easy food for driving

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by broox, Dec 14, 2009.

1. broox

broox Member

Howdy,

I drive a truck most of the week and make deliveries to bakeries ... this is a bad thing... too many pies, donuts, cokes & iced coffees

I'm puting on weight even tho I have a very active week. (hand unload and deliver~30t of flour, over the week. between 6-10t per day)
    I need to workout something healthyish and filling to eat while I'm driving about to rid the temptation of every place I deliver to.

Basically I'm looking for a quick easy breakfast. lunch. snacks.

I know the key to this weight loss is simply lower the calorie intake... but I don't know what to substitute it with...

are "up&go's" good breakfast material?

will add more info when i get home :)

cheers!

2. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Quite a lot of sugar in those liquid breakfasts, i think you could probably do a bit better :)

Fruit is very portable, esp if you've got an eski or "chullybun" to put it in.

3. OP
    OP
    broox

broox Member

bananas could b a go-er. also i've got a small eski with ice bricks.

i've gotta cut back on the iced coffees tho :/ but they r so filling & tasty

I'm after EASY. after working and playing with the kids and surfing ocau i don't wanna spend hours cooking & making mess.

Also, are those Vietnamese Meat rolls good or you?

4. Iseneye

Iseneye Member

I read the ingredient list on an up&go a couple of days ago and they are shocking:

Filtered Water, Breakfast Cereal (4%) (Fructose, Chicory Inulin, Corn Syrup Solids, Maize Starch), Skim Milk Powder, Cane Sugar, Wheat Maltodextrin, Soy Protein, Sunflower Oil [contains antioxidant (vitamin E)], Minerals (Phosphates Of Calcium And Sodium), Flavours, Food Acid (332), Flavour, Vegetable Gums (460, 466, 407), Colours (122, 124), Salt, Vitamins (C, Niacin, A, B12, B6, B2, B1, Folate).

They try to fool you by saying they are low in fat but gloss over the fact that it is just sugar (fructose, corn syrup, cane sugar) and water with a few misc. vitamins and minerals.

When I go on long trips I usually take sandwhiches, bananas, fruit, nuts and water. They're all edible whilst driving.

5. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

you would be looking at one handed meals, like sandwiches, rolls, flat bread wraps etc...

Pick a main filling - meat, chicken or fish and then a salad type to fill.

Ie Chicken, avocado and garden salad...or chicken and tabouleh etc... Even a cold chicken cut up into pieces (finger food style) with some side could give u some ideas. Home made pastries can be healthier too ddont forget.

Ive had a driving job, but as you found out the food sorta gets fat and expensive :p

Nothing wong with iced coffees, just cut down or switch to the lower sugar kind...failing that an esky filled with cordial and ice goes down well...i used to take a large one filled with ice when i was in welding....

6. lethoso

lethoso Member

hard boiled eggs, cold meat (ham, turkey, chicken legs etc.) Carrots are good for a chomp. Drink normal milk/unsweetened iced coffee.

7. OP
    OP
    broox

broox Member

I'll head to the shops and get some sambo filling stuff.

what are the good type of nuts to eat? I'll get a container and throw a handfull into.

i'll try cut out / down on the iced coffees. i usually have about 2x 600ml cartons a day :o so much sugar!

8. fiberoptic

fiberoptic (Taking a Break)

Natural almonds.. not roasted or salted or flavoured. Absolutely almonds :thumbup:

Cashews are also good but are higher in carbs and sugar.. and almonds are higher in protein and muuuuch higher in fibre (good!).

Personally I found nibbling on a small handful of almonds really satisfies any cravings for carbs or sweets. Just kills it completely lol. And theyre packed full of vitamins/minerals that you wouldnt get from eating something flour-based like bread or cakes.

As for iced coffees.. how about substituting it for something else? Tried V8 vegetable juice? It's pretty damn low in calories (40cals per 250mL popper) and is quite filling since the juice is dense. Bit high in salt though so you'd have to be wary of that.

Basically just read up on calories and nutritional contents of foods and you'll be able to make wiser decisions with food and drinks. Quantifying foods with caloric numbers really makes your brain "get" it.. rather than guessing and comparing by what you'd guess is good or bad. You cant argue with a number attached to a donut or pie in the hundreds, versus an apple with like 70 calories. Even basic stuff like 1 gram of protein equals 4 calories, 1 gram of carbs equals 4 calories.. and 1 gram of fat equals 9 calories (hence why fatty foods are higher in calories even if the portion mass is small).

And sugar is actually fat free lol. So reading products saying 99% fat free doesnt mean it is sugar-less. Flavoured milks sold pre-packaged are skim milk based but then loaded with sugar.

Anyway enough blabbing from me. The internet is full of awesome info. Good luck! :)

9. mareke

mareke Member

Coles sell a lean ham steak in a packet of 4 with only 93 calories per steak. You can microwave a few and being lean protein they'll satiate you for hours. Another possibility is Barley Max Protein 1st cereal from Woolworths which should also cause good satiation.

10. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Yeah FUIC is a killer... 64g of sugar in one of those bad boys. I miss them :(

11. dink

dink Member

Wraps man. They are easy to make and easy to eat. Just do like Subway does it. Sliced meat, cheese, lettuce, onion, shrooms, and whatever else you want. Don't use tomatoes. Complement with nut bars, fruit and jerky.

12. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

Ribs anyone :lol:

Jerky would be ideal

13. AndrewWard

AndrewWard Member

lol @ cashews high in sugar.

14. fiberoptic

lol @ you misreading my sentence. It says cashews are highER in sugar than almonds, not just plain HIGH in it.

It is comparative, smartass.

Almonds = 4g sugar per 100 grams
    Cashews = 6g sugar per 100g.

People eating handfuls at a time, and that adds up. Cashews also have double the amount of saturated fats. Did your googling skills die off today?

15. scon

scon Member

If you're interested in nutrition, and nuts, apparently, if you eat almonds, cashews and brazil nuts in equal amounts, you get all the essential amino acids that your body requires.

16. UB3R

UB3R Member

Biltong (really freaking tough Sth African Jerky), it will wear your jaw muscles out and fill you up. It is a little high in salt though.

Otherwise snowpeas, they are sweetish, tasty, and you can eat them all day! they do get a tad boring every day though, so prehaps have alternating food days...

also, one day a week have your pie and iced coffee, its bad to totally excluide stuff you like, so have it one day as a reward, it tastes 50X better this way too because you savor every second!

17. AndrewWard

AndrewWard Member

Well, first of all...

Sugar Per 100g:

Almonds: 3.4g
    Cashews: 5.9g

But wait... Wait for it...

CALORIES PER 100G:

Almonds: 576 cal
    Cashews: 554 cal

So.. If you are eating "handfuls" at a time, you could eat more cashews, for less calories! Wow.

And as per your Saturated Fat argument:

Saturated Fat Per 100g:

Almonds: 3.7g
    Cashews: 7.7g

4g is hardly anything to worry over...

Also, Saturated Fat is a highly debatable topic.

Those who are very active can get away with higher saturated fat contents without negative consequences on their health/ lipid profile. Similarly, those with better genetics can have higher levels and nothing will change.

Those who are sedentary, or those with poor genetics/ those who have metabolic risk factors already - well - they will do worse with higher saturated fat contents and put themselves at greater risk of poor outcome.

Overall - I think that of your total fat content, saturated fats shouldn't make up any more than about 20-25%.... 10-15% in those who are more at risk.

OP you may find the following useful: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/collections/lunch+box+ideas

Be careful of nibbling on "handfuls" of nuts however, as they are very calorie dense and you can eat alot of them very easily.

Protein has an extremely high satiety rating, so if you are looking for filling snacks, be sure to include some protein.

18. OP
    OP
    broox

broox Member

whats wrong with tomatoes? just the soggy factor?

also, cheers for that link andrew, i'll preuse and get some ideas :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  19. fiberoptic

I assume you arent a total noob to nutrition, so would understand that it isnt purely calories you should look at. It's WHERE those calories come from too. So yes, almonds are higher than cashews overall... but most of those extra calories come from polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. Good fats.

Maybe these little differences mean nothing to you or myself, but the consciousness of such variations is good to have, especially for someone who is keen to lose weight. Also we are talking generally here, of course we know nothing about the OP's whole lifestyle and genetic makeup. Throw the info out there, he can pick what he deems appropriate for him.

THIS is exactly why I was being picky and comparing two types of nuts with slight variations in nutrition values. People do eat more than a recommended portion is.. Ive seen people scoff down 200g in one sitting at work on a routine basis.

I dont know how true it is, but Ive also heard that although nuts are high in calories.. our bodies dont actually break down all those calories due to tough cell walls etc? Been meaning to research that one but could prove tricky.. (though I know I used to live on literally handfuls of almonds a day, probably more than my RDI calories worth lol, but was still losing weight with no exercise..)

20. AndrewWard

AndrewWard Member

Mate, wasnt being disrespectful. I just wanted to make sure the wrong information wasnt being spread.

I now understand what you were saying.

Btw, here is some reading regarding your post above: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/80/3/604

/Back on topic