DUMB question but - is your rig a desktop or under desk floor rig? Implications?

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by Crewcut, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Crewcut

Crewcut Member

Hi all,
    I don't have the desk real estate for my rig to be an actual desktop.
    Are there any implications with cord lengths or rig and peripheral designs having the rig on the floor?

2. lagmaster

lagmaster Member

Yeah sometimes you can be let down by something with a short cord but there are ways around it. Most keyboards and some monitors have USB ports in them.

Having the computer on or near the floor helps dust get into it though, that's probably the biggest implication. With bottom intake fans and PSU intakes typically facing the floor these days, if you're going to sink your rig into the carpet, these will be blocked for airflow, and what air flow they get will be dusty.

I have my PC on the carpet but I've got a piece of timber board between it and the carpet to try and keep the ventilation open. And the dust, well you just have to check and clean if necessary more often.

daehenoc and Crewcut like this.
  3. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

??? I've always had my desktop sitting on the floor. Cord lengths will obviously depend on the size of your desk and placement of monitors and peripherals compared to the box.

One annoying thing about a box on the floor is increased dust, especially on carpet.

Crewcut likes this.
  4. power

power Member

for maximum deskspace and also making sure my PC doesn't act like a stationary roomba i have mine on top of a chest thing beside my desk, which works for me.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Crewcut likes this.
  5. Hater

Hater Member

Yep

771C7D39-01C3-41FE-9F3B-C30BF7603C30.jpeg

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I used to have mine sitting on the carpet but always got pretty dusty. I bought one of these iKea glass topped side tables that sits right next to my desk, hardly any dust these days.

Crewcut likes this.
  7. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

8. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Since I got a 2nd monitor I had to move my case down to the ground.

Get one of these and put the case on top of it. It makes it so much easier to move around when required to do maintenance or troubleshooting. It also keeps it directly off the floor.
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/syneco-580-x-290-x-100mm-movers-dolly_p3962033

Monitor cables should be okay if they're 2m, but you'd be better off getting a 3m cable since the cost for a 3m wouldn't be that different anyway. The USB cables I've needed for my mouse & keyboard have been long enough on their own.

The one thing I've needed a longer than normal cable for is an extension for my headphones as the cord goes all the way around the back of my desk to the left and then up, it also requires a conversion from the headphones to the input on my soundcard so it also doubles as that.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Crewcut likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut Member

Yes - a good old dolly should do the job.

Don't most monitors have sound ports? Maybe this should be another thread, and I'm probably phrasing the question the wrong way, but I thought HDMI cables could carry enough sound to then be relayed through an audio port on the monitor for headphones? Or does that mess up controlling the sound options in Windows OS?

10. clonex

clonex Member

computer on the floor more likely to end up with a black toe:lol:

Crewcut likes this.
  11. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Yeah, it can. Works fine. I found a tiny tray applet that switches between audio outputs (audioswitch (hotkey!)) that works well going between headphones hanging off the monitor and standard speakers.

12. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

I game in the loungeroom these days, so I have a small TV stand next to my lounge which has my monitor on it, and I have an itx build inside the cabinet. I've hung a molex adaptor out the front of the case and cut some holes in the back of the cabinet so I can have a pair of 140mm fans (one end inlet one end outlet) and the whole setup seems to work OK.

13. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

Desktop - floor is too dusty and I have a habit of smashing things with the vac.

Go small form factor and get a nice monitor arm? Nice excuse for another build...:leet:

14. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

My x34 has speakers but no sound ports. It can run sound through the HDMI but I prefer my headphones so I just have the speakers disabled. My Xonar Essence is a soundcard built around use with headphones so even if I could run it through the monitor I wouldn't do it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  15. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut Member

Your itx build - would that be mini, nano or pico - and how do you find part availability - power - and cost compared to standard atx?

16. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

It's a mini, 7700k/16gb/Nvidia 1080 etc.

No real issues with the build to be honest, graphics card size vs case is a consideration but I think my itx case (T/T Suppressor) is on the larger side for itx. Plenty of parts available for itx these days, especially if you buy the right case. I use a standard ATX power supply, a full length VGA card and the only downside really is that motherboards tend to be a little more expensive.

I did have to grind down the noctua CPU cooler a little so it would fit next to the RAM but that's just because the RAM heatsinks sit just inside the standard footprint/cooler space. Without heatsinks on the RAM it would have fit fine.

Crewcut likes this.
  17. Matthew Harvery

Matthew Harvery New Member

Depends on the airflow

18. Matthew Harvery

Matthew Harvery New Member

If its not on carpet then its okay.:thumbup:

19. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I've been considering moving the case down to the floor, but being on carpet I was looking at simply using a timber rectangle or maybe building a small box for it to sit on. For $12 that seems like a pretty good alternative! :D

macktheknife likes this.
  20. cvidler

cvidler Member

they're called desktop PC's for a reason :)

Not enough space, get more desktop.

as covered dust is the biggest reason to not have them on the floor. also if you have pets/small kids more risk of damaged/pulled cables etc. on the floor.