dual firefox versions installed?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by BobJustBob, Jan 18, 2019.

1. BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

can i install and run, without issues, two different versions of firefox browser on windows 7? obviously they will not be open/running simultaneously - just installed in their own separate directories and running one at a time. (in fact i will mainly run the newer one for daily browsing, which i will update, and use the old one, with no more updating, for some very specific -and no longer maintained- add-on use.) my only real concern, potentially, might be any "shared" stuff that might be happening - if it is. though it may not be an issue anyway because the last directory in the "config" files location structure is always a randomly generated type; \Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\qa3an0pd.default. issues could happen i think, only, if the "config" location would be shared, which they are not. right?

i am thinking this is how having two separate version firefoxes would look like;

firefox 5.xx installed under; C:\Program Files\Firefox_5602
    firefox 6.xx installed under; C:\Program Files\Firefox_6xxx
    (or whatever directory names as made by me)

both having a separate "config" directory like so;

\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\qa3an0pd.default
    \Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\vs5ar8txw.default
    (which are auto created by the firefox install itself)

so, in theory, if you wanted to, you could have dozens of different firefoxes. i want just two. and i'm asking this just before trying it anyway, in case someone else runs two or more and reports no issues.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  2. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Try Waterfox as well Firefox?

Why do you want to run different versions? If for QC purposes and regression testing you would start considering VMs.

Trying to install multiple versions of FF won't work within the one OS environment.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I can see how you would want to sometimes. Occasionally they do change the version enough that you like the new changes but they have gone and screwed something up or your favourite plugin you can't live without is not supported yet.

I would have just tried a portable version as suggested above. Should work completely fine.

5. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

yeah, mozilla are shits. having two "properly installed" does share some things and when either opens can fuck things in the other..
    and i was right, already hating it. so they did fucking make cookies into "one".. rat scumbags. yeah, there may be 3rd party add-ons, so what? now i need to "dirty" the install with such tools. and yeah, you can also kinda use the dev tools to fuck around in a much more complex way with single cookies, and again, why? ah, i know, because that johnj guy or whatever decided it. one guy out of how many? though no doubt all cucks/sjw types, i guarantee it.. cringe at my writing style all you want, mozilla is "developed" by typical linux cucks with beards, most virgins, who get off on doing this to the general population of which they are not a part of. and his excuse is utter shit. that "noobs" would get confused using the old cookie setting where you see individual cookies. my comeback; firstly, no noobs used that feature anyway. if someone went to options > cookies before already, they were not "confused nana" types. secondly, ok, then make it as is, asswipes, but keep the old method too via another option -- or to really make sure only "leet" users get to it, via the "about::config" setting. but, no, they change it to shit. it's to give less control to people. they want browser dumbed down as part of control and such.

if you are genuine, advise of the "best" MHT saver available now for firefox. i want to save some webpages as a single file (mht/mhtl) with everything included. i used to have and love "mozilla archive format", but it's not quantum compatible and they won't update..