Dual 2000MP no good at game serving??

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by eyeLikeCarrots, Dec 17, 2002.

1. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

One of the guys down here in a Tassie has a sweet dual 2000MP box with half a gig of ram... At a recent LAN, we were banging away at BF1942, he was serving from his box while playing also and all the client machines were copping some awful lag... we swapped the server over to my box and re-started... I was playing, getting 60-70 in 1024x768 max details and none of the other boxes were getting any lag...

Now, what I'm thinking is that the simple fact is that a dual system is no benefit for game serving OR his system wasn't configured properly?

Opinions, experiances please ?

2. EazyduzIt

EazyduzIt Member

Possibly his storage subsystem was letting him down. I note that you have a RAID setup. If he was serving the game off a single disk, that might account for some of the lag. Was he running other services? FTPing large files?

There is a member here called Schwein who I believe serves games at LAN's off an SMP rig. Do a seach on his username here or at 2cpu for the lowdown.

3. OP
    OP
    eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

hhmmm.. didn't think of that.... need sleep...

Had a RAID array is the saying :-(

4. Rogue

Rogue Old Member

Just having dual CPUs is not enough - you need to ensure the rest of the system is able to maximise the benefits of SMP. A decent IDE RAID or SCSI storage solution is well worth the investment, as are good quality network cards (yes, multiple NICs).

It's also worth checking that the OS is correctly configured for SMP, and the software is actually using both CPUs.

5. VooDoo

VooDoo Large Member

I run games of a dual AMD system without any problems at all. your friend will have to look elseware for the blame on this one. its not the CPU's.

please note though that using a Dual XEON 2ghz system on a BF1942 server (64 player) it choked at 45 ppl

the server SW isnt that stable yet

6. saba

saba Evil Vizier

Well, if it was an MPX and a PCI RAID card, it may have been bottlenecked at the poorly implemented bus level.

7. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

yep not the cpu's fault really...
    more the bad coding of the game, and the i/o or memory subsystems id think.
    Never underestimate the need for lots of network bandwidth on a game server either ;)

8. OP
    OP
    eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

thanks for the input guys...

What have we got..

1 - Storage factor (I no longer have my RAID array)
    2 - OS config... not sure if he was using the SMP kernal for win2K/XP (do you need to specify this during install?)
    3 - NIC... (always said, Intel nics all the way:) )

Interesting point Saba about the PCI throughput on the MPX, any idea if this is something that can be addressed by a BIOS update ?

9. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

If 2 cpu's were in the machine when OS was installed it should have enabled SMP support.
    As far as i know bf1942 isnt SMP enabled, so your only going to get one cpu handling the game server.

10. Schwein

Schwein Member

On my dual Xeon 1.8 box I can run BF1942 without any problems using the dedicated server. You have set the processor affinity to only one CPU to minimise any choppyness the game can suffer from.

When it was a dual 1.26 the machine didn't have enough grunt for BF1942, but T2, Q3, CS et al would run simultaneously no probs. I haven't tried the Xeon box with multiple games running. The main purpose of the server is for FTP'ing as an Athlon 1.2 with 768MB RAM will run almost anything flawlessly.

Running the server and a client on the same box won't work when you load it up.

11. OP
    OP
    eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

I can run the ingame server and play in my box with 20 players

12. Nemesis

Nemesis Member

i would have thought 512MB was a bit smallish for a Dedicated Server for BF1942....

it uses that easy when playing...

13. Schwein

Schwein Member

Was your friend using the in game server or the dedicated server?

14. OP
    OP
    eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

good point, we were both using the ingame server.

15. Schwein

Schwein Member

One thing I can think of is he may be running low on memory and the swap file is getting hit. Alternatively there is a problem in the network that is causing packet loss or low speeds. I would start with setting the processor affinity to one CPU only.

16. OP
    OP
    eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

if I remember rightly (month or so ago) the network was spinning along nicley...

I do recall that I asked to have a look at his setup as I'd never seen a dual XP before.. looked at his ram and it was pc2100 Nanya (ie, shit).. when I asked him about it he thought he paid for something better.. and ECC..

I should email him and ask what happened with that I spose

17. thetron

thetron Member

I used VooDoo's Old 1900MP system and served both Bf and BFV games fine.... Even with one CPU. But i later got 2x 2600MP's

I have a copy of Ubuntu linux running on Annika (dual server). It ran pretty fine last local lan and the cpu usage wasn't that demanding. TOP/uptime levels never went over 3.00 peaking @ 14/25 player slots

I also ran XP pro pretty fine

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  18. stalin

stalin (Taking a Break)

a load average of under 3 doesnt really mean anything at all related to RAM usage.
    In fact a load average of 3 is higher that it should be. it should really only be a little above 2, there was probably some disk I/O wait adding to the average, which could have been caused by lack of RAM.

19. RIO_t

RIO_t Member

I have a dual 2700+ system (and while we are at it, it is wrapped up in one of Voodoo's old cases)

I have had issues when not running the dedicated server. Running the dedicated server it runs fine, the most i have had is 30 odd players.

Setting affinity doens't make much difference, XP manages CPU affinity pretty well by itself.

20. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

then you were only using a single 2000+ AMD....the other would have been sitting idle.
    next time try firing up a dedicated AND client and use both procs!