1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

EA Battlefield 6 (Battlefield 2042)

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Rod M, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

FAQ has dates/times in UTC:
    https://www.ea.com/games/battlefield/battlefield-2042/faq

When is the Open Beta available?
    Pre-load begins on October 5 (at 07:00 UTC on all platforms), but not everyone will be able to access the Open Beta at the same time. Early access is available October 6–7 (start playing at 07:00 UTC all platforms on 10/06) for anyone who has pre-ordered Battlefield 2042 or is an EA Play member. General access begins on October 8 (at 07:00 UTC on all platforms), at which point anyone can join the fight.

mAJORD likes this.
  2. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Closing is Sun Oct 10 at 7:00 UTC which is 6pm Sunday.

3. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Jeez - the performance of the game is a big worry. From early reporters from content creators who have played the BETA:

2080 Ti + 3950X: 80-90FPS @ 1080p on High (not Ultra) - This source said he was getting 120+ on Ultra in BFV @ 1080p
    3080 + 3950X: 120FPS @ 1440p on Medium - This source said he was getting 200+ on Ultra in BFV @ 1440p

Wowsers. That is worrying.

4. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Why do people shit themselves at not being able to run everything on ultra on release? I'm all for it if it pushes some graphical boundaries and looks amazing, we can tune settings down now for frames and crank them in all their glory for 4k120 at the next gpu release. BFV was released 3 years ago, this game should be more demanding. There's also dlss support so we'll have to see how it all plays out at release.

t8y and jpw007 like this.
  5. jpw007

jpw007 Member

It sounds like we're finally returning to the glory days of PC gaming when you actually needed to upgrade occasionally. I'm sure if it's the case, even high will be like ultra or very high on previous titles, etc, so it's hardly like turning down the graphics will be bad or yield worse graphics than the previous games.

jjjc_93 likes this.
  6. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

I still find it a bit concerning that a flagship GPU that released last year cannot sustain 100fps at 1440p with at least High settings. The 2080Ti makes sense. However, the 3080 user he had to take it down to medium to get over 100fps. That's a big red flag, particularly when all reports say that the graphics aren't massively improved over BFV. Let's hope the delay was to work on optimisation and to work alongside nvidia and amd to improve drivers.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  7. jpw007

jpw007 Member

No different to Crysis or Cyperpunk?

Except it's closer to Crysis in that there's big more open world to see, where as CP dense cities, so similar but different.

But as you're aware it's also in Beta, so more tuning to come.

8. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Cyberpunk is a good example - but even a 3080 can manage over 100fps on Ultra @ 1440p in that title.

Although BF2042 is a slightly more updated engine that BFV, I would have assumed a 3080 with a 16 core CPU would be able to handle 100fps @ 1440p on ultra. Sure, it's beta - but release is a month away, I can't see them making massive changes. I just think they have crammed a lot onto the screen, and with DICE working from home, it's been difficult to optimise.

9. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Yeah, it's a pretty shit time to be developing such a large game. I'm genuinely expecting the game to look pretty good even on medium. I don't recall any BF game looking crap on lower settings tbh

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Most games are rarely "optimised" in the way most people think where you improve performance with no downside, and it especially won't happen for a long term engine like Frostbite.

The performance people are getting is just what it takes unless there is a bug like rendering something nobody can see.

11. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

I couldn't get near 100 FPS without using DLSS on Cyberpunk with a 3080 & 9900k. It also had a massive memory/performance leak that degraded performance so much it had to be restarted every few hours to get the FPS back. 120FPS @ 1440p on Medium will probably look fine in action, and most people who take performance in a multiplayer game seriously will end up tweaking things down to that level for game reasons.

BF5 is 3 year old game already and these maps are massive. Orbital looks easily as big as Firestorm, if not larger, and we don't know if the beta version is a medium size version for a lower player count.

Graphics are getting to the point where for me I can barely tell the difference between medium with some anti-aliasing vs ultra big dick mode with multispectral temporal shadowrealm textures.

My last point would be that going up in resolution increases the amount of pixels to push. 1080p is 2.07 million. 2560x1440 is 3.6 million which is just under double. When you get to large ultrawides & then 4k monitors you're pushing 4x as much as a 1080p screen. That is a significant jump even with new GPUs. Plus people want to drive these big screens at high FPS (my 38" UW can go up to 175hz which is mental).

12. asho444

asho444 Member

Remember if you preorder with credit card on origin they don't actually charge you until 7 days before release!

13. randomman

randomman Member

Too true. A decade ago it was the difference between a potato and a diamond. These days it's a zirconia and a diamond. Good enough that I can't tell the difference with my naked eye.

I'm actually very impressed with how my 4GB RX580 copes with 3440 x 1440. That said I'm normally a few years behind the AAA graphics games these days. I wonder whether it'll be BF6 or Back 4 Blood that'll make me upgrade, I'm guessing the former.

macktheknife likes this.
  14. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Pre-load is up.

You can use the console (tilde then type UI.DrawEnable 1 or 0 to switch between) to go into a little loading area thing you can noclip around. Not much to see or do and you're just noclipping around.

bf1.jpg
    bf22.jpg
    bf33.jpg
    I believe these get squished by the forum so they're not full size.

aphexer likes this.
  15. trevor68

trevor68 Member

That's weird, can't see it anywhere in Origin?

16. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Origin seems to have a few issues for it showing up there.

17. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Figures, ah well maybe tomorrow (or never).

18. trevor68

trevor68 Member

19. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Interested to see how the server load is this afternoon... I think there are so many people keen to get into the game, that I'm hoping they have adequate servers up.

A DICE rep has tweeted that the BETA is already a few months old - so a lot of work has been done to the main game from the BETA.

There are also new Nvidia and AMD drivers out for support for the Beta.

20. rthy

rthy Member

downloading now :3

is the beta crossplay/crossgen?

Also, dont see any new drivers for nvidia? (472.12 - 20/9/2021)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021