Downloads over wifi stop after a few seconds

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Gruggy, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Gruggy

Gruggy Member

Just picked up a new Lenovo T460s and am having a very strange wifi issue. Websites load quickly and downloads up to about 1MB are all fine. However, if I try to download a file that would take more than a few seconds to complete, the download will start at full speed then rapidly drop down to 0.

Wired downloads are fine as are wifi file transfers from my local network, the issue only impacts WAN downloads. I've tried both the internal adapter and a USB adapter and the problem persists. My router is an ASUS DSL-AC68U running the latest firmware and the issue doesn't impact any other device on my network.

I've done some Googling and played with all manner of settings on both the router and the machine and haven't seen any improvement. Any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  2. NiRdoC

NiRdoC Member

I'm assuming you're talking about download links from web pages and if so, try another web browser on the same download link.

Strange issue you're having but unlike people, computers are logical so it's just a matter of elimination.

3. OP
    OP
    Gruggy

Gruggy Member

Tried both Edge and Chrome. Ninite/app installers have the same problem.

4. NiRdoC

NiRdoC Member

Try checking your advanced power settings on the Wireless Adapter Settings or disable any Power Management via Device Manager.

5. OP
    OP
    Gruggy

Gruggy Member

Thanks for the reply, but I've tried fiddling with these already!

I have Wireless Adapter Settings on "Maximum Performance".

Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power is set to "No".

6. dacow

dacow Member

To ensure it's not a compat issue between your WiFi in the laptop and the router, have you connected the laptop to your phone's mobile hotspot to see if it's an issue still?

If yes, then it's probably something in the OS that's doing it.

7. OP
    OP
    Gruggy

Gruggy Member

Tried tethering my phone and same issue.

The USB wifi adapter I tried works fine in other PCs.

8. drrevenge

drrevenge Member

Definitely sounds like something funny in the OS.

If it's a new unit and you've not done much with it, you could try reloading the OS via the recovery partition on the box.

If you've done some stuff on it, boot up off a linux distro and see if you have the same issue outside of windows. If it works fine, then you know something is screwy in your OS.

9. i7Baby

i7Baby Member

10. OP
    OP
    Gruggy

Gruggy Member

Yeah been meaning to give a Linux boot a go. Already tried a factory refresh.

Thanks for the link. Tried most of these but there's a couple I might have missed. Will report back.

11. dacow

dacow Member

Linux isn't too hard to try because you can just boot up with a Live CD/USB image as a temporary test.

Otherwise nothing stopping you from opening it up and replacing the WiFi card :) :thumbup:

12. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

I would be leaning to an OS config for wifi..

which version of Windows are you using?
    Def try one of the linux live boots to verify if it is a problem with wifi card (but from what you have said it does not sound like HW issue)

13. OP
    OP
    Gruggy

Gruggy Member

Actually just turned off wifi on my phone and tethered and it seemed to run fine.

Must be hating on my router...

Any thoughts on settings to play with?

14. OP
    OP
    Gruggy

Gruggy Member

I ended up using an old router I dug up as an access point and it seems to work OK. Seriously weird that it just hates on one particular router.

15. drrevenge

drrevenge Member

You mention that the issue happens with your phone tethered using the wifi, but when you turn the wifi off, and it uses (what I assume is 3 or 4G) it works fine. So it seems that the issue could be related to the wifi.

When you use the internet through your wifi on your phone (not tethered, just using the phone) do you have similar speed issues? If so, then it's something to do with the wifi signal you're getting.

What wireless connection are you trying to use? The T460s I would assume would have Wireless AC, but is that connecting at 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? Possibly you have some form of wireless interference, or a connection issue.

The fact that your older router works (possibly wireless N) is that you're having issues with the Wireless signal. Wireless AC whilst faster than N is not as good over long distances, and while you still have connection, the distance could be dropping the speeds for you. Interestingly you did mention that local files in your network were ok though.

I didn't see you document if you did try the linux CD and see how you went. My thought though is that you've either got something in your environment giving you an issue (don't have anything throttling your wireless usage do you?) ie, a setting in the router that is causing issues, or a wireless signal issue.

You could for example, try setting up a network with just wireless N on 2.4Ghz, then 5.0 Ghz and then try it again on the Wireless AC working out where the sweet spot is.

Best of luck.

16. OP
    OP
    Gruggy

Gruggy Member

Wifi works fine on every other device including my phone. Devices include PCs using old N-wifi adapters, phones running 5ghz AC, tablets running N etc. Hell, even my old PS3 on G works fine (or as fine as it ever ran anyway - Sony really uses some horse shit adapters in their products).

The issue happens on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks when using the laptop's built-in AC wifi. It also happens when using a 2.4ghz USB wifi adapter. The signal is 100% not the issue as I can copy at 10+MB/sec from the local network.

Had no luck getting Linux to boot (tried creating a bootable Ubuntu USB stick using uNetbootin and Rufus) although it's probably my shitty USB sticks.

I've switched on and off every advanced setting in the router with no change.

I think I'll just chalk it up to one of those random incompatibilities that will forever go unexplained!

17. drrevenge

drrevenge Member

Thanks for the extra info. From the sounds of things, you're not wanting to go too much further, so we'll leave it be.

(Although just for future note, I'd say that the T460s will be using UEFI to boot from, so if your UEFI options aren't set to Legacy, that could be why you're having issues, unless your version of Ubuntu does support UEFI.)

18. OP
    OP
    Gruggy

Gruggy Member

Thanks for the heads up. Pretty sure I tried the Legacy setting but I'll give it a go.

Although I'm not sure what I'll gain from determining if the adapter works under Linux. I guess it rules out hardware incompatibility (although trying the second adapter that works fine on other machines surely already confirms the issue is an OS level thing?).

19. drrevenge

drrevenge Member

Was both hardware incompatability and the OS. Something is going very strange with your setup, if that when you tether your phone using wifi you have the same issue, but if you use 4G, it worked fine...

That pretty much rules out your wireless card being any cause of the issue, and more so something to do with the OS. Now as to what that is, as your laptop shouldn't care what the source is when it's tethered with your phone is a bit odd...

You mention that you've tried a recovery but it didn't resolve the issue. I've got a T450 with a linksys router, and I've never had any issues with my wireless like you're experiencing.

You could try another recovery on the thinkpad, and backup your config from your router, load that to defaults, and in the same room try again with a speed test or something. Before any updates are applied to either.

Then if it works with both being on factory defaults, then you know it's some form of change. But then if it doesn't work, then you could look at either a linux live CD to see how you go, or if you have a spare HDD and Windows, you could perform a vanilla install without any of the extra stuff and see how that goes.