Drobo speed...

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by ya3, Jun 27, 2012.

1. ya3

ya3 Member

HAI!

I just bought a Drobo 4-bay (2nd gen) and loaded it up with 3x WD Caviar Black 1tb. I've got it connected to my computer via FW800, formatted as HFS+, updated to latest firmware, and I'm getting about 30MB/s maximum write speed when transferring stuff onto it from my computer.

Tested it by copying a large video file via Finder and I'm also transferring about 135gb of photos+video using rsync.

Does 30MB/s sound right? That's less than 300mbps :Paranoid:

EDIT: Tested on both my laptop and beasty iMac.

2. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

For a drobo? Yep, sounds about right. The auto-sizing RAID is good, but I'm not aware of anyone praising the performance.

3. greenhawk

greenhawk Member

can not remember exactly but IIRC firewire counts bandwidth in both directions, so only have 400Mb/s to the device (and 400Mb/s back).

that works out to a max theory of 50MB/s. Take into account overheads, hand shaking ect and the best firewire review I have seen gives 40MB/s as a upper limit to performance for transfers with firewire 800.

so 30MB/s is probably about right. If wanting better assurances, look for reviews for your drobo. They have been around for a long while now.

4. OP
    OP
    ya3

ya3 Member

Ah right, I had no idea FW800 worked that way. Seems to be okay for now... Might upgrade to one of their new Thunderbolt models in future.

5. oli

oli Member

Unrelated to the Drobo (which is known to be quite poor performance wise) the above is not correct. FW800 is capable of much more. I have an SSD in my MBP and with a 7200RPM SATA drive in a FW800 enclosure I am able to do sequential reads of large files at ~90MB/s.

6. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

my drobo FS (ethernet) also runs at about 30mb/s :(

its a limitation of the hardware and OS not the comms protocol
    they are great units but most NAS have speed issues
    not a big deal really once u have copied all ur data to it
    day to day movements arent a big issue

7. Asako

Asako Member

The dismal speed (widely reported in many reviews) is why I skipped on Drobo despite verily wanting BeyondRaid. However, with their upcoming models having addressed the speed issue, I may well get one yet.

Surely you didn't buy a Drobo without reading reviews of how the speed caps at around USB2 levels even with eSATA, Firewire or the gigabit ethernet FS version. If you expected it to perform at more than 30Mb/s I feel sorry for you. :(

But as already mentioned, once all your data is initially transferred to it, it's not a huge deal to do incremental backups, or read off it.

8. -=DeNMaN=-

-=DeNMaN=- Member

Hey there..

I have Drobo Ver2 and a Drobo S Ver2..

The Drobo Ver2 only really does around 30meg a sec and it doesn't really matter how you connect it.. The Firewire 800 is only afew meg faster then connecting it via USB2.

The Drobo S ver2 on the other hand is much quicker. Via USB3 i get 70-100meg a sec.

9. OP
    OP
    ya3

ya3 Member

Ahh, that's all good. I think it's worth the convenience of BeyondRAID. I've migrated about 600gb of data onto it already and it seems fine.

10. drjam

drjam Member

not that it helps, but i have a drobo usb version, with 4 x 2tb wd greens... usb pulls only 15mb p/s.

so dont feel bad lol.