DSLR - should I buy again?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by aussie-revhead, Aug 5, 2019.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys,

Short - convince me why DSLR is better and what to get

Long - this is more for the missus hobby than my own but I take pics too (I think everyone does these days), I previously tried DSLR with a Nikon (not sure on model 3xxx?), a Canon 650D and a 7D (with some L series lenses) but these type of cameras don't seem to lend themselves well to point-and-shoot photographers. I was never happy with photos from these cameras, its hard to say why but they never grabbed me as good photos, where I find it much easier to grab a good photo with the p&s (we have a Sony HX60V) or even with the phone cameras. I don't really want to study photography so I can understand the hitty-gritty of aperture,exposure,shutter speed etc etc and the missus isn't a class room learner but shouldn't a DSLR out-photo a p&s on auto mode anyway? I'm not against DSLR, I just don't want to spend thousands to be disappointed again, so what can you suggest as a learner kit just to snap pics and enjoy? Since I have owned Nikon and Canon should I try a Sony? Is a 450D too old for a buy-and-try experiment? I like zoom lenses as I like the flexibility in framing shots (the HX60 has 30x optical) so I would be minimizing lens changes on the DSLR with a super zoom, I would prefer one multi purpose lens to a case of primes. it also seems like a very expensive exercise to get a big zoom in an SLR lens, its very cheap in a p&s, obviously the quality isn't there but it works for personal use (I'm not selling photos).

Main photo types would be car shows (static), drags (need a zoom), scenery (garden and landscape) and holiday pics (probably mostly in the garden/architecture/landscape/view areas). People photos are mostly done by phone so this isnt a priority for the camera, it would be nice to take family gathering photos with the DSLR but this brings another lens type into the equation along with low light/indoor/flash conditions too.

Hit me with your photographic goodness guys, stick with the phone/p&s combo or try DSLR again?

Don't burn me, any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

2. 2SHY

2SHY Member

A budget would helps us guide your purchasing decision.

3. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Just curious, did you shoot in jpeg or raw when using the dslrs? Straight out of camera, raws can look dull and uninspiring

4. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I don't like talking money, budget is as little as possible eg used <$1000

die_piggy - probably just jpeg, it was a while ago. So raws need post-processing? (as opposed to being an available option)

5. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Yeah 100% jpegs usually get some in camera auto editing to make them pop, not so much with raw

6. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I was going to recommend one of the new mirrorless options out there over a DSLR as they offer many benefits but having seen your budget, I'd suggest a second hand Sony a6000 series off gumtree - it will do everything you need it to and under budget.

*edit* The a6000 is mirrorless, and may be more suitable for you considering your dissatisfaction with the DSLRs you've owned.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  7. TonyR

TonyR Member

Some years ago I had two DSLR bodies and a bunch of lenses. We were going to Canada and Alaska and I wanted to be able to go instantly from wide "look at those mountains" to long zoom "there's a bear over there", so I bought a 60x zoom Panasonic and haven't looked back. It also takes full HD 1080P video.

I've sold the DSLRs.

8. jakes

jakes Member

or you could stop blaming the hardware and work on your skills and technique

9. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

- noted, thanks

- thanks I will do some reading in that direction

- one vote for the "stick with what works" team, thanks

- I didn't blame anything and I'm not really interested in learning how to make a camera take pics I like

Thanks everyone,

10. coolroy

coolroy Member

Similar too me I had a 5dmk2 & various lenses in a heavy backpack arrangemnet for hols & have now gone to a Sony RX10mk3 as its a easy all in one with good zoom & so far (week after buying) happy with IQ & zoom range.

11. stevo4

stevo4 Member

Not at all with raw...Why they are called raw.

Sounds like point and shoot is right for you.

Dslr if you like too see what you are shooting. Not some jpg rendition.

12. coolroy

coolroy Member

Good bridge cameras with good iq normally support raw. The camera i mentioned earlier certainly does.

13. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Can you show me some examples? I'm curious how a jpeg shot compares to a raw then a refined shot.

So do jpeg photos get enhanced by the camera? And raw shots must be done yourself?

Cheers

14. islade

islade Member

I've owned a bunch of full frame canons and I've almost completely swapped to Fujifilm X series such as X100, X-T2, X-T3 etc. They are so much fun to use and images are great straight out of camera, plus they are small and light.
    If you want to take more photos i'd suggest one of those as the 'fun factor' will make you use it more than the technical superiority of a full frame camera or 'nerdy' sony.