1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Dremel cutting disc help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by brad89, Aug 16, 2008.

1. brad89

brad89 Member

Hey guys, i need to buy some cutting discs for my dremel but i'm not sure what type to get and where from...

I found these on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/20pcs-Cuttin...oryZ2594QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is the option to choose between Aluminium Oxide and Silicone Carbide, both in Reinforced and Non-Reinforced.

Would any of them be be suitable for cutting up my CM690 case? If not, what should i be looking for, and where from?

Cheers

2. nelson92

nelson92 Member

this is what i bought

ebay link

still have plenty left(>70)

I used them to cut a window for my CM690 that didnt turn out right because of my crappy measurements and lack of masking tape.

3. scottath

scottath Member

Nice link - i'm using the said disks after brad is - and i'm buying the dremel off him also......

How long did the discs take to come out from the US?
    Homw long does each disk last?

4. nelson92

nelson92 Member

took around 2weeks i think or maybe less.

The longetivity of a disc depends on what you cut. Cutting metal wears 1 disc in around 5mins of contineous cutting(no breaks/stopping).

5. ozman181

ozman181 Member

Bunnings mate. They had 2 different el cheapo sets there 1 for about $10 with about 72 tools, the other $20 with 150 tools...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

I got the one in the top pic you posted - it has reinforced cutting disks as well as the standard ones and a whole bunch of other awesome bits.

I used a reinforced disc on a steel case and it lasted looooots longer (didn't even use up the whole disc in a few minutes of cutting!) than the standard discs (which are used in <2 mins from my experience) :thumbup:

7. ozman181

ozman181 Member

Yeah I only used the cutting disc to start the cut then jigsaw'd the rest.

8. nelson92

nelson92 Member

Yeh jigsaws do the job much faster and cleaner

9. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Depends what you're cutting.

In my case, I always remove the fan grills from cases - tinsnip them out, then use the dremel to cut off the bits still sticking out.

10. Ze.

Ze. Member

The $20 one is quite good , till you posted that picture I never noticed the bit on the back.
    I find the standard disks break bloody easy , if you put the tool down wrong or accidentally bang them against something , they are gone , the reinforced ones are the good shit though.

One thing I'm in love for quick and dirty shit around home is hot glue , thermo plastic is so handy for attaching and reinforcing things. I've fixed the castors on a 3 shelf trolley/cart with it , the plastic holding them in the metal was broken. I've also fixed a bit on a gas lift chair (bloody poorly designed , using a nylon spacer with ribs to hold the mechanism up). The plastic had broken twice , the first time I used one out of another gas lift , chair the 2nd time , I reinforced the original with hot glue.

Thermoplastic is wonderful stuff :)

11. k1t

k1t Member

not sure if this is relavent.... but what does the dremel 400 in bunnings include? it's not cheap too ($169!!)

12. dalien

dalien Member

13. aussie64

aussie64 Member

I think you need to know what the rest of the numbers are for that model it may be something like 3/51 or 6/90 first number gives you the number of included acessories and the 2nd the number of bits and disks ect included.
    http://www.justtools.com.au/prod4173.htm
    Might be the same as Bunnings.

I am currently after a 395 model fairly basic with 10 bits included

14. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

Without doubt THE worst advice when buying dremel disks..Why in gods name would u buy (or recommend it) one of the 'elcheapo' sets for ~30 bucks to get 5 reinforced disks along with a crap load of bits you will NEVER use when u can pay under 10 bucks for 25 PLUS diskc via ebay ? If u want a shitload and i mean 100's of useles dremel bitz and are prepared to pay postage quite happy to send u all mine i have sitting in an icecream container from the last 10 or so years ;-) ebay all the way reinforced is the shot..

edit: FYI was in Bunnings yesterday and noticed GMC have a rotary tool out for 29 bucks now no idea of the specs thought i would mention it since there is a thread nearly every week from people asking about "Dremels" and will more than likely read this thread :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  15. ozman181

ozman181 Member

Dude, let me know what you want for postage & i'll take you up on that... the bits are only useless if you have no use for then I guess & the stuff I got from bunnings while not being the absolute best of quality are good enough for what I want to do with them and the best bit is their cheap.

16. aussie64

aussie64 Member

I think it might be this one http://www.gmcompany.com.au/index.cfm?module=products&pid=23

17. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

yup thats the one :)

Check pm to mate ;-)

18. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

except the reinforced ebay discs cost heaps of $$$ less and last really well.

I have the ozito and the dremel tools, the set first listed from bunnies is great. I disagree (;)) with Jester, some of the extra bits are extra useful in is saving butt sometimes. The carbide cutters, little polish mops etc have all been used at one time or another.

I have the ozito hanging above my bench and use is weekly at least fixing kids toys, clearancing odds and sods, almost as usefull as a BFG hammer!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  19. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

Yes i would have disagreed to rightly so....'useless' was definitely not the right word to use, my mistake... they 're are of no use to me is what i should of said ;-)...anyhoot ozman181 took the time to PM me on my offer, i did a quick clean up tonight while having a drink with the lads in the garage and came up with these-->

[​IMG]

If you still interested in them ozman181 PM me your delivery addy and i'll post em off for you free of charge, pass on the favor next time you see an opportunity....what goes around comes around ::wink::

AJ

20. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

I got a nice big blue kit of dremel bits for ~$42 at Bunnings. Has everything I think you'd ever need.