1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

EA Battlefield 6 (Battlefield 2042)

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Rod M, Nov 7, 2020.

1. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Played a full game.

Positives: Graphics are really, really good. I was able to get Ultra @ 1440p to around 100-110fps on my 6800XT. For some reason dropping it to High lowered the FPS? My Auto was 'Max Fidelity' anyway, which was Ultra. Map and game-play feels good. I like the changing attachments on the fly too.
    Negatives: UI is very clunky. Really different from BF1 and BFV. Will take some getting used to... It does feel clunky. Definitely not as smooth as BFV. No server browser, no FSR or DLSS. Scorecard is gone - really only shows your squad now. Map was a little lack luster - some huge open spaces.

So far 3.5/5 for me. Will need to play a few more games to really capture it.

The dev saying this build is a few months old hopefully means the actual build that they're currently working on has improved some of those negatives - I know UI/UX is being improved over the beta already (UI dev tweeted it)

rthy likes this.
  2. rthy

rthy Member

whats the cheapest bf2042 going around?
    Jbhifi is $69 std edition
    $89 on steam

gold edition for $119 on steam, probably get this version

3. asho444

asho444 Member

Actually was quite enjoyable, definitely felt like a beta so hopefully the final thing is more polished.

I wonder how much the season passes will cost, as 69 at jb and if each season is $10 you still end up better off than the special edition

the_antipop likes this.
  4. dead_man

dead_man Member

tried it, for some reason the game detect my mouse button was being held down and just fired by itself
    5700xt @ 3440x1440 was reporting 80~ FPS but seemed to get lag/stuttering constantly

turned it off as i could not be bothered trying to sort it out. will try again on friday night

5. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

There is way too much air vehicles in this map. Jesus christ I'm sometimes getting hit by 5 of them at once. And your stingers are trash.

6. scips

scips Member

I wish your robopuppy would just run to where you respawn, need a robokitty so you can do robo milo & otis.

7. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Amazon is $62

8. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

maybe this is AMD optimised more but my FPS felt pretty shit even on medium @ 1440 with 2080ti, the in game-fps counter is wrong for sure, way to high..

Gamewise, I am on the fence.. was parts I liked, parts I didnt.. feels incomplete.

UI sux, menu sux.. holding tab for scoreboard sux lots..

Game is pretty enough, some parts lacking though. Sound is pretty good.. the constant call-outs are bit lame..

I like changing gun on the fly crysis style!

Gunplay feels nice enough but took alot of tweaking to get my aim and aim-down-sights right.. no idea why they messed that up so much.

Biggest complaint: I really felt like I wasnt a part of the battle and it was confusing, some UI improvements and more time with that should fix that though.

Its a meh/10 and for comparison I was much more impressed with BFV beta it was slicker and more fun..

9. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

The game stutters quite alot.. maybe the settings are too high? I hover around 60fps @ 4k on Ultra but its almost unplayable. The UI is very.. well its completely different, seriously don't like it. No server browser? Okay that's a shocking idea. Although this is Beta and Battlefield Beta's have always been shocking so it might get sorted.. but it also feels like they are trying to revamp way too much

walker_2003 likes this.
  10. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Hey guys you remember that annoying bunny hopping everyone complained about and how it wasnt realistic. Don't worry we fixed that... with stupid unrealistic sliding :smfh:

Doritos doritos doritos, once you pop you cant hop.

walker_2003 likes this.
  11. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Pretty bad perf..

Hopefully better by release.

12. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

\

another one.

13. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

how are you guys turning on fps in game? Nvidia?

14. asho444

asho444 Member

well for a normal reference,
    I have a 1080 and a ryzen 3600 on a 3440x1440 screen and on medium presets i get about 50-70fps

15. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Doesn't seem to be any consistency with performance reporting. Literally all over the place as last post and video above that are a good e.g of.

~100fps at 1080p on a 3080ti points to a bottleneck somewhere possibly CPU related.

Someone else mentioned a performance increase going medium to ultra

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    walker_2003 likes this.
  16. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Msi afterburner only way it seems.

That sounds a bit optimistic. Using MSI afterburner?

17. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I used the steam overlay

18. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

In regard to performance - it definitely gets better after a few games and the map has cached itself. I saw this on Reddit, and it's true. My FPS went from 80-95ish at 1440p ultra to 110-120fps on the same settings after 2 games. Got the beta loaded on an SSD.

Now - after reading opinions on Reddit, Facebook and here - I think this game is a clear indication of how game development definitely isn't suited to working from home.
    I was involved in the development of ArmA 3 as a military consultant. Downloading the builds of that game every few hours, as the devs updated it from Prague, was a huge strain on my internet. They updated one model, and it was another 250mb download. Thankfully then, all the devs were in one office, with the central build connected to all their work pc's via 10gbit ethernet. I'd assume that is the same with DICE. So it made it easy for Sally and Bob to work on UI and when finished, the build was automatically updated on everyone's machines, so then Geoff and Sam quickly tested it. Seamless. Let alone daily meetings with each team in one room where they could discuss issues, whiteboard ideas etc.
    We know that the majority of DICE employees are working from home. So not only are they trying to download various aspects of the build from other developers, but they also need to upload their edits. So things can definitely take a lot longer to do, and get lost in communication. I can see how this could potentially delay game development massively. Let alone all meetings being over Zoom or emails. All this combined, as well as over 3 studios working on the one game, has impeded its development cycle.

I have worked from home as a teacher, and can safely say that working from home massively impacted my professional capability - particularly in regard to meetings.

walker_2003, Dr Evil and mAJORD like this.
  19. asho444

asho444 Member

I was using the origin ingame client, afterburner overlay didn't work, I light try the nvidia one tonight

20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Sounds like a bug. There is nothing I could see that would be intensive for memory or the SSD that you would need to play two games for it to be cached, my SSD wasn't working hard when I played and your theory should mean that standing still should give you a 30-40fps boost as very little will be streaming in.

If I was to guess I would say its some issues they've yet to fix with the new 128 player count.