1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

E-Mail Encryption...

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Nyarghnia, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Nyarghnia

Nyarghnia (Taking a Break)

Hi All,

I'm in a debate with the CIO of a large transaction provider who basically thinks i'm a dickhead..(it's a long list of people who think i'm a dickhead).

They have a need to send e-mails in an encrypted format, we've got exchange 2003 (going to 2010 shortly).

Now I'm not an 'expert' on MS Exchange but i'm pretty sure we could set up a fair dinkum purchased certificate, and then choose the 'encrypt mail' button when sending mail, instead.. we're stuck with this bloody CICSO webmail rubbish which is pissing me off big time.

I'm assuming that you'd put in a passphrase that they would use to install it and whenever they got one of these encrypted e-mails it could be decrypted. I'm sure that there's a way to do this as the Exchange server level.

So, what do you people do when you need to send e-mails which are encrypted?

-NyarghNia

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  2. NSanity

NSanity Member

Ironport offers it in their Mail filtering device.

At Dept of Finance we had dedicated devices doing it (as well as filters not sending out any classified emails outside of the government protected network).

Outlook plug as well to select the classification of each message.

This was all with an Exchange 03 backend about 4 years ago.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

You're thinking of S/MIME, which Outlook/Exchange support. The downside is everyone needs a public/private key pair, which means encryption will work within your organisation, but not to external parties if they don't also have S/MIME set up, and a way to securely share keys (without tampering).

PGP shares the same issue - all parties who need to read the encrypted email need public/private key pairs, and the public keys need to be shared in a trusted fashion (i.e.: proven to not be tampered with).

If you want to encrypt email out to external groups who have nothing in place, then you'll need the sort of system IronPort and others offer, where they store emails at a gateway somewhere, and people are forced to log in with pre-provided credentials to read the contents of the email via a HTTPS connection.

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

5. OP
    OP
    Nyarghnia

Nyarghnia (Taking a Break)

Thanks for the info guys.

-NyarghNia

6. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

now that doesn't sound like a stupid government network that no know quite knows why they are on it(forced) except for the people maintaining it :lol:

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Some places use mandatory TLS to "tick the box" for email crypto.

There's obvious issues with that from a technical standpoint, but sometimes it's enough to cover compliance needs.

8. azron

azron Member

Sophos Safeguard Mail Gateway does this.

Messages which a triggered to be encrypted are sent to the user in a PDF file, with the original email within the PDF which has been AES encrypted.

The recipient can nominate a password to decrypt the message (which happens if the receipient has never acccepted a message before). The sending MTA can specify a password, sent back to the original sender which can be conveyed via phone (hopefully not email). You can even integrate it with third party authentication systems.

Let me know if you want any additional info.

9. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

with the down side being having routers in your gateway that are inpath but you dont control and you dont know exactly what is and isn't being routed over it.

10. narkotix

narkotix Member

easier said than done...its hard enough convincing govt about attestation....let alone data classification....let alone email classification/encryption!