Drill chuck/gearbox getting hot to touch.

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by xc351, Mar 20, 2019.

1. xc351

xc351 Member

Well I have a good old blue ryobi 18v drill that now runs on the lithiums.

The gearbox/speed adjuster seems to be getting crazy hot even if it’s not under heavy load (Eg just using it for screws) I’m guessing arround 60-70 degrees (based on it doesn’t sizzle water and it’s as hot as the valve on my hot water (which is set at 60-70))

Now I do have other ryobi 18v drills but this is my only hammer one. Plus it has 2 built in spirt levels which are supprizing handy.

Is it fixable or anything I can have a squizz at. As it stands I have zero to loose.

2. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

If it's old it may just need pulling apart and re-lubricating? I'd take the casing off and have a look.

firey4059 likes this.
  3. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Old blue one? Relegate it to light duties (I've got the original green one when the first lithiums came out 10 years ago, and it permanently has a counter-sinking bit in it now) and lash out and buy a brushless hammer drill/driver.

4. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Ditto for Agg's suggestion.

And/or if any of the bearings are sealed then you're probably up to replace them as well.

firey4059 likes this.
  5. mtma

mtma Member

If it's giving an obvious obnoxious whiny sound the gears have likely worn themselves out and it will never be the same again. Unfortunately once the gears are ground out of shape no amount of lubrication will return the box to its former glory.

Might be able to get some replacement gearsets off the net for some common/pro models, but the really cheap sets will definitely be a case of YMMV.

firey4059 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

a bit of an update,

The rotating torque collar slips up and down i can get it to drill perfectly or hammer perfectly just not both at the same time.

I already have enough plain old drills as ive bought 3 or so kits over the years to get extra tools.

I think it would be just over 10 years old, but its dual spirit level is rather handy otherwise would scrap it.

firey4059 likes this.
  7. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Bit of a PSA.

Don't tell anyone, but you're not supposed to be able to do both at the same time - hammer mode when drilling steel tends to run a bit of a risk to shatter the drill bit...

8. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

Unless u use it as a hammer drill drilling masonary. Which is what I do reasonably regularly.

I have access to larger sds and kanga drill bug there overkill.

9. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Sounds like a handy feature but you can buy just the spirit things and JB Weld them onto anything. Not as neat as something built in...on the other hand the mechanical wizardry inside those combo drills looks a nightmare to replace parts in.

10. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

Well not really as they arnt square flat surfaces to attach them to. Sure you could pack up one side ect but that’s just getting messy.

11. shredder

shredder Member

How are the carbon brushes?

12. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm starting to get the impression you might not exactly fully understand the proper operating conditions of that particular type of power tool...

13. miicah

miicah Member

Are you saying that in hammer mode, the drill bit doesn't spin at all?

14. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Hammer drills hammer AND rotate. It's the hammer action that does the work, the rotation is there to remove the debris.
    The OP's problem is the drill will rotate to drill in wood or steel in rotate mode but in hammer mode it hammers but there's no rotation.

15. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

I have various drills that hammer and turn at the same time.

16. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

in hammer mode (which is meant to rotate as well) i can hold onto shank (of driver bit thats in there) and apply little pressure and totally stop it. It acts like worlds smallest jackhammer.

17. shredder

shredder Member

That's interesting. I didn't know that. I wonder if all hammer drills are like that.

Educate us, thread.

18. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

some will only have a hammer mode, my sds drill can use a jackhammer style chisel attachmanet usefull for knocking out bricks for AC or plumbing lines or i have drill bits up to 35mm for it (big enough to get 32mm conduit through)

19. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

If its not an SDS hammer (and sounds like it's not) .. Then for some reason you got slippage between ratchet plates and the chuck - which is odd, but would also explain the heat.

I would suggest your chuck is slipping on shaft but you said it works fine in normal drill mode

20. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

Deffinitly not a sds I have one of them as well.

Deffinitly not the chuck slipping.

The adjustment colar has play may be as simple as a c clip/lock but or similar which may of came loose.

Still haven’t had time to crack it open I’ve just been using the sds drill (but it’s hardly ideal) with my impact driver and drill picking up the rest of the slack.

I should note the drill has had a damm hard time and other than the crap nicads it came with I have no other gripes about it. 10years for a battery drill is good going.

Just none of the current hammer drills take my fancy.