Dr Pepper Club

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MrSmith, Jul 11, 2006.

1. influx

influx Member

I was at the coles in west leederville today and I spotted Dr Pepper!

its belgian, apparently. bought a can, cost $1.87 for 330ml.

2. shadowman

shadowman Member

I'm super excited as I sit here right now. I've just received my carton + 2 bottles of DUBLIN Dr. Pepper from USA foods. Oh this is going to be a sweeeeet Christmas. They had a promo on for Carton of 20 plus 2 bottles of Dublin for $25, so I couldn't resist. When I enquired last time with Dr. Pepper themselves, it was going to cost around $120 for a carton of the cans direct from Texas, so this seems like a much more cost effective way.

3. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Yeah i got the same deal but i got 2 slabs + 4 Bottles.

Sweet deal honestly.

4. The Wiz

The Wiz Member

I just picked up a few cans of Dr Pepper and a can of Code Red from Lynwood IGA on the weekend. The Code Red was $1.79 regular price, Dr Pepper $1.99 on special from $2.30. I hadn't had Code Red before but I wasn't that impressed with it myself, I love normal Mountain Dew, but I think I'll stick to the Dr Pepper for my Cherry fix.

The Dr Pepper I got from IGA is from the UK and after getting my last batches from USA Foods and getting the Dublin Dr Pepper, I have to say that there is a big difference in taste between the two. The UK stuff tastes a bit watered down - has anyone else noticed this?

5. Albinus

Albinus Member

If I'm not mistaken, the poms and the yanks use different sweeteners in soft drinks - much like Coke here tastes different to that in the US :)

6. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

there are four distinct tastes between the 4 different dr pepper's i've had.

dutch
    british
    american
    dublin

the american one uses the abhorrent HFCS.
    dublin (which is actually dublin, texas) still uses real sugar so is fantastic.
    the dutch and british ones also use real sugar, but the pommy one tastes much better.
    the dutch ones leave a metallic taste in my mouth.

of the four, i would say the pommy one tastes the best.

7. Albinus

Albinus Member

I'd still like to know why the great hate on high fructose corn syrup? Many jump up and down saying "it's bad, mmkay?" but the truth of the matter is overconsuming *any* type of sugar (fructose, sucrose, dextrose, glucose etc) is bad for us - if anything HFCS is marginally better being a lower GI form of sugar :)

8. looktall

i was talking purely from a taste perspective.

it's shithouse. :)

9. Albinus

Albinus Member

Just checking, as there's a big scare campaign in the media at times in the states about HFCS being the cause of all evil, kittens spontaneously combusting and A380s losing engines over Indonesia :p

10. The Wiz

The Wiz Member

This is an interesting presentation on High Fructose Corn Syrup that was posted in another thread a while back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

It's pretty long but worth watching some of it.

11. foxpsych

foxpsych Member

hell yeah! liquid almonds! *drool* dr pepper rocks

12. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

if anyone in melb is after dr pepper, costco has/had them on sale on the weekend.. but they only had less than 10 slabs and sorry can't remember the price

13. shadowman

shadowman Member

I have to agree. After going through a couple of cans of Dublin already, I still prefer the UK Dr. Pepper that my local Foodworks sells (fairly cheap oo, $1.23 a can).

There is one exception to the above though, and thats the Dublin I bottles I received, Dr. Pepper at its best.

I wonder if there is decent enough demand that they'll bring it back here. Surely Coca-Cola must be aware that there is a whole bunch of 'grey' import Dr. Pepper in Australia that is viable to bring it back? You can pretty much walk into most IGAs these days and they'll have it.

14. Albinus

Albinus Member

Very informative from a biochemistry perspective, however there's still no hard and fast conclusion within the scientific over the true extent of fructose and health. I think the best thing to obtain is that everything in moderation, and if you're going to consume fructose - get the fibre as well (such as eating whole fruit instead of juice that has been processed) :thumbup:

15. Badooleoo

Badooleoo Member

Is there a wiki page with locations where you can buy it?

Id like to know if there is any places in Adelaide.

16. Sanzy

Sanzy Member

The sandwich shop down the road from my work has started to stock Dr Pepper can's (looks like they either import them themselves or have another local source)

So now it makes lunch just that bit better with an ice cold Dr Peper in the fridge of the food shop waiting for me.

17. Neph

Neph Member

Foodland sell dr pepper and cherry dr pepper for $2.50, like 50 stores in SA o_O

I miss Dr Pepper Max from when I was in UK, 3 aussie for a 2litre bottle at sanisburys :(
    Iceland (store not country) sold Dr pepper 3litre too while I was there :o

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  18. looktall

i don't think so but feel free to trawl through the two threads in here that list where to buy it from and create an entry. :)

i've often thought about doing it but... you know...

19. Wozzernux

Wozzernux Member

Cheers for the info mate, I'll have to check it out! :) I prefer Code Red over Cherry Coke, I find that Code Red has a sharper cherry flavour.

Also just had an actual read of a Dr Pepper can I've been drinking, these are from Schweppes Belgium. What type would that fall under, UK I'm assuming? It tastes pretty damned good! :Paranoid:

20. rm -rp ./Matt*

rm -rp ./Matt* Member

Has anyone gone to a local IGA or other store that sells Dr Pepper and requested a slab? If so did you get any discount?