Driving Alice Springs <> Tennant Creek ?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Aratama_Bashi, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

hey all

doing this drive in a couple of weeks. i note that it's about 500km, but google maps seems to think that it would take 6:20ish to complete? that doesn't seem right to me, given the speed limits.

anybody else done it? what to expect?

TIA :)

2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

Kangaroos after dusk. Speed limit is 130 i think, but they've opened up a speed limit free stretch so strap in and see what the carriage can do!

I used to drive from Tennant to Alice in 3.5 hours when i knocked off from school on Friday afternoon. Oh the memories!

It will be a lovely drive. If you like to drive.

3. Copie

Copie Member

Roos are the least of your problems along there. Its all open common so sheep/cows/camels/bulls are the problem.

Yes whilst the limit is 130kmh, i wouldnt be going that fast of a night, as you will be driving outside your highbeams (meaning anything comes infront of you, you wont have time to react and avoid a crash)

The other thing is lack of fuel along there, most places are shut by 8.

4. OP
    OP
    Aratama_Bashi

oh it's all good, it'll be during the day. so if livestock and roos are the most to worry about, then it shouldn't take me long at all.

any good stop-off point (not detours) along the way? easiest one is obviously the devils marbles, but just wonder if there's anything else photoworthy :thumbup:

5. $qwuzzy

$qwuzzy Member

Did it a couple of weeks ago in under 4 hours.

During the day the only real worries are cows. Stupid animals.

Where there are speed limits it's 130. There's a couple of stretches of unlimited speed limits where I sat on 160, and faster when passing the road trains.

It's quite a nice drive.

EDIT: hmmmm....stops.
    I stopped at Ti Tree to stretch my legs, and there's another stop about an hour south of Tennant that does a mean burger but the name escapes me atm....

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

Wauchope :thumbup:

7. $qwuzzy

$qwuzzy Member

That's the one!

8. revhed

revhed Member

It's possible to do Alice to Darwin in a day - if you are accustomed to driving long distance.

Remember that you slow down for towns - such as they are (cops do patrols). Roadworks too if there are any.

It'll be 45 in the shade this time of year - take extra water for you and for the car :)

road trains are longer here (3.5 trailers)

Beware eagles - they stand their ground if they have 'claimed' a carcas, and ones with a full stomach don't fly very well.

Watch out for Cockatoos getting drunk on the fermenting paddy melons on the side of the road.

You can sometimes see Sturts Desert Pea's growing wild on the side of the road.

Tropic of Capricorn just north of Alice.

Traveling at high speed increases fuel consumption. Implement some fuel monitoring and management (or use your trip computer) so you don't run out somewhere between stops.

Make sure tyres are inflated to max as per tyre placard, are in good condition and carry a spare.

Beware dust devils

9. Copie

Copie Member

Big day doing Alice to Darwin in one day. The other thing that is dead handy is a uhf radio, on a quad chain it's difficult to see what's behind you so announcing your coming around on the two way isn't a bad idea

10. OP
    OP
    Aratama_Bashi

cheers for the tips guys. i am quite accustomed to long distance driving, so with this info and a dash of common sense, i should be right.

now to make sure the camera is charged!

11. kryzak260

kryzak260 Member

Out of interest, whats the protocol for this? Channel 40, or do truckies use a different channel? "Hey big blue roadtrain, commin through" sort of thing?

12. OP
    OP
    Aratama_Bashi

FFS, they want to give me a holden cruize. i think i'd rather something bigger and/or japanese. it's not like a need a 70 series landcruiser or anything; just peace of mind :tired:

13. Copie

Copie Member

Generally, the universal way to call up is to go something like, 'do you have a copy in the north/south/east/west bound X truck (X being the type, so like tanker, stock crate, tauntliner, flatbed or their company) and 95% of the time they will reply with 'yeah mate' and then say 'mind if i come around?' and you will get the yes or no, after you have past just say 'thanks mate have a good one'

If they dont answer then chances are they are on the phone or on another channel or pulling dick, if thats the case, swing out, flash your highbeams 1-2 times then proceed if its safe.

Ideally something like a falcon or commondore would be ideal, comfortable and smooth, whilst the road quality is ok, you do encounter alot of heat ruts.

14. JustHarry

JustHarry Member

I'd take a little 4cylinder type car over a SUV any day of the week. Set cruise Control and off you go.

I did AS -> Threeways -> Barkly Homestead in one day, AS -> TC was 4.5hr from memory.

Stop off at Wycliffe Well for shits and gigs, Apparently the UFO capital of Australia.

Cool little pub in Barrow Creek (Don't buy fuel, Exxy as hell).

There is no Speed Limit from Alice to Barrow Creek**

We(Me and the Mrs) Stuck to 140-150 along that 200km stretch of rd. We were in a Campervan so didn't want to go too insane.

Theres a few things to check out on the way. Be weary, HWP monitor the roads, They were more seen on that stretch of rd than Coober Pedy -> Alice.

15. OP
    OP
    Aratama_Bashi

16. JustHarry

JustHarry Member

Great shots! Bringing back some memories of our trip.

How did you rate Devils Marbles?

We didn't rate it, Full of flies and moreso tourists when we stopped off there in May.

17. OP
    OP
    Aratama_Bashi

for starters i had no idea it was that large!

but i was lucky. i was there towards sunset on a monday, so there were exactly zero tourists to eff up my photos :weirdo:

and i guess flies are flies, you're out bush, it's just part of the deal.

i'll definitely revisit if i'm back in the area. needed more time!

18. mental_empathy

mental_empathy Member

I did the trip also and caught the sunset at devils marbles. Trying to get to tenant creek just before dark was a challenge

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  19. OP
    OP
    Aratama_Bashi

yeah i got to tennant just around dusk. my lancer hire car didn't like being pushed beyond 175ish :lol:

20. mental_empathy

mental_empathy Member

Pushed the Camry to 180
    [​IMG]