethink how you clean it. If you still want to wash it while hot, get one of those oldfashioned dishmops. I expect you'd only fit the big grill plates in a laundry trough, so half of it would be sticking out in a kitchen sink. You can touch hot stuff if you wear rubber gloves with cotton gloves underneath. If it's cast iron, the handle will get hot anyway.

12. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

try de-glazing the pan while on the heat instead of drenching it in water.

13. Dogo

Dogo Member

14. Romen

Romen Member

Hot water is still at least 100c 'colder' than a hot pan...

I dont see why they dont have such pans though, just have a clip off/on handle for safety etc.

15. ph3var

ph3var Member