Earphones/Headphones for the gym?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by silentkilla92, Oct 23, 2017.

1. silentkilla92

silentkilla92 Member

Hi guys,

I have been using Jaybird X2's for the gym but they aren't the most comfortable fit, and I can still hear the ridiculous music playing at the gym when I have them on, unless I have them turned up to full volume. Also have the same issue on the plane.

I was wondering what a better alternative might be that fits the below criteria:
    - earphones or headphones
    - if headphones, something that doesn't sweat (I tried a friend's set recently and got warm and sweaty - and I'm not a sweaty guy)
    - under $300
    - good at noise isolation/cancelling

Cheers!

2. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Bose qc30 for $360 street price - I use mine while working out, worth every dollar. Noise cancelling too.

3. miicah

miicah Member

Might sound dumb, but the $15 bluetooth headphones from Kmart are pretty good. They have multiple sized earbuds and ear hooks so you can get a perfect fit. Sure the SQ is average, but you're probably listening to podcasts or crappy quality Spotify and sweating your arse off, so who cares?

4. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

They don’t get too hot and sweaty? I use QC30 for work, and find they get a bit hot and sweaty after moderate use.

I had been thinking about picking up the cheap Kogan Bluetooth earphones for the gym. Seems like a good lightweight option, but I’m sure SQ will be ordinary.

Edit: https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/ultra-portable-bluetooth-earphones/

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  5. nico6

nico6 Member

6. Steak Face

Steak Face Member

About 6 months ago I was looking for some Bluetooth headphones for gym use.

I ended up with Beats Powerbeats 3, mainly due the claimed 12hr battery life (and a quick charge) as opposed to most other brands ~6hrs.

I've never owned Beats before (Audio-technica M50x being my 'home' headphones) and like most I dismissed them as being over priced and under performing.

But I take that back in regards to the Powerbeats, they are awesome at the gym. Sound great, excellent bass response, and stay put and no wires.

My only criticism would be sound isolation could be better but that's being picky.

Overall very happy with them.

7. Zee

Zee Member

I'm currently using Trinity Vyrus V2's and Icarus III's - both offer good isolation with the various supplied tips, and are comfy, acoustically they are excellent, and the tune-able ear tips mean you can adjust the audio by screwing in one of the many supplied tips. I triain witht he Vyrus V2's, as they are smaller and a touch lighter, and travel with the Icraus III's, as they tend to sound a tiny bit better. I woul dnot have bothered with the Icraus III's, to be honest, the Vyrus is damn good already, but I got the Icraus at such a bargain price I couldn't resists.

Having said that, to this day the Etymotics ER6i's were the best earphones I ever had when it came to isolation. They also sounded good, and fit under my my motorbike helmet nicely, they also came with a nice variety of ear plugs. They are no longer sold, though, not sure what the current ones are like. At about $100, well within your price range.

Basically, you put them in, they are about as good as a good set of foam earplugs (seriously) for isolation, and they STAY in. The only reason they come out, is because I pull them out. Sadly, I've lost mine, and can't buy them anymore. The only downside is that the cable gets hard after a year or so form all the sweat when training.

Z...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  8. OP
    OP
    silentkilla92

silentkilla92 Member

I'm keen to know if they get hot and sweaty too. This was my issue with a set of Plantronics headphones of my friends' that I tried at the gym

I've read that the sound quality and noise cancelling on the Quiet Comfort's is second to none. Just need to confirm whether they will get hot and sweaty.

PsydFX - how much use before you find them being hot and sweaty?

Cheers

EDIT: I was referring to the QC35's not 30's. The 30's are similar to the Jaybird X2's I have now but it doesn't feel great having them sticking in your ears for hours at a time (on a plane or gym).

9. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Argh! I got the model wrong - I actually have the QC25, which for all intents and purposes would be similar in feel to the QC35.

With NQ on, on a warm day, I really start to notice the warmth after about 30 - 40 minutes.

10. OP
    OP
    silentkilla92

silentkilla92 Member

Dammit. Same issue.

My Jaybird X2's are OK for an hour or so (comfort wise) but don't noise cancel well enough. Maybe I need another set like this but with the NC feature.

11. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

I have worn my noise-cancelling Bose QC30's for 6+ hours at a time with no discomfort. Highly recommended.

12. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

I have the X2's with the Comply memory foam tips.
    http://www.complyfoam.com/x2/

Block out almost all noise and cost ~$30 for 2 sets.

Worth it.

13. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

meizu ep51 from gearbest

14. nico6

nico6 Member

Trinity https://www.trinityaudioengineering.com/ currently has 40% off storewide. A couple of new pre-order items are discounted, and the extra 40% still applies! I just pre-ordered the Dual Phase IEMs as a new, let's say, "premium budget" set. AUD68.50 with tracked shipping

15. Zee

Zee Member

If they sound anything like either of mine, that's a bargain.

Z...

16. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

17. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

The tips are the key here I think, I think Etymotic are the only ones who do these triple flange tips but I was able to find some replacements that fit my headphones. To the OP this is the way I would go, buy some Etymotics or another pair and source some triple flange tips although I don't know if they will suit everyone as they insert kinda deep into the ear canal.

18. Zee

Zee Member

They do - which is what gives them the awesome isolation. I would regularly ride at... erm... 110km/hr... and have the volume on my iPhone set to about 1/3, and more than comfortably hear my tunes.

Z...

19. Zee

Zee Member

20. nico6

nico6 Member

Link bad? Works for me