1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

EA Battlefield 6 (Battlefield 2042)

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Rod M, Nov 7, 2020.

1. lxboston

lxboston Member

KD Ratio is pretty meaningless in this game, it's not really a representation of how good you are. Eg you get blown up by a Wildcat and Littlebird every few minutes sometimes and just destroys your KD as an infantry player.

2. t8y

t8y Member

...its right there, middle left, under player stats? kills-assists-deaths

can't see other (edit: individual) players k/d though, if that was what you guys meant. only team based stats

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  3. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Battlefield is one of the only games where KD does actually matter.

Every death is a lost ticket, the only way to offset a high amount of deaths is to capture points.

The scoreboard is important as you can see your contribution and compare it to others on your team.

The weird bubble that 2042 created was a bad idea as it tells bad players there is nothing wrong with their lack of contribution of constant deaths.

4. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

This isn't the first Battlefield game with inf and vehicle whores mixed together blowing out KDRs, there are always ways for more experienced players to avoid being smashed by vehicles.

Apart from every death means one less ticket, seeing someone topping the scoreboard with 50 kills and 0 deaths is usually a red flag that many players have usually looked for in the past.
    Also, KDR of squadmates you can quickly assess what type of squad they are and how together they are playing or solo sniping/jet flying etc.

Regardless, it's not rocket science that players want the same data as they always have had like every game before. Hiding player deaths (and even total kills in the end-round screens currently) of other players just screams attempts at being "progressive" to not shame bad contributors in a multiplayer competitive team game.. and it's nonsense.

5. RamboKazoo

RamboKazoo Member

KD is important in every FPS that exists, if you think otherwise, well, your just wrong. Even in games like tarkov where you can stat pad with PVE kills, KD is still a very important thing. Just because there are more ways to die in BF doesnt mean K/D doesnt matter. And well, it is a DIRECT correlation to "how good you are".

If someone has k.d of 30 and someone has a kd of 5, one of those players IS better than the other, regardless of the game.

walker_2003 likes this.
  6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

No way.

There are plenty of games where deaths have no downside besides a spawn timer.

Dying means you can change class, get full ammo, change spawn location, you don't have to run back to X point, some games have certain special elements that are replenished on respawn, the benefits go on and on.

I've definitely been in situations where I've risked my life for doing something, and done it repeatedly to win the game for my team. I dislike this though, I like to play games where deaths matter.

7. RamboKazoo

RamboKazoo Member

Yeah, all that is right. But the KD is still gonna be important in that game, Most games will punish you for dying, even if it means you get to switch classes or do something else upon death. Its not a positive nor should it be a tactic to win games tbh. Ive not really been in a match and thought " im gonna suicide or run in and die for the sake of switching weapons or classes ". If my team mate did that ide be confused unless the game was SPECIFCALLY designed to favor you dying over n over.

8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Its actually pretty common....

Plenty of games that either

1. Penalise suicide compared to dying (many games don't even have suicide as an option)

2. are very class based and penalise you for not changing classes asap (Overwatch for example)

Why would deaths matter?

If they have the top kills, assists, and whatever for the team, but the most deaths, whats the problem? You wouldn't take deaths into account because deaths in those game don't decide if you win or lose.

lxboston likes this.
  9. RamboKazoo

RamboKazoo Member

You are very wrong, But ive played Overwatch since pre season 1, you used a bad example. Obviously im reffering to proper ranked gameplay not arcade or throw away quickplay games.

#1 - Class changes are not a thing in overwatch anymore anyway, if you pick tank, dps , or healer, you are stuck on that role until game end ( unless queing for open que, which no one does because its a DEAD mode ). dying wont let you switch classes. You can change heroes IN your current class though, which is fair for countering enemy picks.

#2 - Overwatch DIRECTLY penalises you for dying, Let me explain why.

You dying FEEDS the enemy ult charge. ( ults win games )
    You dying ( for any reason ) makes the fight a 5v6
    A 5v6 means you team is going to lose the fight and COULD lose the game because of your one single death ( i explain below WHY you will lose the fight )
    You die and are now are running from spawn back to the fight, then when you finally get from spawn back to your team, guess what, your team is losing the fight, because its a 5v6 until you get back, your death and hero swap has just cost you the Point, Or the game.

In this situation the ONLY thing that is going to save you is not another hero swap or class change, what will save your game in that situation is someone who is GOOD at the game that can CARRY the fight while the people dying and swapping heroes run back to the fight, the only people who can carry in most fps, overwatch for example are most likely good players with good KD. In overwatch aim is not KING, but NOT DYING is VERY VERY close to KING, because not dying means you are grouped with your team and the team fights are even.

I actually see this a lot in my OW matches, our DPS is getting hard countered and decides to swap, so the enemy swaps to counter him again, and again, and he has now switched heroes and died 30 times. Him switching heroes was not the correct logic in the first place, and COSTS us the match.

I think ive ranted before about what king is in overwatch, but i dont wanna spam this thread with it.

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

By class change I meant character change.

There is a huge difference in characters and what they offer, and what they counter on the enemy team.

You are making some incorrect assumptions.

You assume that any character combination can win Overwatch, it can't, its very character dependent.

You assume that the person dying isn't doing so at the best time.

For example you use your ulti, your team does a big push, it fails, you live, you try and take out as many of the enemy as possible until you die.

While yes you feed some ulti, you have the huge advantage of countering an enemy character who will then have to change to counter you.

The person swapping has to look at the game type, the respawn time vs the enemy, and the team counters.

You never swap characters for one enemy, because that implies you are effective against the rest of the team but are swapping anyway.

If you manage to swap characters and most or all the team changes characters, you have succeeded in disrupting the enemy anyway.

11. RamboKazoo

RamboKazoo Member

Wrong on #1 .
    Any combination CAN win, The hero pick doesn't win the game its how good you are at your pick, this is why in overwatch a ONE TRICK will have higher winrate and KD than someone who has a hero pool of 30. Im a 1 trick Hanzo, if im NOT playing hanzo and im getting rekt, i wont bother analyzing which hero i should go to counter the enemy dps, i will just go to my 1 trick hero because a hanzo with 3k hours is always going to win against someone switching heroes every 5 minutes and has his hours spread over 30 different heroes.

Obviously if im up against another 1 trick that has thousands of hours more than me on the single hero that they are playing then im in trouble, but again in that situation a counter or hero switch is not going to help you, you are just getting outplayed due to skill and game sense difference.

Wrong on #2.
    The situation where you ult and still lose the fight is NOT where you KEEP fighting, its where you get away from the fight and regroup with your now dead team.

Example : You dragon ult, it misses entire enemy team, enemy team counters with grav and their own dragon and kills 5 of your team mates and you are left alive, this is not where you just mindlessly take a 1v6 fight for the sake of killing 1 of them because killing 1 of them in that situation doesn't help you in any way shape or form, i repeat, you lost the fight, there is no point for you to keep fighting UNLESS you can kill ALL 6 enemies, and thats not going to happen, esspecially for a player who thinks his KD doesn't matter. Your just FEEDING at that poin, again with nothing to gain.

Not sure what you mean by not dying at the best time, Purposely dying for the sake of switching for a counter is not how you play overwatch. there is no best time to die in overwatch. If you DO die, of course go for a counter switch, But in higher ranks the better player regardless of the hero pick , is going to win.

Lets say im Pharah, an easy counter against me would be Widow as she only needs to shoot my head once for me to die. In that situation most people would get OFF pharah, instead of thinking about things like, maybe i just avoid widow, i dont fly in her line of site at all for the whole game and thats going to mentally trigger her, i go for the flank spank and even SOLO ult the widow, the pharah is no longer being countered by the widow not because pharah is a good pick against widow but because the pharah is a better player who i guarantee will have a higher KD than the widow.

This is the last ill post about overwatch in this thread cause its probably gonna piss some people off. But i am curious as to who taught you how to play overwatch as your logic about the game is 100% backwards and flawed in every way lol.

12. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You are completely ignoring how Overwatch was created. its literally created around people changing characters, certain characters being effective against others, etc.

Trying to make a bunch of specific scenarios doesn't change that.

Which will lose you the fight if the character you play is being completely countered.

For example playing road hog and the enemy team has 3 three shields etc.

13. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Bloke on my ignore list vs elitists bloke ive never interacted with... Who do I agree with here...

"KD Is important in every FPS game". I think this is wrong, is it an indicator of how good you are? Generally yes (there are some nuances to this but as a general concept sure). Is it important? That depends what you are looking to get out of the game and where you get your enjoyment. If your enjoyment is only had when you shit all over people and top servers etc, sure, if you enjoy the actual gameplay loop regardless of outcome? then its not that important....

Also your tarkov point can be horribly wrong, You could rat run for a whole wipe killing a couple of scavs avoiding PMCs and get a high KD and Survival rate. Or you could chase PVP and have much lower of both, you would still probably end up the better tarkov player.

Anyway bit of a ridiculous argument, if your KD is important you can see it clearly on the board, other people shouldn't matter to you ;)

14. rthy

rthy Member

KD is only important to the player.
    Personally, I prefto have a positive kd.

And generally when im on a team with higher kd, we would win.

15. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I don't know why it needs debating.. just put it the damn thing on there! , it's been there since forever, it's desired by xx% of players. Same with Ping.. why the hell - that was acutally there before too i'm pretty sure. Instead they've decided people want to see everyone's revives, and crap instead , that nobody asked for. Don't they get it?

And why is it such a cluster? with Ribbon progression crap on there , that again no one asked for - it's not an end of round stats page after all. So now between that, and the inclusion of stats no one wanted there's no room to have split column scoreboard.. 128 players, and one column - are they high?

16. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Both BF1 & BFV have more players on steam as I type this..BFV 13k, BF2042 4k

Go play those for a much much better experience.

KD in BF isnt a big deal I remember seeing people with overall KD's over 20 with thousands of kills.. all tanks/jets etc.

17. lxboston

lxboston Member

The biggest impact on tickets is capping flags, and deaths are sometimes apart of successfully doing that well.

I played a lot of BF5, not much of the earlier versions since BF2 but I barely died from a vehicle in BF5. The maps make them so much easier to ambush and they only took a few hits from a PIAT at the right angle. Plus everyone just gave up on non infantry maps and the community servers that were left largely were more infantry maps.

Either or they are missing on the priorities and that is to fix squad play.

They really need to improve this and I thought this would be next, I had so many more games in BF5 where we actually worked as squads with randoms and even talked and got satisfaction out of winning and capping flags, this game is just one big solo Rambo mission or half the time I find myself working better with people in other squads.

18. lxboston

lxboston Member

It's a complete misrepresentation half the time, especially in battlefield. Ive played so many games with streamers and pro pliars on the other team and they end up losing? Why? Because they are just obsessed with farming and KD. I will happily run with a slightly higher Death ratio and actually try to achieve the team goals of Conquest eg capping, taking out tanks and vehicles and half the other shit that actually wins the maps any day over the precious "GOTTA HAVE THE BEST KD IN THE WORLD" people who literally just go farm hallways of people etc they can ambush with SMGs and half the time contribute nothing to the team winning. Capping flags contributes way more to tickets than a high KD.

19. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

What if one person has a k/d of 3.0 who only uses infantry and one is 4.0 who only uses tanks. Is the tank player better even though the 3.0 k/d could outgun them constantly in infantry fights? or is the tank player still better as he finds way into tanks?

I personally am more impressed by those who get high k/d outside vehicles.

lxboston likes this.
  20. RamboKazoo

RamboKazoo Member

wait why would they NOT show ping lmao wtf... that seems very specific, or maybe there is a console command to show your ping instead and so they just didn't bother adding it to scoreboard.

/officialendofmetryingtoconvinceacasualheiswrong

back to BF2042..

this video game me a thousand reasons to avoid this game lmao. it looks and sounds like a game that should be free to play.

the ONE and only thing in that video that is GOOD about the game is the music at 11.40, damn i miss loading up old BF and hearing that tune, one of the only games where i didn't completely mute the menu and loading music.

walker_2003 likes this.