Dropping an SSD into old HP ML110 G5 - advice please

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by the3coopers, Aug 5, 2013.

1. MrvNDMrtN

MrvNDMrtN Member

An old ESX version might work on it..

2. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Then you have nothing to worry about other than getting it back together.
    Check the compatibility, the CPU size had some VRM limitations on trying to feed bigger, hungrier CPU's.

Forget bloody PM's and their limits. Go find a M1015 and flash it. 8 ports of SATAIII/SASII and can hold upto 64 drives with LSI IT firmware.

They work.

If board is in AHCI than you have TRIM.

I am still a registered HP tech so I see more HP's than most. However, I have never had an issue getting them to work with any OS of the windows flavour.

3. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Is there any particular trick to getting them to work then?

From what I can tell they run a slightly modified ICH chipset?!?!

4. OP
    OP
    the3coopers

the3coopers Member

I have modded the ML110 case from 4 x 3.5" to 6 x 3.5" (build log coming soon). It's only a mATX box, and unless I completely sacrifice HDD cooling there is no space for additional drives anyway. So the config is already defined - my main objective is to get the OS Drive off the RAID ports.

There's 6 x SATA ports on the MoBo, and I also need a ODD for some tasks, hence losing a port there. Hence I just add eSATA ports and use a PM inside an external enclosure - or I can find another solution if necessary (I have also added USB 3.0 already too).

This is intended to be a simple media and file server - I am not attempting to keep 30 HDD's spun up and ready to go. The PM's and external stuff is for archiving... for example, if I had a TV series I also certainly would not store that on any HDD inside the HP.