Dual monitor mimic on large single screen ?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by vladtepes, Nov 9, 2020.

1. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I have one of those wide screen Kogan 34" monitors

Is there a way to set this (or any large monitor) it up so can have two windows – one snapped to the LHS and one to the right so split screen that works essentially like a dual monitor setup?

At the moment too often one program will snap and take over the whole screen - hard to keep two open side by side at the same time.

2. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Do you mean automatically all the time?
    Not just using [Windows Key] + [Left Arrow] to snap a window to the left hand half and [Windows Key] + [Right Arrow] to snap the other one to the right hand half?

3. I)ickie

I)ickie Member

I've had great success with Display Fusion for browsers, IDEs etc. One caveat is that it does not work for full screen exclusives like games or video players except for when they are windowed.

You could always get a monitor with PiP or PbP and use two cables

4. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I didn't know those, thanks !

Nah, love my Kogan - GREAT value for money.

OK so my specific use cases are:

Scenario 1:
    YT in one window, Da Vinci Resolve in the 2nd window.

Scenario 2:
    File explorer in one window, Da Vinci Resolve in the 2nd window.

5. power

power Member

6. I)ickie

I)ickie Member

Yes I believe those scenarios would be supported with display fusion as long as you don't fullscreen Youtube. If you want Youtube to take up the whole window frame you could try a browser extensions like "Enhancer for Youtube"

Looking at this though it appears that your Kogan monitor already supports Picture in Picture (PiP) mode anyway

7. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

8. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

So Dual screen has 'four edges', so you can have four applications with half a window each (or even an eighth of a window). Is that what you are trying to achieve or do you just want two up?

9. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Yeah, I have a 38" 21:9 screen, and that's all I do. I often put two windows side-by-side, and it works fine for what I want. Saves screwing around with extra software.

Also, if you hold down the Windows key and press [Left Arrow] then [Down Arrow], it will make it the bottom left quarter of the screen, etc. Can move the window around the corners of your screen by holding the Windows Key down and using the arrows. Handy.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    vladtepes likes this.
  10. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

DisplayFusion is great if you want something more flexible than halves or quarters (especially as quarters are super weird on 21:9 screen)

My work setup is a 43" 4K panel and a pretty-awful 1920*1080 panel, split into 5 zones. On the small monitor I keep a ~780px column for Slack, leaving a useful 1100-odd pixels for something else (most often a terminal or a password manager). Half and half would be excessively generous for Slack and very cramped for my password manager.

On the big monitor I use a 3-zone split - on the left side a tall 1920x2160 zone holds my main focus (most often a text editor) and the two right zones provide roughly normal-monitor-sized spaces for Outlook and some reference documentation or whatever.

On your 21:9 monitor you might find it useful to split into roughly thirds - with 3440px there's enough space to have a main focus around 1600px across while keeping the other two zones at a still-useful width.

11. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Windows 10 has window snapping built it, it's not quite how it worked in Windows 7 (the main issue being that it didn't snap properly, and left a tiny gap). So I ended up downloading AquaSnap and used it in the simple mode with basically everything else disabled.

Works fine.

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

Little surprised no one has mentioned Windows 10 Power Toys as of yet. I use it with my 42" super ultra wide which works great.

https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/releases/

The feature is called fancy zones. The rest can be turned off if you don't want them.

13. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

The built in snapping feature when dragging windows manually) of windows 10 always snaps things OVER the top of other stuff, I hate it.
    This my looking for better options.

The keyboard shortcuts though have potential so I'll see how that goes for a while hat t a run.

I've been thinking and main splits I'd want are 25:75 and 50:50

14. asho444

asho444 Member

Try below, it's like an upgraded snap tool for windows. I personally just use the windows function, you can adjust the size of the windows on each size by moving the divider.