Dry ice to cool a water loop ??

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by aussie-revhead, Mar 19, 2017.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, I like versatility in my rig, I want to turn it on and play BF1 then bench a bit etc when I feel like it so I have an idea. Its a bit crazy and I know there will be haters but hear me out and tell me what you think.

I like water cooling but I want to get temps down further for benching without making it a trailer sailor (car term) so what if I build a special heat exchanger that is unused most of the time and remains dormant, but when I want to push the boundaries I can drop some dry ice in and suck some more heat out of my loop without going too cold (without insulating). What do you think?

I like chillers but I dont want the condensation issues or noise. I like phase but they cant cope with the heat loads of modern cpus (not even looking at cascade). So is my little dice pot a good idea? Will it work? Any other ideas that will give a similar result?

The exchanger could be a 120 radiator inside a metal container/pot/tray/box or even a proper dice pot contacting onto an extra cpu block in the loop. I could even use something like the old "cool can" they used to use on carby cars to keep fuel temps down (simple coiled pipe inside a metal bucket like container).

If I could generate enough cooling using a single stage phase rig I would consider that too but they wont have the capacity I need (particularly if gpu is in the loop). Or I could test it on a gpu loop first and see if it works.

Any input would be great.

:thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

Dry ice is about -80. Add water or even coolant and at best it will freeze at about -40 or -50.

Look into a chilled water box. -30 is easy with car coolant, no need to run refrigeration system when gaming normally as there should a large enough volume to negate the heat.

BUT anything below day +10 degrees will create condensation

3. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Do you mean one of those crazy setups with a wrecked home air conditioner with its evaporator submerged in an esky of coolant, then circulate that in the loop?

I benched a little with dry ice years ago and I had a single stage back on Sandy (that was fun). Insulating a water loop seems like a lot of work, single stage would be awesome if it would keep the 5960x cool.

4. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

Yes. About the roomy (AC) submerged.

Maybe a couple Y pieces with a shut off valve. So it runs parallel.

What is the TDP of the 5960x ?

Shouldn't be difficult to find a SS that can do it. Matter of fact is it is harder to design a smaller unit than large.

5. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Good idea with the y valves too :thumbup:

The biggest ss I have seen that I enquired about does not seem adequate for a 5960x. Who is left in aus to design and build phase change coolers? Im sure someone has the know how, kayl retired ages ago.

I have a mate in air conditioning, Im sure he could build it but we know nothing about tuning for heat loads and capilliary lengths etc

Cheers

6. snappy1

snappy1 Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  7. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

if you're going sub ambient, you need insulation, that's all there is to it.
    you could not insulate, but then you'll kill gear.

buy a game rig and a bench rig and keep them seperate.
    insulate the bench rig and you can run whatever you like for cooling.

8. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Of course, I am thinking more of keeping loaded temps down without going sub ambient. For example, if my loaded cpu hits 80c then I can pull it down to 40 with applied cooling to the loop without going too cold, isnt that right?

9. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

you're overcomplicating this. just buy a pot and go straight to -65

10. leithals

leithals Member

I think the point is, being "exact" (above ambient) with temperatures using dry ice is a pipe dream, and as soon as you drop below ambient you cause condensation, thus you need insulation... It's a never ending loop. If you could find a clever way to regulate the cooling that would be the answer. But you need something more "gentle" than dropping dry ice.

11. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Something more like a water chiller?

12. headin2001

headin2001 Member

I do a radiator in a esky of ice, and can get down to around the 10degree mark but condensation is always an issue. As Zero said, if you are thinking of using dice to cool a loop, may as well grab a pot an have a dedicated bench man.

Using a 50/50 Metho/water mix and ice can bring subzero easy, but Ice doesn't last. Dice in there, forget it.

You want cold, just do it properly. Oh, and an SS for that much load, your not going to get far unless it's over 1hp. They can't take the load well. Cascade or Pot.

Chiller would go ok, but would need modifying and wouldn't bother with anything less that a Hailea 1000. The smaller ones dont cope as well I hear. Plus you need a good pump, high flow block...........

BUY A POT - or this

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  13. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

In winter i think tap water gets down to 14 degrees, hook that shit up to your computer with a pressure reducer and run the outlet to your garden

14. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

> 50 available in stock .... really?

:lol:

15. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

Buy a pot, a AIO and a bench

AIO for gaming, pot for benching.

Lets face it who wants to bench inside a case?

16. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I dont use a case anyway, my bench is water cooled, 1x480 rad atm, trying to decide if an extra rad is worth it.

17. Muzwa Kai

Muzwa Kai Member

you could just try using a large open reservoir or with a lid, drop some dry ice in there and see how it goes. maybe make a dispensing thingy to drop more dice in bit by bit, like a small bucket with funnel or something like that. slow rotating motor that opens and closes lol, dunno haha. put some cool lighting in the mist :lol:

18. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I had a look at that chiller. Not that I'm in the market, I don't plan bothering with subambient.

What I found interesting is that I clicked on the link for its big brother out of curiosity.

Unlike the one you linked, this one is out of stock.. I wonder how old the stock is for the other versions, the small Hailea which has >50 in stock, and the Eiszeit 2000 you've linked to which also has >50 in stock?

:lol: Rule number one.. if you run a website, and you want to use the word 'current', then regular updates are an absolute must !

19. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Air condition the room your pc is in? A air conditioned room will possibly have a lower dew point too. So if you ice a aio less chance of condensation (but will still happen)

Down grunt you gaming and use the 5960x for benching? Or fully prep for cold using LET and the have a second loop using same model block so you can easily change for the colder runs.

20. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

Water and dry ice isnt going to do shit
    The dry ice will turn to CO2, and wont even cool the water.