Drive overheated-now what?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by broccoli, Jun 15, 2019.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

So, one of the drives in a NAS overheated. It wouldn't be recognised by the NAS any more, so I took it out. Access via a USB hard drive dock was/seemed fine, I used that drive to copy to the replacement drive. It didn't seem to overheat, I could put my hand on it and it felt warm, not hot. No weird noises or anything strange.

I've installed Seatools for Windows to try to test it for errors, but it won't detect the USB drive. The Western Digital drive testing program does detect it, but doing an extended test will take a LOOOONG time (as in 28 hours LOOONG), and I don't want to bother if Seagate won't accept it if it shows problems with the drive.

It's still under warranty.

What should I do now? Online searching for overheating all refers to the overheated drive as "damaged" or dead because of the overheating. This didn't die. Can "damage" be assumed? What causes overheating? There doesn't seem to be any cause with the hardware, the replacement in the same bay is normal, as are all of the other drives in the NAS. Fans operating normally.

2. kogi

kogi Member

Can you use crystaldisk info to see what the s.m.a.r.t temperature is?

3. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

It's nothing now, it's turned off. The overheating was the day before yesterday or yesterday.

4. chook

chook Member

I have had a similar situation in the past with a WD drive and it showed the same symptoms in the WD tools. It was replaced under warranty. Take the drive back to the retailer you brought it from, explain what you have tried and get them to deal with the warranty.

5. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks
    Easier said than done, finding the right receipt would be a challenge, hopefully it's one they've put in their computer so I can find out easily.

Are you saying that the single warning of on overheating event was enough, or did it show something on testing? I'm reluctant to test with WD if Seagate won't like that. I'll try contacting them tomorrow and see what they say. They might say the wobbly is sufficient.

6. chook

chook Member

Granted mine was a WD drive using WD tools but what happened was the drive was all sweet on the quick test however the long test took a loooooong time (several days) and hadn't finished. I contacted the retailer, explained what was going on and they said bring it in then took care of it from there.

In your case, if the Seagate tools won't even detect the drive that is a fairly reasonable place to start and say there is something wrong. Presuming the shop isn't going to be difficult or try to shirk their responsibilities, you can ask them how they determined it isn't faulty. Not suggesting going the aggressive/abusive path but asking reasonable questions shouldn't cause any trouble.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  7. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Oh, not anticipating that, it's just a question of finding out which shop. I buy at a couple of different places, so could be either. I think it's one I bought new, and didn't get off the forum, so there's that, it's just whether it's one that they've recorded in their system, to save me finding the receipt.

8. Crash Dummy

Crash Dummy Member

FYI the S.M.A.R.T data stored on the drive logs and records the highest ever reached temperature of the drive. Using any software that can read that will show the highest recorded temp under the worst collum for hard drive temperature.

HTH

9. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

well, I know what the temp was when it spat the dummy, it said so in the log. Once was enough, when the system dumped the drive.

10. BAK

BAK Member

Sounds like your drive got steamed broccoli !

(jokes aside GL with warranty! :) )

11. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

:D good one.

BAK likes this.
  12. xc351

xc351 Member

If the drive overheated wouldn't that be your fault. I presume it's in a nas with adverage cooling are the drives nas drives. Did you push it beyond its specs?

Or did the drive just randomly overheat.

13. FOTW

FOTW Member

Pop it back in the USB enclosure and see if crystal disk picks up any smart errors. It may have been a one off event a particular warm day or poor circulation of air around NAS, or it could be a more permanent issue such a clogged dust filter inside HDD or bearing starting to wear out. Sometimes the temp sensors can flip out and report incorrect temperature.

If the data is very important replace drive, if its not that important keep using it. If it still keeps overheating then replace drive.

14. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks guys. I'd emailed the drive people, saying what had happened and asking whether I need to send it back. The guy basically said "yes", so I'll do that.
    More background for the curious: The temperature went high, then it went back to normal. None of the other drives did anything abnormal, and the replacement drive in the bay hasn't done anything abnormal. I didn't do anything to the drive, I wouldn't know how to "push it". They just sit there with data on them. It went mental all by itself, not because of anything I did to it.
    The main "issue" with the event is that the system dumped the drive, wouldn't put it back/recover it. That was irritating.
    I will look at crystaldisk to see whether it discloses anything, before I send it back.
    EDIT: crystaldiskinfo reports "caution" with yellow against "Current Pending Sector Count" and "Uncorrectable Sector Count"

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  15. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Why did it overheat though? Fan failure? You got to sort that out before your other drives get fried.

16. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

I have no idea why it overheated, something to do with that drive. There's nothing wrong with the fan on the case, if that's what you mean. It returned to normal in five minutes or something like that, and the new drive is fine, and the one alongside has always been fine.

17. FOTW

FOTW Member

Yep its dying.

Hopefully the palce you got it from will be able to repalce it under warranty. Good luck :D

18. xc351

xc351 Member

Are they nas drives or what series are they as they might knock you back on you are not using them as intended

Dont get me wrong Ive run green drives and now run barracuda 8tb drives in my nas. Knowing that it's a risk. But I know that and consider it.

My old nas was 2tb red drives and even ran some purple drives in a servelianve box and a red drive failed hence me not caring now

19. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

If there is no dedicated cooling for the NASA, get some. If there is, add more cooling.

20. davros123

davros123 Member

So...how hot did it get?