1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

dual booting win7/snow leopard on an mbp

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by ryooma, May 21, 2011.

1. ryooma

ryooma (Banned or Deleted)

i have a mid-2009 mbp.

thinking if this is possible

1. 1st native osx partition = will contain OSX
    2. 2nd native osx partition = personal files
    3. 3rd partition = windows 7 x64

partition 1 and 2 will be partition and formatted during osx install. partition 3 will be done during windows 7 install.

just wondering if this is possible and how do i setup multi-booting?

i tried bootcamp but it needs a single osx partition. I need a separate partition to save my personal files. so if i have to reinstall osx again, i dont have to move them elsewhere first.

thank you

2. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

You'd only have to remove your files if you did an erase and install, rather than an archive and install.

Between time machine and that process I've never lost any files after about 10 reinstalls over the past five years for various reasons (mainly beta installations of the OS).

You can resize your boot partition safely by using Disk Utility when booting off your install media (either a restore or retail disk), it'll then give you the option of resizing the partition.

That would let you create the single partition for your installation, then use boot camp assistant to create the windows one, then boot from the CD to resize the Mac partition into a smaller one and adding the third.

3. Hyram

Hyram Member

The only safe way to get Windows onto a Mac is through Boot Camp Assistant -- not only does this do the initial partitioning, but it loads the EFI partition and the SMC with the EFI BIOS Emulation Layer.

The way to approach a triple-partition dual boot is this way:
    1. Move any large media files you may have on your internal HD to another volume somewhere (server, PC, external HD, burn to DVD etc).
    2. Either use Time Machine to do a complete backup of your current install, or Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to clone your entire current OSX install to an external HFS-formatted hard drive.
    3. Boot from your OSX Install DVD, launch Disk Utility from the Utilities menu, select the internal hard drive, re-partition to a single HFS partition, click Options at the bottom and ensure it is set to GPT partitioning. Apply the new partitioning scheme.
    4. Install OSX, customise what gets installed if you wish.
    5. Upon first restart, endure the welcome movie, click through the language selector, and you will be presented with the Migration Assistant ('Transfer My Files'). Connect your Time Machine drive or the drive you cloned your old install to with CCC. Choose the correct option (for the CCC clone, choose 'Another partition on this computer') and select everything you want imported.
    6. Once you get to the desktop, open /Applications/Utilities/Boot Camp Assistant. Split your drive so that the 'WINDOWS' partition is big enoough to hold both the Win7 partition you want and the other HFS partition you want for your docs. Apply the split, but when it asks you to insert your Windows install disc, click 'Install later' and quit Boot Camp Assistant.
    7. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. Select the internal hard drive, click the Partitions tab. Click the WINDOWS partition, then click the '-' button on the bottom to remove it.
    8. Click the '+' button to add a partition, select it in the graphical map, and either drag the bottom up to where you want or manually enter the desired size, and make sure it is to be formatted as HFS Extended (Journaled).
    9. Click the '+' button again to add a third partition, but this time change the format to MS-DOS. Apply the changes. Quit Disk Utility and (assuming you have Finder set to show volumes on the desktop) you should now have three drives.
    10. Insert your Windows 7 DVD and restart the Mac. As soon as it chimes, press and hold the Option key until it shows the iconic boot-menu. Wait for the watch-cursor to go away (this can take up to a minute, be patient!) and as soon as you get the arrow, click the DVD icon for your Windows installer disc.
    11. Once the Windows 7 disc has booted, select your language and click 'Install Windows Now'. Click the advanced options, select the last partition shown as the install destination, and confirm that you want to reformat that partition as NTFS. Complete the Windows 7 install.
    12. Your Mac is now currently set to boot automatically into Windows (necessary because of the multiple-restarts method Windows uses to get going initially) and to be able to finish the install easily, plug in a standard three-button (two button & wheel) USB mouse. Once you can get to the desktop, click the Explorer icon in the taskbar next to the start button, find the Windows installer DVD, right-click and choose 'Eject'. Insert your Mac's Mac OS X Install DVD (either a retail copy or the first grey disc that came with the machine). If autoplay does not open the Boot Camp installer, navigate to the DVD and launch Setup.
    13. Install the Boot Camp package to add all the necessary drivers for your Windows install, plus the mandatory Apple software components such as Boot Camp Control Panel and Apple Software Update.
    14. Restart once install is complete, once you get to the desktop again launch Apple Software Update from the Start menu and use it to install the updated drivers (trust me, there'll be updates!). Don't install Safari unless you really want it. Restart again when done.

That's it - dualboot with HFS-HFS-NTFS partitioning. To change between OSes, hold down Option at power-on/restart to call up Apple's boot manager, or install rEFIt, or use the Startup Disk pane in OSX's System Preferences and/or the Boot Camp Control Panel in Windows.