Dumplings/Gyoza

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by sbm888, Nov 30, 2012.

1. sbm888

sbm888 Member

Hi all

finally I am brave enough to share my dumpling/gyoza recipe.

http://www.onthechoppingboard.com/p/dumplings.html

--------------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind, this is only 1 variation, I will give instructions on how to deviate from this as we go.
    The reason we use Pork Neck, is because it has fat... lean meat is not to be used for dumplings, it makes the filling dry and boring. With Chinese cooking, the more fat the better in meats.

You can also add Chicken Thigh fillets into this mixture, it adds additional texture to the mince and a different type of fat.

Dry Shiitake mushrooms have a lot more flavour..... unless you live in Japan and can get fresh ones, the only good alternative is dry ones in packets.

All ingredients (highlighted) below can be purchased from the Chinese Grocery stores in Central Market.

[​IMG]

1) 1 pack of dumpling skin (round white ones) get the large pack

2) 1kg or 2kg of Pork Neck (Minced – get the Chinese butcher to mince it for you) Each 1kg of pork neck will use a full pack of dumpling skin.

3) Filling number 1 - this is where we start to deviate to alternatives. My family recipe uses Chives. Each 1kg of Mince equates to 1 bunch of chives. Finely chop Chives and place into mixing bowl along with mince. You can always use 2 bunches of chives for 1 kg of mince... depends on whether you like the flavour. Trial and error is the key with any cooking.

For each 1kg of Mince, use 1 tablespoon of Corn Flour. This makes the mince much softer.
    For each 1kg of mince, add 1 teaspoon of Soy Sauce and ½ teaspoon of rice wine. (You can leave out soy sauce if you want, I always prefer natural flavours from the shiitake and Chives – but its a personal thing).
    Add a few dashes of Sesame oil (Another personal thing, you can always leave out)
    Add a few sprinkles of white pepper (Another personal thing...)
    For each 1kg of mince chop up 3-4 large DRY Shiitake Mushrooms. To prepare Shiitake, place them into a bowl of hot water and soak for 1-2 hours. This makes the soft, and releases all juices. We will re-use this water and pour a little into the mince to add more flavour. Once the Shiitake is soft, finely chop them up and place into bowl. For each 1kg of mince pour about 2-3 tablespoons of that Shiitake water into the mixture, careful not to scrape the bottom, as sediments from the Shiitake usually sit there.
    [​IMG]
    Shiitake on left, chives in the middle, cornflour on the right. Pork and seasoning on the bottom
    Go to step 5)

4) Filling number 2, or other alternatives - If you don’t like Pork, you can always substitute with Chicken, and even Prawns.... whichever ingredient you choose, don’t forget to put corn flour into the mixture.
    Chicken goes great with Ginger and Shiitake. I would say roughly 70% Chicken, 15% Shitake and 5% Ginger will be a good base start, and work from there.
    IF you prefer prawns (keep in mind, frozen prawns will make everything quite moist, so drain prawns very well before you put into mixture) garlic, ginger and spring onion go best.
    IF you want additional greens in dumplings, you can always use finely chopped up Bok Choy. This also adds moisture into dumplings.
    If you are using alternatives, just trial and error until you get to your personal tastes

5) Mix ingredients and let it settle for about 20-30 minutes.

6) Prepare a tray or table top by sprinkling corn flour so skins do not stick.

7) For each dumpling skin, place around 1 to 1½ tea spoon of filling into the centre. Dab a bit of water on the edge of the skin
    [​IMG]
    8) Close the dumpling by folding it in half to make semi-circle joining the wet edges to the non wet edges.
    [​IMG]

9) Squeeze the edges to ensure dumpling is closed. You can use a fork, or just twist the edges so they close nicely.
    [​IMG]

10) Few ways you can cook these
    Boil them – boiling them can be done for fresh, or frozen dumplings. Never thaw dumplings, boil them frozen. Basically boil them until the inside is cooked, you will tell if you overboil, the skin will be like a torn wet tissue.
    If you decide to boil them, you can use a fancy fold to the dumplings to is catches more soup, etc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deep Fry - Fry them fresh - until golden brown on the outside.
    Pan Fry - can be fried frozen or fresh. Add a little water and oil in to pan. Fry until golden brown, can be flipped, etc
    Steam - not the best method - tastes the same as boiled and time is a lot longer.

11) If you are planning to freeze them, lay them all out on a large plate dusted with corn and place it into the freezer as is..... after 1 night, take them out and remove them from the plate and place into zip lock bags for easier storage or pass them to your friends!

12) Ok –don’t worry, if you have mince left over, you make an Omelette, or even Fried Rice with it J
    There you have it, my first (badly written) attempt to pass on my secret dumpling recipe ;)

[​IMG]

please let me know how you all go?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. kangathekat

kangathekat (Banned or Deleted)

omg can't wait to try, i love Gyoza!

3. mrthong

mrthong Member

D: something for mum to learn!

4. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

Can you cut and paste the recipe / photos here please?

A lot of people have linked to blogs etc in the past, then disappear, leaving the recipe section with nothing but dead links.

Love these also, usually just buy the aussie made frozen ones from the asian markets.

5. OP
    OP
    sbm888

sbm888 Member

all done for ya!

6. scon

scon Member

Mmm.. I love gyoza. Come to think of it i have all the ingredients barring the wrappers... maybe i'll make some tonight!

I fold the wrapper slightly differently. I leave one end flat and crimp the other.

Like this (not my video) :

In my mind one of the most important things is how you cook them, basically frying them and then when the bottom of them is golden, adding water so that they steam and you get a great combo of crispy friedness (yes friedness is a word) and supple steamed goodness.

7. OP
    OP
    sbm888

sbm888 Member

Thanks for reminding me - I totally forgot the pan fry way... just added.

8. scon

scon Member

I made these last night but completely stuffed the actual cooking of them after all that! Did the pan fry method but they end up sticking and some fell apart when I tried to remove them from the pan. I've frozen a few so I'll try them again tonight.

They were delicious! Thanks for reminding me how good they are. I also like to add quite a bit of very finely shredded wombok (chinese cabbage) and serve them with chili marinated bamboo shoots.

9. OP
    OP
    sbm888

sbm888 Member

glad you liked them. Yea, the cooking(pan fry) isvery hard to describe in words... all stoves work differently, all pans work differently, so just need to watch it constantly, not too high heat, sometimes cover sometimes open, etc...takes a few goes to work out.

the beauty is, you control the ingredients and add as much more filling or as little as you like.

I'm just about to make another 200 now!

10. $qwuzzy

$qwuzzy Member

Looks pretty awesome!
    How many will the quantities listed in the OP make?

11. OP
    OP
    sbm888

sbm888 Member

1kg mince with 1 large bag of skins will make around 80+ with some skin left.... I used 2 kgs of mince, made 130 but with heaps of meat left.. I alwaysvrather meat left over than skin..

12. RETARD

RETARD New Member

dude awesome!

I've had a recipe for these sitting on my desktop for about 6 months :o

Pan fry is definitely the way to go - i just love the crispy / soft / juicy texture.

One thing i would like to know though ... is how to make those awesome chilli dipping sauces you get at the dumpling houses?

13. edzknows

edzknows Member

Is it sriracha?

14. RETARD

RETARD New Member

something more like this:

[​IMG]

15. edzknows

edzknows Member

That looks yum.

No idea of a recipe, but looks like chilli and fried onions with oil.

16. Orphan

Orphan Member

Do want. I guess it is time to check out the Asian Grocer near my place for some wrappers. Is the fattiest off the shelf pork mince fatty enough or do you really need neck mince to get good flavor?

17. RETARD

RETARD New Member

If you cant find the wrappers they are so ridiculously easy to make with only 2 ingredients.
    But for convenience and the sake of losing the will to live buying them is better.

I have made these many moons ago with traditional pork shoulder mince it was fine.
    however why not head to your butcher and ask him/her to mince you up some of the real stuff.

I have also made them with turkey mince (there was literally no other mince in the entire shop) as i had promised to make them for someone that night. They were the driest pieces of hard labour i have ever eaten :D

18. OP
    OP
    sbm888

sbm888 Member

I'll pass you a recipe! my uncle does the best for his restaurant.... I'll ask him for his secret recipe! givemesometime, gotta start perfecting my . ass kissing.....

19. RETARD

RETARD New Member

oh nice!
    me love you long time :D
    is his restaurant in Adelaide?

20. Orphan

Orphan Member

I watched a tutorial on YouTube. For my first attempt I think I will stick with pre-made wrappers for that very reason haha. Looks a bit tedious to start out. There is an Asian grocer not far from my place I will check out, if they don't have it there are a dozen butchers in my area so shouldn't be hard to get minced pork neck to do it right.
    I recall turkey being quite lean no?

Can you pan fry frozen dumplings or is it better to stick to boiling them? If I am successful in my attempt I will probably end up making a largish batch every now and then and freezing a bunch for later meals/snacks.