Dumb question re: ghosting a raided OS to single SSD. (Win10)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by FerrisXB9R, Jan 16, 2019.

1. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

My brother in law's pc is ancient, and has been set up with a dual hdd raid 0 array (2x500gb for a total storage of 500gb) for the win10 OS. Without wanting to break his shit, can I just ghost/acronis/dd/whatever the raid 0 array to a single ssd of the same size (1x500gb) and have it boot from that instead? It's a stupid fucking setup in the first place, and he wants to blow a bit of life into the pc. I haven't checked how it's raided, via software or hardware, all I know is there's a raid 0 array running Win10.

I have no issue with running a linux bootdisk to do any imaging if it comes to that, I just don't know if I can break this array or not without flubbing his system.

I'll be actually looking at the pc come friday, wanted to get there with the appropriate tooling prior to then.

2. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Well you have said raid 0 which is striping which would mean 2x500gb for 1TB or 2x 250gb for 500Gb as the data is striped.

So is it raid 0 or raid 1 which is mirroring which woukd be, 2x500gb for 500gb.

if raid0 software or hardware matters as whatever did the raid will need to br running to read it.

if raid1 you should be able yo mirror one disk and it may work, if its software via windows it will probabaly crack the sads thou and think its a damaged raid1 array.

Honestly fresh drive, do a fresh install its better in the long run. That will give a new lease in life itself, its interesting that its windows 10 with raid thou since any recent PC would have been built with an ssd. Which may also suggest its an upgrade, even more reason for fresh install.

3. power

power Member

not a dumb question and as a matter of fact if you just imaged and booted you will find yourself stuck in a reboot loop.

ideally you'd do a fresh re-install, otherwise you have to faff about a bit.

you have a couple of options.

Macrium appears to have a good boot fixer, https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/38629-migrating-os-raid-0-single-ssd-2.html

Samsung provide a migration tool with their drives as well which supposedly does the job.

Last time I had to do this I would make sure the OS had initialised a non raid drive on the same type of controller I was trying to image to before imaging and because Windows was aware of the drive once I imaged it it booted just fine, this also works the other way.

It's all about the hard drive controller driver having initialised.

the other more painful way is using sysprep with switches to force the OS to detect the hard drive controller before shutting down and imaging - but for most users like yourself i wouldn't recommend that.

4. ex4n

ex4n Member

5. OP
    OP
    FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Yeah I've not seen it, only been explained by my slightly tech-oriented, but not really tech savvy bro-in-law. I'm pretty sure the way he described it was 500gb of storage with raid zero. I've personally never tried to break a raid array but keep the data integrity. I'm used to copying everything off it and just starting anew, or repairing a raid, but in this case, I don't want his OS raided. I'd like to re-use his spinning rust for data storage instead. (He's cheap)

I was afraid that the best solution is to blow it away with a fresh install, which is what I'd LIKE to do, but likely won't be allowed to do (It's a lawyers pc, fuck knows what on it). I'm going to attempt an image of one drive via a linux boot cd or something, see what happens. If it doesn't boot, I'll see if he'll let me install windows fresh on the SSD I kindly supplied him, or attempt a Veeam backup/resto. (Didn't realise there was a free offering)

...This guy still has a 4:3 aspect ratio Dell monitor. Fuck knows what the rez is.

Anyhoo, thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate your input very much.

6. power

power Member

if it's a remote PC get a better idea with something like Teamviewer.

7. OP
    OP
    FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Yeah Teamviewer is fucken awesome, but it's more of a "getting him to stand in front of the pc in his basement" issue. He's a busy dude, hence me going to check it out and give it a freshen up. Personally, I'd rather just buy him a cheap second hand last gen pc. I reckon it'll save me a lot of heartache in the long run.

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

9. power

power Member

by the sound of it you shouldn't have told him you know how to computer.

10. NSanity

NSanity Member

You never tell *anyone* you know how to computer...

Ratzz and Dr Evil like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Yeah, you guys know where it's at. :D Unavoidable fate for me in this instance.

12. power

power Member

"i did the research you have to blow it away and start again, buy a new pc and get back to me."

13. OP
    OP
    FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Funnily enough, I spoke to him today and he's decided he cbf keeping anything on the pc, I've been given the go-ahead to just start afresh. Thank fuck.

Dr Evil, NSanity and power like this.
  14. power

power Member

do yourself a favour copy his data to an external anyway - because reasons.

15. OP
    OP
    FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Oh I already have a NAS ready to fucken go.

power likes this.
  16. power

power Member

hope you have an invoice too :) Sounds like he's getting a good deal. Or maybe he can get you out of jail at some point, lol.

17. OP
    OP
    FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

I'll work that angle. He *IS* criminal defence. :D The only issue is how to get Canadian's to jail you. I know, I'll call Ice Hockey "Skatey-Punchy" or something in a bar.

18. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Easiest way: do it live.

Use snapshot64 from within the working Windows os. Make sure Windows can see the new drive first though..

Restore it to the new drive.

Change boot seq in bios.

See if it boots.

If it does, disable the old drive and check again.

You should be able to coach a noob over the phone since it has no usb boot or annoying stuff.