Easy DIY Vertical GPU mount.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Defyant, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Defyant

Defyant Member

The first mod in the newly modded work space :)

After this thread https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/looking-to-fabricate-vertical-gpu-mount.1227773/ i still get some enquiries to make these. So i decided to come up with a way that just about anyone could make their own.

First off if your in the market for a Premium Product check out Bill's Brackets over @ MNPC TECH You wont find a better product.

https://mnpctech.com/vertical-gpu-video-card-installation-mount/

If your looking to go the DIY way then stick around i may have the guide to help you.

The mod will set you back less than a few bucks and a bit of your time.

Tools can be as advanced as a Dremel or as simple as tin snips and a file.

Hardware is a hand full of screw and nuts or pop rivets ( requires pop rivet gun)

First off you need to find your self an old case. Honestly i find the OEM types to better Value as they are usually made of thicker metal.

But as you will see even the cheaper thinner tin type cases will work as well.

I tend to horde a few cases as spare body parts :) In this case the body part i need is the actual GPU mounting bracket.

[​IMG]

To remove the bracket you can Drill/Dremel/Grind or even FILE the heads off the alloy rivets.

[​IMG]

These usually come in as a full unit with IO panel... but for some reason this one is in 2 parts....

**Take note as this will stuff things a little as we go...

[​IMG]

It's good to see we don't have to worry about making threads.

[​IMG]

The next thing that has to be done is to decided if you want your bracket to be 2 card slot 3 or 4 slot.

Not many cases will have room for than 4. I'm going with 2 slots as per requested.

A simple cut line is marked.

[​IMG]

Cutting is done, but along the back edge a section is left.... this is to be folded over to help fill the back edge of the finished mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quick file cleans up sharp edging.

[​IMG]

The L section can be folded in... As you can see due to this being a 2 section back there's not enough metal to go all the way... this will change if the part you using is a single part.

[​IMG]

That did not take much effort and you almost have a complete GPU mount ready to go!

But to make it a bit more card friendly a support slot piece can be added.

Looking back into the case you can see that the support slots are part of the MB tray.

[​IMG]

A bit more pop rivet removal work and this removes easy. I have also marked a cut line.

[​IMG]

A small 2 section is cut away, i'll be using the rest on another bracket :thumbup:

[​IMG]

A little bit more cutting and a some edge rounding with the file to clean it up.

[​IMG]

Next this needs to have a hole added. A punch is used to stop the drill running.

A nail or even the drill bit will work the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The drilled part can be placed and the hole can be marked to the mount punched and drilled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2 can be joined either by screw or rivet both work just as well. I have also drilled some extra mount holes .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few coats of satin black to make it look a bit more oem and the jobs done !

A very simple cost effective way to make your own Vertical GPU mount.

Cheers :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mnpctech

mnpctech Member

This is simply, the BEST DIY guide in existence by a Master Modder.

museumman and Defyant like this.
  3. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I was thinking of doing something like this for my next build but I worry about supporting the GPU from just the end.

Defyant and vladtepes like this.
  4. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Easy step by step photos, nice work.

Defyant likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Defyant

Defyant Member

I decided to put the bracket to use :)

A little extra diy was needed but all in all a pretty clean install.

[​IMG]

A secondary plate was made for better brace strength.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]