1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Easiest beginner PLC/PIC programming

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by bradrogers, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Dan09

Dan09 Member

PLC short course

Hey guys,
    My name is Dan and I'm new on this forumm as well as in PLC's.
    I enrolled for a short course in PLC's at RMIT and it'll cost me around $2800 for 4 modules.
    I'm not sure it will be worth it to do it but is quite big in content as well as they promise a hands on and practical stuff.
    Did anyone do that kind of short course, can anyone share theyr own learning experience.
    thank you

2. Foliage

Foliage Member

I did a course at university called digital electronics and it had a small element with PIC programming in assembly. This gave me some basic knowledge and I then went on to learn C and stuff around with them at work and on my own time.

Basically the best way to learn is get a PIC and LCD and some wires and build something simple like a clock, you will probably have no idea how to do any of it but this is the beauty of learning, you figure it out.

3. GooSE

GooSE New Member

Foilage, PLCs and PICs (i.e. microcontrollers) are totally different.

PLC
    Microcontroller

4. Foliage

Foliage Member

Whoops, I read it as PIC not PLC oh well.

5. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

It depends on what you want to do with this knowledge - is it for work? Or do you just need to know a bit more about PLC's?

For the absolute beginner I would recommend downloading the Zelio programming software (it's free) here - http://www.squared.com/us/squared/c...558A785256ECB00743353/$file/ZelioSoftware.htm The beauty of that package is that you can program in either ladder or function block, and you can emulate so you can try your code without the need for a PLC.

Once you get confident with that you can then move into more advanced PLC's like Allen-Bradley, Siemens, GE Fanuc and the like.

I've personally never done any courses on PLC's, everything I know is self-taught, but I did have the luxury of having worked in industries where I had spare PLC's that I could play with, and lots of spare time!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  6. Dan09

Dan09 Member

Thanks Symon,
    hope it'll be useful as soon as I'll get the PLC:)
    is not for work yet as i still work in telecomm but i've got a degree in engineering and i'd like to switch to PLC's as it's a lot better paid job.
    cheers

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  7. k.gen04

k.gen04 Member

PLCs are used for industrial control and automation, and are designed to be immune from dust, vibration, excess heat, and electrical noise, and thus cost lots of money. A control unit (minus I/O, DAC, etc) costs about $10,000NZD. Modules which add these other functions cost $500-$1000+. In comparision, a basic microcontroller costs $5.