Dual boot uses CSM but I need UEFI

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by von Stalhein, Sep 3, 2021.

1. von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

I have a multi disk system with Win 11 (update channel) and Ubuntu 21.04. When I built the PC & installed the software I did it the old fashioned way and selected CSM in the MSI BIOS. In hindsight, this was not a Good Idea.

It's bitten me on the arse as the weekly update of Win has caused shenanigans, insisting on secure boot and TPM. TPM is easy but if I enable UEFI it just boots to the BIOS.

I was able to use Win 11 until this last update. I can trick Win into a limited functionality by reverting to a restore point. Both disks are backed up to another drive using Back In Time via Ubuntu.

I've been looking for some sort of tutorial but I think I might have to do a complete reinstall of both OS's.

Any workarounds available??? :confused::eek::sick:

2. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

Enjoy your reinstall :thumbup: Pretty much the simplest way around this. Converting partitions generally ends in pain and suffering.

3. OP
    OP
    von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

Yeah how good is lockdown for reinstalls??? :D:D:D
    Thanks for your sympathy.

Now I need to chase up tutes on multi disk dual boots under UEFI.
    Triffic.

4. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

Good way to kill some of the time :lol:

von Stalhein likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

6. Renza

Renza Member

von Stalhein and randomman like this.
  7. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

I'm a bit confused by this as I thought that GPT was something that XP didn't understand and that you would format partitions using GPT if you wanted partitions greater than 2.2 TB in size for any OS after XP. I think that you do need a GPT partition to boot via UEFI but I always thought you could also BIOS boot a GPT partition as well so I'm a bit confused as to why anyone would still use MBR?

8. randomman

randomman Member

^ This. I've deployed it to enterprise computers (in an SCCM Task Sequence) when we had to convert to GPT to disable CSM, enable Secure Boot and TPM to use Bitlocker, worked a treat.

GPT was part of UEFI standards IIRC, some BIOS do support it but most do not.

9. OP
    OP
    von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

10. OP
    OP
    von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

So I spent the whole day backing up stuff I’ve already backed up (to be sure) & reinstalling Windows. Also sorted the BIOS to UEFI & secure boot.
    I was on the channel for win11 updates so reenabled that & then started to install programs like Office etc.
    Now I’m reinstalling MS Flight Sim. That will take a while to do (120Gb d/l) and then I’ll put back IL2, Assassins Creed Valhalla & Godfall (priorities).
    Not that I’ve had much time to play any of them but at least I know they’re there.
    Plan now is to plug back in the Ubuntu & data ssd’s, re-order the boot drive sequence & then (hopefully) be able to run sudo update-grub ftw.
    I know it won’t be this easy

11. OP
    OP
    von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

Yes, I think you're 100% right here - when I built this machine I was too ingrained in The Old Ways, excited to have a PC newer than a i386 and didn't read the rules properly.

12. OP
    OP
    von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

I know you've all been struggling to concentrate on your poor sad lives worrying about how I went - progress report:-

Win 11 is back up via UEFI boot and on the beta thrill seeking channel where I was. Gradually reinstalling programs, but all the essentials I need for work are up (Office etc).

Working on other stuff now - reinstalling ACV, Godfall (don't judge me, they came with the GPU), IL2, MS Flight Sim, Gimp, Lightroom, various utilities.

I thought I might be able to just plug the Ubuntu drive back in as it's GPT but hard nope, it isn't visible in the BIOS because CSM.

Plan now is to wait for the new 1Tb Crucial to turn up, disable the Adata nvme ssd that Win resides on and then do a clean Ubuntu or Slackware install under UEFI.Then sort out the bootloader so that I can pick which OS.

After that I will gradually replace all the stuff I had on the Linux drive from the original ssd. That will then be repurposed as another backup drive.

Please resume normal flaming.