1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Drilling PCBs

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by GooSE, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

2. Thraxeh

Thraxeh Member

Will i get a better result with PNP?

3. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

It certainly wouldn't be any worse.

However, i think the practical results of using photo paper are 99% as good as PnP, and when you consider the relative costs, it's a no-brainer, once you get the hang of doing it.

You'll have a practical learning curve with either material. Just remember that you can always strip it all off and start again, at any point before the etch.

Get the resist right before you etch, because there's no going back once you etch.

4. Thraxeh

Thraxeh Member

I just did the etch.

It went very well. I didnt know how long to do it for, so it didnt get look how i wanted it to, but it still looks awesome(it has a real vintage look to it)

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

you can see the touch ups i did on the left hand side, top left corner and right bottom. Next time i will not rush :rolleyes:

thanks for the help!

5. R3Dl2ULZ

R3Dl2ULZ Member

out of curiosity what did you end up using?
    looks good. does look very vintage

6. patisbananaman

patisbananaman Member

Counterpunching

As long as you're trace's for IC's are aligned ok, I use the pointy end from a compass to hand punch each of the holes ( usually takes a few minutes). When I drill press tho, those few minutes spent are well worth it! Your holes will always be in line because the narrow bit 'finds' the punch hole everytime. I have large IC's literally drop into the holes. If i'm not careful the sockets fall out when i'm soldering lol

7. patisbananaman

patisbananaman Member

Very nice Thraxen :)

I used to make pedals, I used to get my boxes powder coated for about 4-5 bucks a pop :) Never quite got around to learning how to screen print too tho :p