Dual Rank vs pairs of single rank

Discussion in 'Memory' started by @sia@home, Nov 13, 2017.

1. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

On the topic of x299 quad channel.

If you put 2 sticks of single rank per channel, is it going to offer the same bandwidth increase as a single stick of dual rank? I know I'll need to loosen the timings but I have a rough ideal of what will be required there.

2. dasa2

dasa2 Member

4 dual rank sticks would be fastest with a cpu that supports quad channel
    but dual rank itself doesn't make much difference its far less than a extra channel its just another a small step a bit like 3000 to 3200 but one that can make reaching higher speeds a fair bit more difficult as it puts more stress on the memory controller
    for example 64g sr 4200 is in the memory qvl for a x299 mb while 128g dr maxes out at 3800

3. OP
    OP
    @sia@home

@sia@home Member

Yeah I noticed the same thing for gskill quad kits

Single rank 4x8GB PC3600 is avilable in 16-16-16-39
    Dual rank 4x16GB PC3600 is only available in 17 19 19 x

I also saw faster kits were available in 2x8gb single rank kits (ie tight timings higher clock speed)

My question was more, if I get and additional 4x8GB kit will I get the dual rank benefit by having 2 ranks per channel.

4. dasa2

dasa2 Member

nope
    from memory some older asus dual channel mb were advertising that they had improved performance with 4 sticks
    but the gains were a fair bit less than dual rank sticks and it was probably even harder on the memory controller lowering the max oc even further than two dual rank sticks