Drop ya DAC's

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by {V|PER}, Jun 6, 2016.

1. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

If you switch to a DAC you'll lose most of the positional stuff for games, personally I wouldn't bother. If you do mostly gaming and want to pluck the card out, grab a USB equivalent with all the HRTF stuff etc. This is all without enabling any effects or anything on the titanium.

Broad statement, but most of the things y'all refer to as DAC's are really just meant to provide a hands-off stereo out. So, that lends itself more to music than gaming.

You could always run S/PDIF out of the titanium to a separate DAC if you're not happy with the noise or whatever from it being in the case.

2. roamin

roamin Member

Basically i want the card out of the system for looks. I dont want the sound card in there if i dont have too. Cards fine and nothing wrong with it. Just bothers me looking at it. Hence i mention a dac to have it externally behind the case.

Me being fussy with looks.

3. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Cool,

Creative do a few external soundblasters, I'd look at the

X-Fi surround 5.1 - USB
    or
    Omni Surround

The Omni Surround actually looks half-decent, but check a review none-the-less.

4. schmoove

schmoove Member

I'm using one of these:
    AK4495+XMOS U8+ADUM High Speed Digital isolation Asynchronous USB DAC decoder
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/AK4495-XMOS...007740?hash=item1a1c8acb3c:g:bvcAAOSwLnBX5zdx

Has a headphone out, but I wouldn't fancy using it seeing as the DAC has no H/W volume control.
    That Asahi Kasei Microdevices DAC chip is one sweet, sweet chip.
    Unbelievable performance for that price point.
    Sounds like liquid gold.
    Big improvement on my other two DACs. Tech has moved on a fair bit over the past 20 years.
    Would buy another if I needed one, and would probably stick to AK chips if I were upgrading.

5. Spork!

Spork! Member

I got a Grace Design M9xx from massdrop a while back.
    It's a combined DAC/amp, and does a good job as a small all-in-one desktop solution.
    Where it really shines though is it's DAC side.
    I mostly use mine as DAC only to feed a mid-high end tube amp, and it also works great with STAX gear. I know of at least one other person running high end STAX gear using it as a DAC, and neither of us have any intention of upgrading DAC any time soon.
    Worth considering if you need a good DAC with a reasonable amp circuit built in.

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I have too many amplifiers and too little amount of DAC's.

Currently running an Elektra DAC. It's got few modifications to it and is WIP on the bench with additional upgrades.

Also have a modded Lite DAC-Ah.

2 DAC's and about 16 amplifiers for headphones and speakers. :upset:

7. OP
    OP
    {V|PER}

{V|PER} Member

I've always liked the look of my soundcards, somehow makes my system feel complete :p

8. Cool Barn

Cool Barn Member

Maybe so, but the first time you add a decent DAC to your system and hear the difference, all of a sudden the looks won't seem quite so important ;)

9. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

How are people transporting their digital signal to their DACs?

I'm now in the market for a device that'll give an SPDIF (optical or coax) output from a MacBook Pro, as the new MacBook Pros lack the optical output I use. Currently run it via an Onkyo 989 receiver/processor.

Thoughts?

10. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I'm using optical.

11. damo2002

damo2002 Member

I've heard good things about the M2Tech HiFace 2. Lots of people seem to recommend it's use with the Rega DAC I have, just not entirely sure it'd be worth the price.

12. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Is there a difference between Optical (minimises electrical interference without the need for ferrites) and USB (convenience and or socket) or is it purely the mobo's capacity and convenience?

13. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Not really, its a digital stream so it either gets there or it doesn't. Optical interconnects are popular in studio applications as you can run a lot of channels given the bandwidth.

With USB you aren't just sending the digital stream, you've got power and whatnot as well.

For the 'best' result you'd run DAC of some clean powersupply (doesn't need to be fancy, just not crap) then run either coax or optical to it.

14. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

m-itx so i use usb

Ive noticed MSI advertise a higher powered USB port for USB DACs with some of their mobos but i have had no issues using standard USB on a standard cable. My dac has it's own power source

i also use midi controllers so low latency buffer is essential, I get <10msec pretty easily with using built in ASIO

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016