Earbud recommendations Commute and Work.

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DUS x SSJ4 x, Sep 14, 2017.

1. DUS x SSJ4 x

DUS x SSJ4 x Member

Looking for Earbud recommendations.

They will be used for my daily commute on the train and in an office environment, also travelling ie. flying etc.

- Looking to keep under the $100 mark. $50 would be a sweet spot.
    - Big fan of my Audio technica a900x Cans, so if anyone has bud suggestions with a similar sound signature lmk. (obviously I have been looking into AT buds myself)
    - Noise cancelling isnt needed, but depending on the buds I am open to it.
    - Must have phone functionality, as I will be using it with my phone alot.
    - Not against budget options if they are decent.
    - no blue tooth please, need to be able to use it with anything that has a jack.

So far I have found 3 that look decent to me.

http://audio-technica.com.au/products/ath-anc33is/

http://audio-technica.com.au/products/ath-ck330is/

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/182425854493?chn=ps&dispItem=1

The Xiaomi's have gotten my interest because they seem really popular on oz bargains and youtube and are pretty cheap. And I trust audio technica for quality, price and reliability.

What say you?!?!

2. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

3. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

I have a pair of in-ear buds from Sennheiser. I think they might be the CX300. About 8 years old now. Though I'm sure they have comparable ones now.

https://en-au.sennheiser.com/earphones-cx-1-00
    https://en-au.sennheiser.com/earphones-headset-smart-phones-cx-275s
    https://en-au.sennheiser.com/in-ear-headphones-cx-3-00

I use with iphone when I want complete isolation (on a plane for example)
    They have good sound and bass response for what they are, sound much better than the apple earpods (which I use daily at the office since people annoyingly actually want my attention :rolleyes: :D )

4. mtoti

mtoti Member

5. OP
    OP
    DUS x SSJ4 x

DUS x SSJ4 x Member

Interesting looking. Strange it says they have a mic, but the plug is a 2 pole not a 3 pole. Have you got any experience comparing these to the Xiaomi range? same price point really.

I do enjoy Sennheisers balance. I had a pair of buds just like the ones you linked in high school that I loved, but its so love ago that it may be a different story now.

Xiaomi do get alot of positive reviews. However I do worry that alot of it is people just coming from stock buds and thinking they are amazing. But I am starting to lean more and more to them. My trust of Audio Technica is whats keeping me on the fence atm.

6. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Mines got a TRS connector but I'm pretty sure I've seen pics with TRRS and inline controls.

I haven't heard Xiamoi but I've heard a lot of expensive IEMS and KZ are good. Real good.

7. OP
    OP
    DUS x SSJ4 x

DUS x SSJ4 x Member

Ok so I think I have narrowed it down.

1. $34.4 Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Newest-X...842326&hash=item1ecb590b4d:g:fVcAAOSwpHFZaFyj

2. $100 Audio Technica CKR50is

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/au...dphones-with-inline-mic-control-black-ac06236

3. $82 Sennheiser Momentums 2.0

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sennheis...462578?hash=item41ca9257b2:g:7b4AAOSwqVBZaPGG

Atm I am leaning toward the Xiaomi's, the audio technicas are 3x the price and Sennheisers are more than double. From all reports the Xiaomi's are great, and since its been a while since I've used earbuds regularly I think some entry level buds until my tastes are a bit more established would be a good idea.

If anyone has a pair thats in say the 40-60 range I should check out let me know.

8. FNQer

FNQer Member

$82 Sennheiser Momentums 2.0

i think I may have bought from there....

now, its my baseline standard.... RRP $150 elsewhere.... very happy with 'em.

CX300ii doesn't compare with these Momentums 2.0 - and I used to love CX300ii. greater details apparent on Momentums and CX300ii is very muddled lower end/bass.

haven't heard the other 2 you highlighted....

9. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

I spend a lot of time with earbuds in, and my preference is the low end Sony & Phillips ones. You can usually get them for $20-30 either due to a JB HiFi deal or a price-match.

I've had Audiofly, Sennheiser (pre-momentum $80 ones), Marley, etc - and the things I've noticed are most important for me are:

Small earbud housing so they don't stick out too far and are comfortable
    Easy to use microphone control
    Don't look to silly in a workplace
    Ideally decent cable quality
    Cheap - since they usually last ~6 months max before a cable goes

10. OP
    OP
    DUS x SSJ4 x

DUS x SSJ4 x Member

Thanks for the input guys. Ended up picking up the Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD's.

See how they go. Thinking about using a custom earplug kit to make custom earbuds. See a few cool how toos around.

11. FNQer

FNQer Member

what are they like, first impressions?

12. OP
    OP
    DUS x SSJ4 x

DUS x SSJ4 x Member

THey havent arrived yet. I will update the thread when they do, nothing worse then a thread with no conclusion.

Problem is I have nothing to base them off other than stock ear buds and far far more expensive cans haha. But I have a pretty good ear so although I wont be able to compare them to others Ill be able to give a good break down of how they sound.

13. OP
    OP
    DUS x SSJ4 x

DUS x SSJ4 x Member

Ok so the earbuds arrived.

Overall. Packaging was pretty good, the fit of everything was super tight it was actually kinda difficult getting it open. But the buds were secured safely deep inside the box in its own rubber mould which is encased in a hard plastic case.

I wouldnt have any worries about these getting damaged in shipping.

Fit and finish is good. Good is the perfect word. There are machine marks on some of the metal and the glossy plastic kinda looked used. Almost thought they were returned stock...

My expectations were not high in this area. Any big brand ear buds I saw even in the $100+ range were all plastic, these have mostly metal even the control remote.

You get 4 sets of ear buds too, which is nice.

Onto the sound.

TBH. I wasnt all that impressed, I was kinda dissapointed. Reviews had talked about how "balanced" they were, not bass heavy and instrument separation was good. Well they arent balanced and are bass heavy and instrument seperation isnt all that good either.

Maybe I am too used to my Audio Technica a900x's. Which is a pretty unfair comparison. Audiophile grade cans from a big brand that cost a few hundred dollars more. Which have all of the above in spades.

However here are some + and -'s

- Bass Heavy.
    - Treble and Mid's do not have alot of cut.
    - Instrument separation can be drowned by overpowering bass.

+ Despite the extra bass its not woofy, its got boom to it. I wouldnt say the bass is tight, but it doesnt flub out either.
    + Sound doesnt distort at max volume. I could happily pump it to max and it sounds exactly as it does at 50% just louder.
    + Not very fatiguing to the ears, so should be good for long listens.

Anyway I have only spent about an hour with them so far. They are a fair jump from stock buds you get with phones. But without listening to big brand buds in similar or higher price ranges I cannot say if they are truly worth the price.

Ill report back after a few weeks so my ears can get used to them. But atm I'd give them a 6/10. They get the job done and sound pretty good, while having solid construction and look fantastic.

14. fcyde

fcyde Member

Ive had a lot of sub $100 headphones. More than 30+

Best ive come across are Hifiman RE-400, Ultimate Ears 600, Shure SE215, Brainwavz M2.

The RE-400s would be my pick for sound quality, it rivals my $600 Shure SE535s - build quality is a little hit and miss though. UE600s are good balance between sound quality/build quality, but a bit hard to find these days.

15. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

Ummm why not buy 5 $600 pairs? What are you doing to these poor headphones? :Paranoid:

16. fcyde

fcyde Member

I collect. There is no one perfect headphone that pairs well with all genres of music.

I have had 5 $600+ headphones in the past. And a couple $1000+

17. Turbine

Turbine Member

bit late...but highly recommend Vsonic GR02

http://headphones.com.au/product/vsonic-gr02-ear-headphones/

I've been using the previous version to these (VSonic R02 Pro II) for the last 8 years and never had any issues.

Bought the GR02 for my Girlfriend after continuous issues with Audiofly and other brands in the $50-$100 range.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  18. OP
    OP
    DUS x SSJ4 x

DUS x SSJ4 x Member

Earbud guru rught here^^

Thanks m8 ill look into them.

Balance, accuracy and seperation are my looked for qualities.
    Thx dude.

[​IMG]

Had a play with the eq in my music player. Managed to yake the blanket off the sound. Pretty night and day.

Sorting out the bass was #1 priority. I used sad but true by metallica as my bass line (heh heh).

I chose this song as it has a massive sound. And the bass is very upfront but tighter than a ticks arsehole. The black album production is very for testing imo.

I tested with alot of other tracks. But i gotta say over powering bass baffles me. Just ruins the sound. Taste is everything, but yeh... each there oqn i guess.

Sounding alot better. And will provide more info as i listen and play eith them more.

19. FNQer

FNQer Member

having not heard the pair you bought I can't comment on its sound, but it does take earbuds a little time to 'wear' them in....

20. OP
    OP
    DUS x SSJ4 x

DUS x SSJ4 x Member

Bit of an update.

Was really enjoying the buds, up until its making my phone do weird things. I think there is something up with the wiring because everytime I plug them in my phone goes ballistic. So atm they just sit at my desk and work and have no issues listening from the computer.

I'll prob buy a brand name pair next time.

As much as I want to send them back, I really cannot be bothered dealing with returning them... lol