Dual core Opterons release date

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Mr.Abdul, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Mr.Abdul

Mr.Abdul Member

look what i fond in my longhorn side bar :D

Link

what do u think is the credibility of this?

as soon as i read that i started to drool :D

Abdul

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  2. stmok

stmok Member

April 21st = Opteron 8/4-way
    May = Opteron 2-way
    End of June = A64 "Toledo"

August = My birthday (plenty of $$$ saved) => HAPPY! HAPPY! JOY! JOY! :D

I'm going for Opteron 2-way and A64 variants. ;)

3. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

A week ago i would have said its BS, but after what Intel pulled and the amazing pricing i wouldnt be supprised.
    You know, it could just be the 8xx series at the same price, those chips are not cheap.
    But it hope it is true, ive got dual dual core Opteron fever, i was going to get it soon with some single cores for a short while but i may just have to wait...

4. OP
    OP
    Mr.Abdul

Mr.Abdul Member

Me too :D new PC in August for sure.

5. OP
    OP
    Mr.Abdul

Mr.Abdul Member

6. Danthemanz

Hmmm, well thats not cheap, $851US for the dual core 1.8ghz, that 3 to 4 times the price of the current one :(

Dammit, I got my hopes up, maybe i will have to go dual single core to start :(

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  7. OP
    OP
    Mr.Abdul

Mr.Abdul Member

Sonfirmed 21st of April release by AMD link

8. Dr.Zero!

Dr.Zero! Member

shit, thats like next week, i'm gonna buy a couple of these babys :p

but until windows supports it, im gonna have to cook these bitches in linux...

stupey XP and its only supporting 2 processors

9. OP
    OP
    Mr.Abdul

Mr.Abdul Member

doesnt that mean u can use one of these cpu's then? as in if u have a dual cpu mother bord put one of these dual core in a slot and windows will support it?

also mad avatar i still my old K6-II 450MHz it was MAAAD

10. Danthemanz

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  11. Deja Vu

Deja Vu Member

If these release dates are true then that is damn awesome. I cant wait, all i have to do (hopefully) is update bios and drop in a new dual core and away i can go. Hopefully then i will stop upgrading my system for awhile.

12. OP
    OP
    Mr.Abdul

Mr.Abdul Member

i have found 3 different sources one from AMD so im guessing its true.

13. Danthemanz

Well it looks like the 8xx series will be coming out next Friday (Aus time) but we will still have to wait for the 2xx series. Hopefully they will confirm some pricing on the 2xx series on the 21st. If the pricing is as it was leaked this week (3/4 times single core price) it will be a year before i can afford dual dual core :(

14. Deja Vu

Deja Vu Member

Next friday is the offical shipping date right? Thus not a paper launch and the CPU will be pretty much available form that day?

What is intels offical ship date for their 8xx pentium D series again?

15. Danthemanz

Yep, the 8xx will be shipping from Friday. It looks like the Pentium D will be shipping from "May" some time...
    Toledo sometime in June....

What Motherboard do you have Deja Vu?
    I will be getting the Tyan K8WE when i decide on some chips.

16. Deja Vu

Deja Vu Member

I have a 939 MSI Neo2.

I wouldnt mind haveing 2 dual core opterons on that tyan board that runs the nforce chipset and has SLI. Unfortunatly I dont have that kind of money.

Also i was just thinking. Why is intel releasing their dual core cpu's from the desktop end upward (ignoring itanium as its such a small segment). Intel is releasing dual core for the desktop first because AMD is doing well there yes, i dont see how it will affect sales though, alot of people buying A64's are doing so because of games, which are single threaded. Secondly i think opterons are the better server end CPU, with their own individal memory access through the ondie memory controller, the hypertransport to link to the rest of the system and other CPU's shouldnt intel be more worried about AMD's server sales increasing rather then the desktop?

17. OP
    OP
    Mr.Abdul

Mr.Abdul Member

yeah i think ppl should wait for the A64 Dual Cores they should be cheaper(obviously) then opteron.

18. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

8xx series = Pentium D

19. Deja Vu

Deja Vu Member

Actually AMD had the code 8xx first remember, so shouldnt we accociate 8xx with opterons before Pentium D's as intel has sort of stolen the name?

20. stmok

stmok Member

Put it this way...Server/workstation market makes the big bucks, Desktop market has a wider audience.

Looking from Intel view, if you win over the larger audience, then they'll most likely use your brand of CPU when they are a part of the Server/workstation market.

Intel isn't too worried about server/workstation sales, as they are largely dominant. (like all other markets)...They are proven in this market.

AMD on the other hand, have to demonstrate that they can provide an alternative that is just as good (if not better) in workstation/server market.

AMD have already shown their desktop CPUs kick ass with less power consumption (especially "E" versions), so I guess they can let the desktop folks hang a bit longer.

Intel, on the other hand, know they are losing the desktop market to AMD, and they need to gain back the marketshare lost. Releasing dual-core on the desktop is a good way to get no-clue Jane/Joe to get a new setup (LGA775 sales haven't been very good...Dual-core can improve that).

I'll probably get one Socket 939 desktop setup and one dual Socket 940 (SMP, dual CPU) mobo this year, and wait until two revisions of the newer Socket M2 before upgrading my two other systems. (assuming they're still ATX spec mobos by then).