Dual Boot Sierra / Win10 just not working for me

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Mrdsol, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Mrdsol

Mrdsol Member

Ok guys, im at wits end here.

Got a 2011 MBP. Using cd drive caddy to hold extra HDD.

I'm wanting to dual boot but have an OS on each drive not split like bootcamp wants to achieve. It's possible right? Surely.

I for the life of me could not boot from external cd drive to run bootcamp install of win10 (restarts to boot from disk although just got black screen with blinking "_"). I did read that the external usb cd drive is no good to boot from, so the disk drive is returned to original internal and it will now boot into W10 installer although...

Can't seem to get the right format happening for the HDD for windows installer to load it on.
    MBR / GPT / NFTS just win installer just can't do it. Surely it's just something stupid here.

Tried third party apple disk utilities / os disk utility / windows installer drive utility.

Anyone had similar issues using win installer to partition / format hdd for it's own install?

Please note: bit of a noob here though.

2. woja

woja Member

I did the same dealio with my wife's iMac. MacOS on the internal drive and windows 10 on an external thunderbolt caddy as I knew I'd be in for it if I stuffed up her MacOS. But she uses windows 100% of the time now haha. It was a bit of a pain in the ass but I followed the instructions from
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5431182

3. OP
    OP
    Mrdsol

Mrdsol Member

Well you see I have done this prior to Sierra OS with no problems whatsoever. Mind you I wasn't loading an unsupported windows on it back then. Loaded on win7 which bootcamp could process although I wanted to get it up to par on winOs.

Although I did find out the problem and its working flawlessly. Some kind of Hybrid MBR formatting not allowing Windows to format under GBT to then install. Had to 'gdisk' within mac os to format the target windows hdd into a true GBT. For some reason disk utility would not format it correctly at all. Neither the boot loader for windows.

Anyways i did get it going by following this exact link for those following at home in many years to come!
    http://fgimian.github.io/blog/2016/03/12/installing-windows-10-on-a-mac-without-bootcamp/
    Half way down it explains the formatting issue.

So with the latest 5 series bootcamp drivers seemed to work brilliantly, fixed the brightness not working via on screen controls or keypad functions.

Although im curious as to how to get the bootcamp stuff happening on the mac os side, im sure there was a taskbar icon for quick rebooting into other OS.