DRM and you, how do you feel?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by lowdog, Sep 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. lowdog

lowdog Member

Lets discuss this issue.

First here is a quote from CD Projekt boss Michal Kicinski (the developers of the GREAT game The Witcher) regarding DRM in the PC Gaming industry;

The Witcher developer CD Projekt believes PC piracy can be fought by offering greater value, but said publishers are too scared to let go of the DRM safety blanket.

Boss Michal Kicinski was talking to GamesIndustry.biz about the CD Projekt games-on-demand service GOG.com, which aims to remove the infamous protection software causing anguish amongst the PC community.

"We're trying to convince [publishers] there is nothing to be afraid of," said Kicinski. "DRM-free, that is something they are really scared of, but on the other hand we can say 'all of those games are available pirated widely so it's better to sell them for small money than make the customer's life difficult and get some more revenues'.

"I think that if somebody is paying for the game then they deserve own it, not with a certain list of conditions - and sometimes the list of conditions can be long."

Kicinski said many companies were looking to drop DRM due to the complications it causes, which, in many cases, has begun to turn customers away from titles using the protection.

"DRM makes customer's lives too complicated, and this is usually because of some corporate ideas, policies and trying to be smart, too smart, in how to get customers and how to keep them and not let them go somewhere else. We are believers in the free market and bringing freedom to customers."

Kicinski's comments follow a backlash from the Spore community over the limited number of game installations granted by DRM software SecuROM.

Imho this guy is on the right track and spot on the money. DRM and all it's associated BS like limited activations is unnecessary, it only pisses off the paying consumer and causes them nothing but grief. The big companies ie - EA should just drop it, drop their prices for games and that would be a major initiative in rectifying this whole rigmarole that is developing due to the implementation of this so called "anti piracy" measure.

Drop DRM, drop game prices = more people will buy the game, paying customers will be happy because they now own what they paid for, and the developers/publishers will only increase profit margins due to taking actions that will bring consumers back into favor.

2. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

How do I feel? I feel like the topic has been done to death.

If you don't like DRM, don't buy the game. They will soon learn.

3. Zieprus

Zieprus Member

Well my views are well known I don't touch something if the DRM is ridiculous or the company behind it has a history of screwing their customers (eg, EA).
    One big player in this though is Sony as they own a lot of the DRM that is pretty nasty (like securerom) and they are a company that likes to screw everyone over not just with DRM.
    I tend to buy more European games these days like The Witcher, STALKER etc although you still have to be cautious as sometimes they use Starforce (but more likely in games sold in russia ).

Well they talk about the declining sales and death of the PC games industry but there reduced sales is coinciding with the ever more restrictive and ridiculous DRM they implement.
    EA and Sonys attempt to stop people selling second hand games and the restrictions they implement don't really concern me anymore as people will just start to turn away and migrate to game companys that give a shit and actually let the people own games not rent a service.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  4. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

I dont buy with DRM esp cd's

5. ravescar

ravescar Member

i don't mind DRM from eg Steam, because it has worked quite well, however DRM from Mass Effect(EA) shits me no end, 3 install limit WTF.

6. OP
    OP
    lowdog

lowdog Member

Looks like practically all the titles coming out soon have it, here are just a few;

Mirrors Edge
    Dead Space

7. retz.x

retz.x Member

I'm so sick of writing about this. It just frustrates me to no end. I just don't understand how companies can't see that DRM does nothing to stop piracy. I hope that they learn from Spore, but I know they won't. They didn't learn from Mass Effect, so in the end we're all fucked for Red Alert 3.

If they really want to push the 3 install limit, they have to make the phone activation a free call. I will NEVER pay $2.48 per minute to beg for the right to play something I paid for.

8. power

power Member

and as i've said 100 times, buy - install - no-cd. :thumbup:

9. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

It's a two way street though isnt it... if we encourage companies to let go of the DRM net, i certainly hope we reciprocate and hold up 'our end'.

The MMORPGS are onto something with their business model, but clearly that's not appropriate for all genres.

10. Zieprus

Zieprus Member

Yeah well the greedy company's do this so I don't mind I will just get it for free and if they wish to then blame piracy and move out of the PC market then I am all for it :)
    Just means other game company's will produce games for certain niches in the market.
    The PC games industry is not shrinking its just that game company's and publishers are giving people more reasons to pirate their games.

11. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Don't like it, i would like to install it how many times on my PC i want. But if they provide tools to allow me to do that, while protecting their investment..then thats fine.

12. Nevok

Nevok Guest

If a game restricts me from installing it as many times as I want, or requires some form of internet activation I simply don't buy it.

DRM does nothing. It's a waste of time and if anything makes a game sell less, and not more.
    And thank god for companies like CD Projekt who oppose it and don't support it, because I really do hope it's not the future of PC gaming.

13. freshmania

freshmania Member

I was really tempted to get spore until I read about the 3 activation limit DRM :(

After reading the reviews, I honestly don't mind paying almost 100bux for it but the DRM is a deal breaker for me.

14. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

With something like 15 copies of crysis pirated for every copy sold... let's hope there actually is a future of PC gaming.

15. Sub_Atomic

Sub_Atomic Member

DRM should be gone... but in saying that, we're still getting ripped blind by software prices in Aus. We have more things to whinge about. DRM sucks arse, but what makes me think about pirating a game is sheer cost of a game that in todays standards would last about 3 days. It's been a long long time that I've bought a game and felt it deserved the $100 price tag.

Down with DRM, and get the fucking prices down for Aus.

16. samsino

samsino Member

It really isn't doing much though. As we saw with Spore, it was cracked and uploaded the same day it was released - DRM free.

This actually makes me regret purchasing Spore, when i could have downloaded it without the hassle of DRM (which I am strongly against, but not as much as DRM).

17. Warpy

Warpy Member

I refuse to support it in buying their games.

18. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

But if it was implemented in a way that does not detract from the install and uninstall experience?

19. OP
    OP
    lowdog

lowdog Member

It baffles me as to why publishers/developers (whatever) like EA don't have the buisness sense to just drop the DRM shit and drop game prices which would equate to nothing more than a win win situation for them and us.

If they can't figure that one out then the degree that they are blinded by shear greed is all the more pathetic.

20. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

But how much would they have to drop prices for people to buy them?

If they implemented DRM that didn't interfere with the install or uninstall experience i don't see why they shouldn't protect the content that they made.