1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Dungeons and Dragons

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Cabbagesquirrel, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Cabbagesquirrel

Cabbagesquirrel Member

Come on you dirty orcs, who has played with a +1 mace in their day? Or still does. Or am I the only one and will have to hide my shame.

2. kwax

kwax Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: ahhhh the good old days.

I use to hang out with my older bro alot back in the old days. Him and his mates were heavily into DND and a heap of other paper based RPG like Star wars, Vampire Masquerade and a few others that some made themselves. I was only 12-13 when i use to play it so I couldnt fully appriciate it as I wasnt intellectual enough but it was still dam fun!! . Sadly though, the group moved on and people got jobs and kids and what not so it died in the butt :upset:

Wow, I just realised that I still got some of my old character sheets and my brothers "dungeon master" Bag full of Rpg books/rules. :D

3. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I used to play it up until a couple years back. Some of the gang got married and started popping out kids. So it was put on hold indefinitely. :(

4. Ricardo

Ricardo Member

22 years ago I played the original red basic edition ....... was great fun

Remember 'The Caves of Chaos'

5. cassius

cassius Member

Love the D&D, I know its not quiet the same but play D&D online. 14.95 a month US.

As previously mentioned, all of us that use to play pen and paper have grown up, married and have kids, and this is a way online we can all log on when we have spare time and play in RAIDs and have our own grps and venture through the cities with our owm barbarians, mages, paladans, fighters, clerics etc.

Cheers
    Clay

6. Glock

Glock Member

Had a brief flirtation not that long ago (2-3 years) in highschool, kinda ran aground 'cause none of us were that good at DMing. :lol:

7. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Used to play back when I was in high school.

AD&D, GURPS, Cyberpunk, Car Wars... quite a few things.

I still have my old 2nd Edition AD&D rule books in a bookshelf at home.

Occasionally I still whip out the old Talisman board game and play that with some mates. I don't think I've ever finished a Talisman game...

8. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Used to play, played heaps for different RPGs, can't find a group locally :(

9. Ricardo

Ricardo Member

Never tried D&D Online (DDO) but spent 18 months playing WoW (World of Warcraft) and now six months playing LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online). I gota say LOTRO is great if your a Tolkien fan. But the Friday nights with rulebook, graph paper, pencil and beer was great fun. I would love to start a basic or 1st Edition (The Cavalier was the Best!!!) game up again.

BTW I have well over 100 Dragon mags from the early day in great condition store away in my garage. Should check them out again.

10. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Yeah, I have to shamefully admit, I was the same. Owned the basic edition, then the blue one (whatever that was called) and moved on to the advanced edition (set of hardbound books). Pretty much stopped playing it after that. I helped start a club in Melbourne (ESP) and played a shitload of car wars.

Then I grew up ;)

11. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Lies! Stop trying to convince yourself that you have e-street-cred by denying your nerdiness :p

12. TRAG!C

TRAG!C Member

I played 2nd addition back in highschool. It was much fun, we had a pretty dam good DM aswell :)

Althou one of the best parts was collecting and painting miniatures :)

13. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

NEEEEEEERD!!

Oh wait... ;)

Played 1st and 2nd Edition. Trag!c was sometimes invited.

14. QuakeDude

Heh - Thanks. It was only a few years ago that I emailed Steve Jackson to ask permission to build a web-based online version of Car Wars.. purely because I had so much fun playing it back in 'the day'.

I think we were the only club in Melbourne that had a matchbox-car scale modular track for conventions. Modifying matchbox cars to add turrets and armour.. it was serious fun. Some of the guys even got to play in the states from memory.. it was pretty serious stuff. :Paranoid:

15. TRAG!C

TRAG!C Member

You just fear my fighter/mage elf :p

16. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

That sounds awesome, I loved Car Wars too. Too many decent games begging for a conversion, MechWarrior needs a revival!!!

17. sport billy

sport billy Member

Yeah, I played a bit in High School (AD&D 2nd Edition) but from memory only a couple of times (wow 10 years ago). Apparently it actually took time to do things, so a good part of the group (think we had 6 guys in the beginning) decided that there were other things to do in life - like study and stuff.

I still cry a little when I remember DDO - a sad state of affairs this game turned out to be. Had a lot of potential, but was restricted too heavily to one time levels and team based play. Ah well, maybe someone will redo it one day, or they'll repair the damage. My copy of the game is still sitting on the shelf waiting for the day :(

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  18. QuakeDude

yeah, it was freakin great. It was funny, I emailed Steve Jackson about it, and after a few conversations I came to realise that this guy gets litterally hundreads of similar requests from fans, all wanting to do something about reviving it. Its the perfect online game - get a bunch of guys together (virtually) and knock out a game within 2-3 hours). Add teamspeak and you're in heaven :lol:

19. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

I always found Car Wars to be too slow a game. 5km/h speed increase every second - that in itself wasn't too much of a problem - the problem was that there were 10 phases within a second... and each phase took about 10 minutes to complete because we had some 5'ish people playing it. An afternoon after school playing for about an hour and a half then only gave us 2 or 3 seconds of the game.

Car Wars would be a fun game to play online. The zones in the game are actually quite fun. I wonder if the computer game make could allow you to custom design your own cars to the weight distributions and everything that you had when playing pen and paper.

Half the fun I had when playing Car Wars was literally the pure design of the cars!

20. QuakeDude

I think our biggest game was with about 12 people and took a grand total of about 60 seconds of game time - mind you, it took all day to get that far :lol:

The game does pick up speed as the people playing it become more familiar, as we found that people we pre-calculating alot of their moves, and spending a fair bit of time consulting the rules to determine what they can do and what they can't.

That way I had the game speced, the Server would take care of calculating the rules and basically pass the client a choice of available and valid moves/options, which removes the ability to cheat, and speeds up the game itself (as in you don't spend as much time mucking around chasing up rules). There is no reason why you couldn't do fully detailed customisation, as the rules themselves were so good, they covered pretty much everything you needed to know.

I think it could be a great online game, I just need to pull finger and actually do something about the spec I put together. :rolleyes:

Having said that, you've motivated me a little more ;)