East Point Seascape

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by !nsane, Oct 31, 2016.

1. !nsane

!nsane Member

G'day guys,

One from last nights sunset up in Darwin.

We are lucky as we have water on 3 sides so there is always something to shoot at sunset!

[​IMG]East Point seascape by dan, on Flickr

[​IMG]East point Vertical by dan, on Flickr

Dan

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  2. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Tried to check the EXIF but got gobbledeedook - care to help the unenlightened how the heck you got such incredible shots?

3. The_Stig

The_Stig Member

Big fan of the first one, colours are amazing!

4. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I'm backing composite shots yeah?

5. OP
    OP
    !nsane

!nsane Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for that.

Yeah, PS strips out my EXIF and I CBF putting it back in usually.

First shot is a composite of 3 images bracketed, 1.6s, F13, ISO 64, then a 6s exposure and a 30s exposure.

Result is added to PS and layered as a smart object with mean mixing mode to create a background composite.

I then added in each individual photo as a layer and painted in the bits I was after carefully, using a mask and brush on low opacity to get the end result.

It's not far off what I saw with my eyes while I was shooting, and I could almost get this from the single middle exposure with the D810 Dynamic range, but it would have been noisier and not quite as dynamic. (would have saved a bit of time though).

Second image is much the same, and I am working on a third image as we speak.

It's funny I was saying to my Wife while we were shooting that it was a crap sunset, but the colours that the camera manages to capture are incredible. The image I am working on at the moment needs the barest amount of contrast added, all the colours are going to be pretty much straight out of camera. I'll post it up here when it's finished.

Dan

6. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Dan - if there is any way for you to write a halfwits guide on how to do this I and numerous others would be eternally grateful. Mate, they are incredible shots.

7. OP
    OP
    !nsane

!nsane Member

Here is the third image in the set - I had some problems and it took me AGES to get this right.

[​IMG]East point Seascape III by dan, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC0944 after LR by dan, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC0944 Out of Camera by dan, on Flickr

Akh-Horus - Sorry mate it's way too in-depth to do a write up unless I spend heaps of time and do it properly on Youtube or something.

I've learnt a lot from https://fstoppers.com/Photographing-the-World-Landscape-Photography-and-Post-Processing and from people on Youtube like Yuri-Fine art.

Hope this helps,
    Dan

8. OP
    OP
    !nsane

!nsane Member

Annnd.... An A4 print that I just did up, after finally fixing my wide format printer after more than a year without printing.

[​IMG]2016-11-02_04-19-26 by dan, on Flickr

Dan

9. curtiswwe

curtiswwe Member

#2 is my favourite, love the contrast in the rocks against the smooth water :thumbup: