Dual-boot Win 7/XP - No visible wifi networks...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Glock, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Glock

Glock Member

Apologies if this is more of a "troubleshooting help" post, but I'm pretty sure my issue lies somewhere in the network.
    So I've got 7 and XP dualbooting on a single machine with an Intel 5100 AGN wifi card. After some driver issues initially, this works fine in both OS's.
    It gets interesting when I try to swap between them...
    - I can cold boot and reboot in a single OS all day long, no issues.

- If I reboot into 'the other' OS (whichever one I didn't cold boot into) there are no visible networks. Nada. Wifi still working fine for other devices. Adapter still present, no obvious errors, just no networks to connect to.

- If I then reboot back into 'the first' OS (the one I cold booted into) I suddenly have no visible networks either! Only way to resolve this is to shutdown, and leave it for a time (haven't measured sorry, but seems to take at least a few min). An immediate cold boot doesn't restore networks.

This is the same with DHCP and assigned IPs. I'm using a Bob-Lite with NAT, WPA2 AES, no MAC filtering or additional security, save for a hidden SSID.

My only guess is that something odd is going on with the router confusing the two 'clients' with the same physical MAC address. I thought maybe it was something to do with IP leasing but it's exactly the same with static IPs :confused:

Any input or ideas would be much appreciated.

Oh, and it's good to be back. Right now profile info is telling me my last visit was 23/3/13.

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I would think there might be quite a difference in the drivers for XP and Win7 for that network card.

From the driver page we can note that there is only a single XP driver, (Windows XP 64-bit Edition*, Windows XP* 15.8.0) but for Win7 it can be noted both a driver and a "profile Migration Tool".

I suspect this is where your issue lays.

Learn about IntelĀ® PROSet Wireless Profile Migration Tool

By shutting down the PC and then rebooting you have flushed the clients cache and then it will readily "populate" the driver for the OS you have selected, each time.

Need a bit more info, what variants are both of the OS's (32 and or 64)?

Is the Profile Migration Tool installed?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  3. OP
    OP
    Glock

Glock Member

Well sure, I'm using the appropriate XP and 7 variants of the drivers (both version 15.8.0)
    I don't even think the driver packages would install properly cross-OS. at least not without some serious coersion!
    More over, that wouldn't explain why I'm able to get totally normal operation if I cold-boot straight into either OS.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the PSMT is more for upgrades or backups.
    Perhaps some more context is in order, I'm running 32 bit XP in one partition, and 32 bit 7 in another. Startup sequence is BIOS, Windows boot-loader, pick your OS, and away.

It's only when I reboot (and select a different OS), or shutdown and then boot into the 'different' OS without having waited... some time.. that I'm suddenly unable to see any wifi networks.

EDIT: Probably worth noting too that I'm not using the Intel ProSet software, just the drivers themselves and letting windows manage the network adapter.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

They are different drivers for each OS XP=15.8.0, Win7= 16.7.0.

5. OP
    OP
    Glock

Glock Member

Yup, I know there's a later version for Win 7. But the 15.8.0 version is also available for Win 7.
    This is the driver package I have installed for the Win 7 partition.
    Again, I don't think it would even be possible to install the XP drivers by accident and it works dandy when I cold-boot straight into Win 7.

I think the problem is more to do with the interaction with the router somehow, because if the computer is actually off between OS changes, and I still can't see networks... well it can't be solely the computer right? :confused:

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

To assess if it is the router you could always run some CMD - ipconfig and see if that works.

In particular:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

I'm curious is it is the router and it suddenly notices another OS with the same IP address and the firewall blocks it - or something along those lines?

The above CMD will get you a new IP address in the new OS and allows you to analyse it further.

7. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Can't you virtualise your XP image and run that from the Win7 session?

8. OP
    OP
    Glock

Glock Member

BurningFeetMan - I suppose.. But I've already got an XP install, and half the reason I've still got it is the computer is pretty arthritic. So while that probably would resolve this issue, it's not really a solution I like. Thanks anyway though.

Bold Eagle - thanks for the help so far! IPConfig essentially just informed me that there really was no connection active in the 'invisible network' state. Specifically said 'media disconnected' which I assume is just equivalent to 'no connection'.

I tried disabling the router firewall entirely (while offline obvs.) which didn't seem to have any effect.

The plot thickens though, because I've currently got the follow setup;

- discrete, static IP's
    - discrete computer names
    - same workgroup

this yields an even more confusing situation;

- cold boot into either OS is fine
    - switching to 7 is fine. It seems I can reboot into it all I want now.
    - switching to XP, or even switching back to XP results in no visible networks.

So I can start in XP, reboot to 7, then if I reboot back to XP there's no networks, but if I reboot into 7 again it still works fine.

This is really doing my head in, going to have to start taking notes :rolleyes:
    At this point it seems like it's probably functional for most purposes, but now I'm just really intruiged as to what on earth could be causing this?

Finally, scratch what I said about cold boots vs. waiting a few minutes. Seems like I can just shutdown and then start manually and this is the same as a 'fresh' boot.

Are there any differences between a cold-boot and a reboot that might be relevant here? Some kind of really low-level access to the wifi adapter perhaps?