Dr Dre Beats

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Miff88, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Miff88

Miff88 Member

Oki, so i was walking through the local JB HiFi with the GF at latenight shopping this thursday and i stumbled into the headphone demo section. At first i was like "ew, exit please" but then i kinda saw a price tag from a far. it read "$599 Beat by Dr Dre", which pretty much made me go "Phaww, bullshit"!

So after the "Phaww" and the "bullshit" past i went over and tried them on. It just so happened there was a dubstep song playing (atm it's my thing) and started enjoying. The soud was very crisp and sounds alot clearer than my Logitech G35 that i use for gaming and music. Next came the whole $599, really? thing. So i turned it to max, as loud as the store volume will let it go. Usually my logitech cant handly ANY dub, trance, mix and/or anything with alot of bass. These headphones did not even sweat it... I must say i was shocked.

Next was the "well, these are expensive but is there any difference from the other brands?" I started just going from headphone to headphone. I played the same song through all of the other headphones at the same volume and NONE of them sounded like the Dre's. The sony $500 pair distorted, the Senn's sounded muffled, the AKG's sounded like the speaker was going to hurt me and the TDK's were way too basey for their driver.

That brings me to my purchase... Tonight after being bored, and about to crawl into bed i did my usual rounds - Facebook, ebay, emails, work emails, ocau and superseeds. Just tonight i was stopped at ebay. The thing that stopped me was the Dr Dre Beats DETOX for $199 buy it now with $20 postage. Just incase people dont know that the DETOX model is, its the limited edition which is $100 more expensive than the current top of the line... which retails for $599. So i found a $699 pair of Dr Dre's for $220 posted. Pretty much hit buy it now, payed with paypal and already orded my zalman clipon mic =D

2. sickbunny

sickbunny Member

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  3. OP
    OP
    Miff88

Miff88 Member

I dont mind tbh. If i find out they are fake i will just open a paypal dispute to get it sorted. It isn't enough money to be all ragey about even if i need to wait while it gets sorted.

4. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Yep, Beats are probably the most faked phones on the market. There's no way you got the real deal at that price.

BTW, being able to go really really loud and throw out shedloads of bass is not a marker of SQ. Beats bass is not good, it smothers everything else. No surprise they sound better than logitechs tho.

There are plenty of good headphones that will handle bass as well, and they cost less than Beats, which are massively overpriced fashion statements.

5. OP
    OP
    Miff88

Miff88 Member

I know I didn't try every headphones out there, but out of the 20 or so I tried out at jb, the beats met my audio needs.

As for them being fake, you guys might be right, but if they are papal and ebay will fix it. Ive messaged the seller to ask for genuine proof of the product. Being from an australian seller kinda gives me higher hopes lol.

6. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

I hope they aren't fake. I doubt I will ever buy headphones for that price or buy something with 'Dr Dre' in them but I know where your coming from with mainstream 'gaming' headphones to a comparison to something with so much more quality.

Glad to see you gave yours ears/hearing a present :thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    Miff88

Miff88 Member

thank you =D

Yeah, the Logitech's have lasted me awhile and while they were perfectly fine in all ways, except the god dam cable ALWAYS some how tangles it's self without even being used! the beats just could play the music i like at higher volumes with zero quality loss

I've put a hold on the funds till the seller sends me proof they are genuine :Pirate:

8. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

They're local and still less than $200? I can only say your optimism is admirable. you know what they say about something being too good to be true?

JB don't sell that great a range. Even the pricey Senn's there contain many of their meh models. The HD25 is one of their best IMO.

If Bass is your thing, then Ultrasone are known for it, and cost a lot less than Beats - almost everything does.

9. OP
    OP
    Miff88

Miff88 Member

Lol, yeah, I'm still hanging on that they are real. The seller has over 1k positive feedback

I haven't really done any research on headphones other than the jb trials. I did think that jb wouldnt have the top of the line models.

10. Tetsuma

Tetsuma Member

Head over to head-fi for a little research. You'll quickly find that the head-fi collective hates them (beats). You'll also find about a dozen or two alternatives from well known brands and some esoteric ones.

I'm with drubbing on the pricing/genuinity. Sennheiser rip-offs flood ebay, if you wanted a pair of IE7/8s you'd need to buy from an authorized dealer or not bother at all. Beats aren't far off in terms of knock-offs.

11. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

I sell Sennheiser and AKG (and the odd pair of Denons). They both have some excellent models in the $500 bracket that will shit all over those "Dr Dre endorsed" boomcans. :)

I hope the ebay ones turn out to be genuine. If not, check out some better hifi shops than JB, as others have suggested. The chain stores get the low end stuff, bigger margins/quantity purchasing discounts on them. A good hifi shop will have examples of a range of models you can listen to, you might wind up short of $500 but still very happy with the sound. :)

12. Daemos

Daemos Member

Basically like Bose any "Beats" headphones are "decent" if you pay like 1/3rd their price.

I have some headphones cheaper than the beats (at the price you paid) that would blow them away...but I also have some hifiman HE-6 that would blow lots of headphones and speaker systems away :)

13. lithos

lithos Member

14. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Got some 'fake' diddy beats from deal extreme, gotta say they sound pretty damn good for the money. As near as I can tell they're a pretty good replica.

OP: can you take your cheap ones into the store and do a side-by-side comparison?

15. rm -rp ./Matt*

rm -rp ./Matt* Member

If the ebay ones turn out to be fake check out the range at headphones.com.au , free shipping, plenty of good brands there, just look for ones that are bassy if you're wanting that in a headphone.

16. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

17. knowskillz

knowskillz Member

I just came back from hong kong and saw some fake Dr Dre's Beats at the flea market, you cannot tell if hey're real or fake even the boxes are identical and the only give away was the price tag was $20 so just beware of fakes you buy on ebay.

18. hamishbindrinki

hamishbindrinki Member

would be interested to see once you received them to take them into a store and do a side by side comparison. Some of the knock offs you see these days are concerning accurate visually.

19. ke70

ke70 Member

Just got back from Thailand and the market stalls were full of the beats headphones.

My mate heard the originals(DETOX) here in Australia and then tested the fake ones over there, he said that they still sound pretty good but he had nothing to compare them to. So I think he was excited from the cheap price and just trying to justify buying them to himself.

My other mate bought the in ear ones and two of them the hands free or track skip rocker thing didn't work.

I didn't bother as I knew they would break as soon as I started to use them.

20. ke70

ke70 Member

They looked pretty good, packaging and all.

You can't really tell they are fake, apart from them being sold in a market along with "genuine" diesel tshirts.

Side by side would be interesting.