1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Easiest beginner PLC/PIC programming

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by bradrogers, Jul 16, 2006.

1. bradrogers

bradrogers Member

Hi again all.

II am looking at mucking around with PIC's / PLC's, as I will be studying them soon enough in tafe.

What is an easy / affordable format to learn?? (ie basicstamp, pic micro, etc)

I'm after something that won't break the bank, and is easy to learn as a beginner.

2. Elder

Elder Member

I'll say get into PICs, cause thats what i've done :p Theres plenty of examples and communities around you will not have problems (well you will, but there will be people/places to help you when you do :p). You get MPLAB free (software environment to program in) that has some basic software simulation ability. Getting a programmer is the only real step. So thats what i'll talk about....

My recommendation is to get what is going to make your life easiest. Sure some extra steps can seem a minor issue but when your programming, testing, programming, testing etc it is so much better to have the easiest programming environment you can.

So, with that in mind:
    - I'd get one that is MPLAB compatible (so you can code in MPLAB then press a button to program, rather than open a seperate software program to then program your PIC)
    - I'd get one that has a ZIF socket. (worth the little bit of extra money, makes it effortless to put the chip in and pull it out, and may save you breaking the pins of the chips aswell)
    - I'd get one that has ICSP. (most/all programmers with a zif socket will have this)
    - I'd be looking at getting a usb one that doesn't require an external power supply (less effort to set up, less mess, dont need to buy power supply)

You should be able to get this for easily under $100 at many places. Your other option is to go cheap and get a ISCP only programmer, they can be very cheap ($20?). Steer clear of the ones inbetween this range, that either dont have MPLAB support or dont have a ZIF socket or need an external power supply. Theres no reason to get one of these inbetween models when a good full featured one is not much dearer. Theres also no need to get anything dearer than $80 or so (not for your purposes).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  3. newSpeak

newSpeak Member

The easiest way to get into microcontollers i reckon is to buy a demo board from somewhere like futurlec. They have everything you need to get up and running with the microcontroller. You can extend the ports out to your designs on breadboard from the headers. They are very neat.

Here is a PIC board: http://www.futurlec.com.au/PICDevBoard.jsp

I don't really have any experience with PICs. All of my projects have used Atmel AVRs. Some people prefer PIC, some prefer Atmel. The reason i have gone Atmel in the past is avr-gcc, a free c compiler that can save you a lot of time if you are doing something complicated.

Here is an atmel board:
    http://www.futurlec.com.au/ATMegaDevBoard.jsp

4. dohzer

dohzer Member

Also, if you want the easiest way and haven't dealt with assembly programming before, maybe start with the 18F series PICs so you can program in C using MPLAB.
    However, for a better understanding of how they work it's probably better using assembly anyway.

Either way, I find the PIC18F452 is a good starter as it has a bit of everything onboard.

5. OP
    OP
    bradrogers

bradrogers Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

Another good feature would be to be able to interface with my Visual basic programming via Rs232, as this is all part of something I'm designing.

I know rs232 is used to upload programming, etc, I'm looking for something that will communicate to a pc via rs232 in runtime.

EDIT: Those Atmel links look awesome, nice price too! I'm seriously considering getting a kit. Just gotta get rego out of the way! :p

6. Loser

Loser Member

7. Dr feelgood

Dr feelgood Member

I'm also interested in this sorta stuff, but what scares me off it is the programing, language, compliling and fixing bugs. How easy is it for someone with zero programing skills (i bearly even understanding html) but a good understanding of electronics? Is there free stuff/programs out there to make the experiences easier?

8. dohzer

dohzer Member

Virtually all the microcontrollers I've worked with have a USART/UART port for serial communications.
    Simply connect the UART to a RS232 voltage converter (ie. a MAX232 chip) and plug the MAX232 into your computer's serial port.

9. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

I learnt a bit about PLCs at tafe :)

We used ispLever (program) and used an ispLSI 1016E (chip)

The board is in my room... connects to a pc via parallel port.

I remember using ABEL & VHDL to program the IC (Drawing schematic & defining inputs/outputs, cant remember what else, lots of stuff). We made traffic lights with crossing buttons.

Btw: i dont think the atmel mega 16 is a plc but a microcontroller? We used the atmel 8051 and wrote the code in assembly language. Did alot of stuff with it, including writing data to a lcd screen which was fun :)

10. fref99

fref99 Member

Hi,

Does it have to be PIC?

If your just looking a programming microprocessors have a look at the Atmel range, also have a look at Bascom AVR. I've played about with PIC's, Atmel's and Siemens S5/S7 PLC's and for small projects that have to be finished yesterday the Atmel/Bascom combination can't be beaten.

Before anyone makes a comment about basic you can write "bad/unreadable" code in any language, it's just simpler/harder in some languages.

Also have a look at the SCL programming language. It's an IEC 61131-3 norm based programming language. My company uses both Siemens and Allen Bradley PLC's and with SCL we can use the same code (with small changes) on both. You can't say the same for AWL or FUP.

Regards
    Ian Dobson

11. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

If you're programming a device with VHDL, ABEL or some HDL, then it is a PLC or FPGA or similar, as distinct from a microcontroller, which you program in Basic, Assembler or C, or whatever programming language.

If you want to learn about microcontrollers, then i would suggest the cheapest way is simply to get a PIC or AVR chip, and muck around with it on a breadboard - start by driving LEDs, and work your way up to more exotic things. I don't know of any DIY PIC programmers which are compatible with Microchip's PICSTART, but compiling the hex file and loading it into IC-Prog to burn the chip isn't too much trouble.

AVR's require minimal programming hardware, and for that matter, neither do PIC's.

I use the 'JDM' RS232 PIC programmer circuit, which only uses about $10 worth of common components, and will happily program any PIC, works via serial programming / ICSP, and requires no external power supply.

If PLD's / FPGAs are more your thing, then perhaps get an Altera development board - from my experience they're not bad.

12. Elder

Elder Member

13. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Yep, imo programming an 8051 microcontroller in assembly was easier than programming an PLC :)

As goth said, start by turning on a led, then multiple leds, then make them flash in a sequence, then try using the interrupt feature, and then go onto lcd displays :D

14. dohzer

dohzer Member

Don't forget inputs either :).

15. LHEFI

LHEFI Member

I am seeing a misuse of terms here which I need to fix up.

PLC is a Programable Logic Controller

PLD is a Programable Logic Device
    CPLD is a Complex Programable Logic Device
    FPGA is a Field Programable Gate Array

The last three are similar in that they are semiconductors and in basic forms are used to replace descrete gates in a design. In comlpex form they can run softcore processors like Xilinx microblaze.

The first is actually a piece of electronic equipment which is used in process control applications. As previously stated there is an industry standard for programming PLC's and it is know as 61131 and it consisits of 6 different languages

SFC: Sequential Function Chart
    FBD: Function Block Diagram
    LD: Ladder Diagram
    ST: Structured text
    IL: Instruction List
    FC: Flow Chart

and indivdual PLC manufactures can and do also implement their own programming language.

Microcontrollers are generally programmed in either ASM or C and a few different architectures are 8051, PIC, AVR, ARM, MIPS, x86, ect. I started with AVR and 8051 never really got into pic but if I was starting out now I would definetly look at an ARM7 micro like the Atmel SAM7 series. This will put you in good stead as ARM is a fairly dominate architecture.

Cheers

16. daztay

daztay Member

If you really want to learn theses types of chips go straight to machine code, cause at the end of the day you can write tighter code that way. I learnt basic , then did machine code and then taugh myself C. Once you under stand machine code all lanuages are easy. Programming is like speaking, you need to know what to say as well as how to say it (lanuage).
    Take the step..............

There are 10 types of people in the wolrd.
    Those who know binanary and those who dont.

17. GOATMAN!!!

GOATMAN!!! Member

Yeah, I don't think you have the right idea of what a PLC is....

If you really are going to start learning them and want to get ahead, start learning about ladder diagrams.

18. GooSE

GooSE New Member

Is this the one you mean?

http://www.jdm.homepage.dk/newpic.htm

19. dohzer

dohzer Member

I've actually been wanting to get into programming ARM processors.
    I might look into those.

20. OP
    OP
    bradrogers

bradrogers Member

Yeah there is a bit of confusion between the two. Which is another reason, I'm going to start learning them.