1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dr Dre Beats

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Miff88, Nov 28, 2011.

1. lithos

lithos Member

Did you just tell us to not listen to you?

All I'm reading is a massive amount of cognitive dissonance as you try to justify your purchase.

And I'd be careful who you call a wanker, especially if you're paying to do advertising for Dr. Dre.

2. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Your a special kind of idiot, aren't you?

3. Lardman

Lardman Member

AD700's are not built for bass. If you like bass get the non-open models - the soundstage is what you really by the AD series for.

Well, I agree. Go and test some decent headphones NOT at a retail outlet unless the retail outlet has some decent audio gear and some high end headphones with sources that aren't terrible for trials. Listen to them for at least an hour, too.

I'd like to pit some beats vs Audio Technica W1000X, or the Sennheiser HD650. Or the AKG 701's. Guarantee that they won't be as good.

Dear God I hope you're trolling.

See also: Audio Technica ATH-Pro700Mk2.
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/553735/aud...-take-two-subwoofers-straight-to-the-head/225

I've got a pair and these take the beats around town on a leash when it comes to bass.

It's one of the only indications - the best thing to do is demo them.

ESW9's are a little light on the bass, but the M50/Pro700Mk2 are much better for electronica.
    I demoed the W1000X and my W3000ANV's, they're very similar but in the end I impulse bought the Anniversary models. :p

I like your choice, though. What do you amp them with?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  4. RSDXzec

RSDXzec Member

wow $600 on a pair of earphones.... lol if you want good bass get some subwoofers. I spend like $5 on a pair of earphones but a fair bit more on car audio, overhauling my sound system atm and I'm pretty sure the bass coming from my 12" might be a bit better than the one coming from your earphones :p

5. Lardman

Lardman Member

Edit: wow, what happened there....

Try some real monitors with an amp. :p

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  6. alco23

alco23 Member

I already have a pretty good subwoofer ;). Here's what I have for my home theater setup (Epik Empire dual 15"):
    [​IMG]
    Big Boom vs Small Boom by Dr. Sammy Lee, on Flickr

7. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

i have a big subwoofer in my car as well

8. miicah

miicah Member

Hahaha wow dat subwoofa

9. Comma

Comma Member

Depends what you consider better.

Sure a subwoofer can move a lot more energy and low frequency energy at that, but you only need so much.

Like most people who have heard some serious cans or decent speakers, you want crisp well defined bass, mixed in correctly with your mids and highs, not just a muddy overbearing blast of air... although some seem to think that having that is more enjoyable for some reason.

10. alco23

alco23 Member

Just a Fiios E10 right now. Doing a lot of reading and research trying to find something I can buy here (Germany) and bring back that may not be easily obtainable in Australia.

Totally agree. A good sub fills out the sound and you do not really "hear" it. Unfortunately, most people tend to think a good sub is one they can hear the bloat, those subs caters well to the crowd that wants the rest of the street hearing their shitty music.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  11. mtma

mtma Member

^Beyer DT150? Not sure about Germany but I did get my pair from the UK at a rather good price (even accounting for the exuberant shipping price)

Though I hear the tax in Germany is also quite significant so maybe there's not that much advantage.

12. Lardman

Lardman Member

I've got a Fostex HP-A7, perhaps try one of those? (It's a made in Japan unit, but I hear they did get shipped somewhat.)

13. alco23

alco23 Member

I can get stuff shipped from UK (or anywhere else within the EU) to me without getting hit with stupidly high import taxes (~23% of local retail price). Tempted to get some custom Beyer's to contrast my A-T's, but they don't seem to be any cheaper buying within Germany.

I'll look into those cheers :). Maybe I'll spot one in EU for sale on head-fi so I don't need to worry about importing it.

14. RSDXzec

RSDXzec Member

it's only muddy if you don't know how to set the gains, I use ohms law to do so and haven't had any distortion since.

I enjoy having my whole body shake when I listen to music with heavy bass, I mean what is bass if it's only in your ears...

15. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Some people, many people prefer to hear music. If you have that much bass, you're not hearing anything else.

16. Lardman

Lardman Member

There's not a whole lot of info on them sadly, but comparing mine to a Burson HA-160D I definitely find it on par, if not better.

Having said that though, getting it for $560 whilst in Japan might have affected that decision..

17. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Or if you have an entire music collection made of hip hop/rap songs, then the Beats are great.

18. miicah

miicah Member

Except even hip hop is more than just bass?

19. 2SHY

2SHY Member

That may be so, but i know the beats work great with that genre and not much else.

20. Omnomnom

Omnomnom Member

If a song is already recorded with a significant amount of bass, why would you want headphones that further exaggerate that feature of the music?