Dual AP Home Install (Apparent DHCP Issues)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by ][ XpLoiT ][, May 27, 2016.

1. ewok85

ewok85 Member

DHCP doesn't use gateways - it's just a layer 2 broadcast.

I'm talking about enabling NTP on the upstairs AP - right now it's not able to connect to the internet because it doesn't have a gateway configured. This is maybe a limitation of the software.

That should work fine. The issue isn't no DHCP, it's slow DHCP.

2. OP
    OP
    ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

ta - im on 5ghz though

i might give that a go or start looking at a replacement AP.

the modem is in bridge mode.
    the downstairs AP is getting the optus connection info.

no not as of yet.
    ------------------

sorry guys i have to goto brisbane for the next 3 days and will look at stuff and try it upon my return.
    will touchbase in 3 days.

thats for everyones help.

3. OP
    OP
    ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

Hi all back from brisbane and spoke with a couple of work friends too about it.

one suggested i change from the standard 192.x range to 10.x which i did just in case there was any conflict.

Unfortunately that hasnt assisted.

In addition, i did set a StaticIP on my mac and connected to upstairs AP and although it had all the info set in it correctly (dns, router/gateway, etc), it did not reach the internet - it actually didnt discover anything outside of itself.

4. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

So you couldn't even ping your other router?

Sounds like the link between routers is your problem.

5. g@z

g@z Member

Both router are the same model correct?

Swap them over, ie make the downstairs one into the upstairs one etc and see if the fault moves with the hardware.

Regards,
    g@z.

6. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Rather than spend a bunch of time I'd be grabbing another router just to test. A TP-Link 841N is $28 or so and would at least confirm or deny any sort of funny business.

7. g@z

g@z Member

going and buying another router just to test if it's hardware or config is both time and money. Already got two of the same units in the place, just swap them over. Having the same units to swap would also help determine if it's a config issue or hardware issue. Considering the amount of time it sounds like has been spent on the issue so far, it should not be too much more effort!

Regards,
    g@z.

8. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Re-configuring two routers sounds like more work than setting up one router, but that's just me. The OP said that they work fine on their own. *shrugs*

9. OP
    OP
    ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

Thanks guys for attempting to assist - i appreciate it just to give some background

i have tried independantly swapping them and only running one etc etc etc. The issue is constant with my hardware (eg no matter what AP i put upstairs in the config the issue still presents itself).

Anyone know of a reasonable 11.AC AP Only that i can get my hands on?

10. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

You should really test the link between your two routers before you keep going. What happens when you bypass the Upstairs AP entirely and just connect a PC via Ethernet? Do some pinging and see what response times and packet loss is like. I've seen faulty cables do all sorts of interesting stuff.

You don't also need to replace the router, just flash a custom firmware if the stock firmware is bugged. The Archer C7 is a good unit, there shouldn't be any need to replace it.

11. OP
    OP
    ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

thanks mate, but the link between the 2AP's is fine, as per above, anything cabled into upstairs AP, gets an address immediately from Downstairs AP (which is where dhcp is being served from).

its ONLY when a wireless device connects to the Upstairs AP it doesnt get a DHCP address

12. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Gotcha.

Flash Gargoyle then.

13. ewok85

ewok85 Member

This - no cost and it'll probably do the trick.

14. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Yeah pretty much all I can think of at this stage is it must be a firmware bug.

Oh, side note, if you have a TP-Link Archer C7 V1, a batch of those had massive issues with 5G Wi-Fi. I had one and had to RMA it. These also can't be flashed to Gargoyle (OK, technically you can, but you loose 5G Wi-Fi).

Saying that, they haven't been sold brand new for a while, so you most likely have a V2, which I have found to be an excellent router.

15. OP
    OP
    ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

it is v2 (not v3).

i must admit as my main router (downstairs ap) its bulletproof no issues at all with it. its only having 2 of them in the same network where it seems to be playing up.

i just wonder if logically on the board, the lan outlets on the back of it, is a separate switch/router internally to the wireless. and therefore the data outlets work fine as its just being a switch attached to the downstairs ap, and anything plugged in is just working across a switch, but the AP itself is on a separate subnet / route internally?

16. OP
    OP
    ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

oh and not good news on the gargoyle front :)

WARNING 1: Current firmware (1.9.0 and earlier) has been reported to brick recent models of Archer C7 v2 (Early 2016 and later)

exactly what i have lol

17. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Check out the forums, that problem has been fixed now IIRC

18. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Just to add to the mix here, unlikely as but I'm curious:

- what are your RF signal levels like, for both the APs and a Client wandering between floors

- what Channel usage/selection are both APs set for

- and once the RF links have been established what's the data throughput like if you do a large file transfer.

19. OP
    OP
    ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

channels are on the front post mate.
    i havent measured RF / SNR against each AP.
    as for throughput, it havent really tested either.

20. OP
    OP
    ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

just to close off this thread, i used the custom firmware from the forums of the Gargoyle C7 v2 as listed.

set it up as per a gateway. Perfectly fine, and im currently connected to it.

this has solved the issue using that firmware.

Unfortunately TP Link cant work it out - fortuitously we have some very smart people who can :)