Dual Boot or ...

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by al'Thor, Mar 6, 2020.

1. al'Thor

al'Thor Member

I'm going to do a fresh install of my pc ,thats used sometimes for games eg doom eternal
    a dual boot of win 8.1 and mint - which do you install first ?
    (4790k,16 GB, 980 ti)

but I was wondering about a bear metal hyperviser - when you install an os, you set set what resources it has... say if you only 1 os running does it get all the resources until you start another vm

2. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Others with more experience may be able to chime in here but from when I dual booted many moons ago, you were best off installing windows first, so that the linux boot manager could overwrite the boot manager to include both OS's, otherwise windo$e just overwrote the whole thing to remove the linux partition from the boot record.

You probably dont want to do a bare metal VM host - resources are allocated to each machine before it boots, you can't change them on the fly

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

IMO - 2x SSDs, install Windows on boot SSD first, then install Mint on second SSD and install grub on 1st SSD when asked during install process, use GRUB to select, so set selection on GRUB to 30secs, just means you have to hit enter for a fast boot.

kogi and zero_velocity like this.
  4. Dave

Dave Member

So what is the difference between 2x SSD's and a single SSD that has a second partition for Linux? Why do you suggest that?

5. Primüs

Primüs Member

Baremetal hypervisor to run Linux and Windows VM would be a major fuck around. Each time you want to swap you'd have to stop one, re-assign the GPU, start the other one, thats if you have a smooth experience doing GPU passthrough in the first place. If your set on a VM, get a 2nd (low powered) GPU, boot Linux and run Windows in a hypervisor on a desktop version of Linux with a better GPU on passthrough and a KVM.

For now, I've just swapped back to Linux on my gaming PC, and am just using proton for everything, so far so good but I dont play a heap of different games.

6. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Windows has an uncanny tendency to mess with UEFI partitions. My advice is to rip the Windows drive out and set up a Linux drive. If you get sick of Linux, reinstall the Windows drive.

Either that or set up a spare PC just to dabble in Linux and learn. This is what I did with an old Dell Optiplex and an Nvidia GT610 2GB graphics card and I could actually game on my free 17" 720p monitor. I used this machine until I found I was using it more than my Windows gaming PC, at which case I actually bought a dedicated workstation to run Linux with a fairly beefy at the time GPU and ditched Windows altogether.

Never looked back. I game using Proton and Lutris, performance is great and I in no way feel limited - In fact I feel liberated, my PC is mine again and I love it.

JamesTheHobo likes this.
  7. Primüs

Primüs Member

I haven't done it for a while but i've always found a Windows First, Linux Second approach to be solid - Linux comes in and writes GRUB to the boot sector so your pretty set on a good boot manager with both Linux and Windows available.

8. ex4n

ex4n Member

If you're doing any serious gaming just run windows 10 and have whatever Linux OS you want to use run as a VM (it's much better at this than windows is), you don't need 2 bare metal OS. Hyper-V on Win10 or VMware workstation for the Linux VM to run Mint. Will give you the best experience overall, and the most flexible, IMO.

9. flu!d

This is how you have to dual boot Linux, you can't install Linux first and Windows second if you want to use GRUB. No matter what you do, Windows 10 has a very nasty habit of stuffing Linux partitions, even if you use two completely separate drives and use your UEFI boot manager to swap boot drives, Windows occasionally still finds a way to stuff Linux partitions.

https://itsfoss.com/no-grub-windows-linux/

I game under Linux and my experience is outstanding, in fact in many cases I'm running Windows native titles just as fast if not faster than under native Windows. Don't discount Linux as a gaming OS. Considering Nvidia drivers, considering ongoing OGL support, considering native Vulkan support, considering scheduler performance as well as file system speed, Proton/DXVK/DX9VK and the number of native as well as Windows titles available for Linux - Linux is now the second most desirable gaming platform under Steam. MacOS is most definitely the least desirable OS for gaming.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  10. ex4n

ex4n Member

I know some games do work really well under Linux, and that Linux gaming is coming a long way, I haven't tried it myself for a while, but my impression is that it's still a smaller selection of games than would run on Windows, considering games need steam, EGS or Origin, or Battle.net to run etc. I don't think it's quite there yet.

11. flu!d

I'm running titles under Origin, Battlenet as well as EGS and with the exception of BF4 they run perfectly. BF4 used to run perfectly until Punk Buster had a fit, perhaps it detected I was running under Lutris and banned me, who knows or cares. On the topic of Lutris, it's not difficult to use.

Roughly 80% of my library runs just fine, performance is roughly on par with native Windows, in many cases performance exceeds Windows especially where Vulkan is concerned. As stated, Linux is now the second most desirable PC gaming platform, Apple seem to be doing their best to cripple MacOS when it comes to gaming.

Naturally Windows has a larger selection of titles, but the trade off is you have to run Windows. If I need Windows to run 100% of all gaming titles, I'll run Linux.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    ex4n likes this.
  12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

1 disk: Windows first, Linux second. Allow grub to see Windows and make itself the bootloader. Keep a copy of Super Grub2 Disk lying around in case Windows decides to nuke GRUB.
    https://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/

2 disks is better, one OS per.

The Windows bootloader generally won't see Linux nor offer a way to boot it. Alternatively GRUB will recognised Windows 10, and many distros will add Windows as a boot item to play nice with a another OS (or many more) installed near by.

Installing Windows first and Linux second tends to keep things nice and sane. The downside is every now and then, a Windows Update will come along and overwrite GRUB, which can be a bit painful. Using the Super Grub disk mentioned above can fix that back up (there are more manual ways too).

With all of that said, these days with UEFI, it will have numerous OS entries and can boot them direct from there rather than necessarily needing a bootloader.

13. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

This seems an appropriate place to add/ask this question.

Has anyone done a triple boot system?
    I have an existing windows setup to which I'd like to add a hackintosh OS and a Linux OS.

I think the standard practice for a twin boot system is to create a partition for each of the new OS'es and then select at POST which device to boot somehow.

As I value the stability of the existing Windows system, I'd prefer to keep that as is (on the M2 SSD) and set up the other two on a 2.5" SSD. Or if necessary set up Linux and Hackintosh on two separate 2.5" SSDs.

Obviously to do this the thing to do would be to 'unplug' - the other drives and install the OS as a new system on a new drive. However its not really possible for me to unplug the windows disk as its on the back of the mobo.

Advice (other than 'don't bother') welcome.

14. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

My first question reading this is, do you really need to dual boot? Running VMs within the Windows system will allow you to have all 3 systems running simultaneously if need be, without the delay and muck-around with rebooting every time you need to change OS. Virtualisation of operating systems is very smooth and seamless and should satisfy 99% of everyday tasks a person may have.

vladtepes likes this.
  15. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Thanks. I must admit I know next to zero about VM's. Will have to do some research on that.

How would that work as far as programs and storage of data etc goes though?

Links to any relevant instructional / educational info or videos would be appreciated if you know of good ones.

16. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

There I fixed your obvious mistake. ;)

PS - https://lmgtfy.com/?q=gpu+passthrough+linux

This one is a good starting point.
    https://blog.zerosector.io/2018/07/28/kvm-qemu-windows-10-gpu-passthrough/

vladtepes likes this.
  18. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

19. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

However he wants to cut it, doesn't really matter. I'm not going to argue the finer details of linux vs windows as a host except that considering that vladtepes hasn't got the current knowledge to dualboot / setup VMs I can only assume he hasn't ventured far from the windo$e realm of living. Pretty much everyone I know that has linux systems trialled it in a VM under a windows host first. Telling someone to wipe their OS, install linux to re-set up windows as a vm within that host when they have never done any of the above is a bit of a stretch.

20. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

pfft just jump of the cliff... sink or swim... ;)
    Doing stuff in a familiar environment isn't easier then doing it in an unfamiliar environment, its just more familiar, as you have never done it before you still need to learn, step by step instructions exist for both.