Easy Peasy Macarons (GF)

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by RETARD, Nov 16, 2012.

1. RETARD

RETARD Member

Makes: Approx 20 Macarons

There are so many different versions of a macaron.
    In fact if you Google 'macaron' you will get 9,360,000 results. OMG!! :shock:

So after much googling and You-tubing & varying the amounts and techniques to see what would work best for me heres what i think is as almost fool proof as you will get.
    For some reason we are lead to believe that these are incredibly difficult to make.
    I found that they are quite simple if you follow a few simple steps & pay attention. The ingredient list is not from another world & they are cheap to make.

This is my 2nd take of the recipe ... the first time i had 1 too many egg whites which liquefied the mixture too much.
    Whether or not you get it spot on or not is just a matter of attention to a few key details and a little bit of practice (hopefully i have done some of that on your behalf)
    What is guaranteed though - even if you over cook them a bit they will still taste great and look pretty.

I found the hardest part was piping even amounts.
    It was sticky but fun :) - The Macarons that is ... :p
    Keep in mind this is a basic level macaron.
    I've read a million different flavour combinations i can't wait to create some crazy flavours of this for Christmas.

So it's time ... get into the zone, find your inner Chi ...
    its time to blast out some Macarons!

INGREDIENTS:

The Shell
    • Scant 1 Cup ground Almonds
    • 1 1/2 Cups Icing Sugar (Powdered Sugar)
    • 3 Free Range Egg Whites (separated & stored for 3 days in the fridge)
    • 5 Tlb White (Granular) Sugar
    • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract

The Filling
    • 300 ml Cream
    • 150 ml Sweetened Condensed Milk
    • 4 rows melted Dark Chocolate (about 60 grams)

METHOD:

Making the Shell:
    1. First lay 2 sheets of baking paper onto 2 baking trays. Also remove the already separated egg whites from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature.

2. Mean while - Sift the ground Almonds & Icing sugar into a large bowl.
    I found the flavour better when buying whole Almonds and use my coffee grinder to make my own.
    (It's cheaper too! We're going to make loads of these right?)

3. In a metal bowl whisk the 3 egg whites til light and foamy (see pics) Continue to whisk and add in the sugar 1 T at a time.
    Stop when you have a stiff & glossy stiff peaks. (see pics)
    Fold in 1 tsp of your desired food colouring / gel

4. Fold through very carefully half of the Almond mixture with the Egg mixture. When its combined fold through the other half.

5. Add your mixture into a piping bag (or you can use a large zip lock bag, then cut the corner when ready) and pipe onto your baking sheets about 2 inches apart. (see pics)

6. Now your sheets are filled - we need to pick up the tray in both hands and bang it down onto the bench quite firmly about 10 times. This will flatten the mixture slightly and more importantly helps the Shell develop the distinctive 'feet' when they bake. (see pics)

7. Let them sit on the bench uncovered for 15 to 45 mins. We are waiting for a light skin to form from the air, depending on the humidity as to how long this will take. Just touch with your finger gently ... you want it to be like a very soft dough and not a sticky meringue. The key sign will be when you can touch it without it sticking to your finger.

8. Pre-heat the oven onto 140 deg C (not Fan Forced)
    Place into the middle to lower portion of the oven for 15 - 17 mins.
    Take one of the shells out and break apart to see if its ready.

9. Remove from oven and leave out to cool for at least 1 hour before filling.

**Notes**
    After 2 mins open the oven for a few seconds to allow any steam to escape
    About half way switch the trays around so they bake evenly.
    We are looking for a firm base and top with out the middle being wobbly at all.
    Its ok to open the oven to touch during the process to check.
    Always close the oven door slowly - doing so too fast will 'push' all the hot air out of the oven, we want to maintain a constant temperature if possible

Making the Filling:
    1. Simply whisk the Condensed Milk and cream on high in a bowl until creamy and thick (about 5- 7 mins)

2. Stir in the melted Chocolate and place in the fridge to firm up for a couple hours.

The Assembly:
    1. Match your Shells in pairs. We want them to be as close in size as possible. Unless you are super human and can make identical sized shapes ?

2. Fill a piping bag with the cream mixture and pipe on dollops onto 1 of the 2 shells. I have tried spooning on the mixture, but the result is just a little bit better with a piping/zip lock bag.

3. You can eat them now but honestly the best flavour comes from storing them in the fridge, uncovered over night.
    They will keep for a few days uncovered.
    If all has gone well ... you will have a thin crispy outer shell, a chewy inner & delicious filling.

Good Luck!!!
    May the Force be with you!

[​IMG]

Look a Smiley Face!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No need to crowd, give them space, Macarons are claustrophobic :tongue:
    [​IMG]

The shoes are growing
    [​IMG]

Just what we want :)
    [​IMG]

Cooling down
    [​IMG]

Match into similar sized pairs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

I take my hat off to you, RETARD. Those look pretty pro to me. I have tried my hand at macarons, but I am too ashamed to post my results. Well, I can't anyway, because I didn't bother taking a picture of my deformed effort!

3. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

Cheers Amfibius ;)

Believe me when i tell you this ... I am NOT a baker.
    There are different versions that require dehydrated egg white powder to 'stabalise the mixture' etc ... i think this works just as well with out all the pain

I've no doubt you could make mince meat of this version & perhaps take some worthy photos even :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  4. STINGA

STINGA Member

Amfibius humble in the presence of RETARD? Well it's about time! :)

5. Deidameia

Deidameia Member

They look great - nice work. Question - the egg whites... do you know the weight? I'm all about precision in my baking and egg sizes are so varied these days.

6. Baringa

Baringa Member

These are totally on my to do list! I love macarons but my local bakery dont do GF ones, their filling always has gluten in it so while the shells are GF, the damn filling isnt, arg!

I also want to make stupid and crazy variations! I think Savory Sweet Life or Smitten Kitchen did carrot cake macarons I've been itching to try!

7. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

I would say about 100 grams of egg whites will do the trick :)

As for crazy flavours ... I've seen a Big Mac(aron) version ... that will make it into my kitchen soon :)

[​IMG]

8. fiberoptic

fiberoptic (Taking a Break)

That is adorable.. and so is the pun name Big Mac(aron) ahah

Freaking amazing kitchen work again Retard. I wish I was as 'Retarded' as you :( :lol:

9. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

Thanks fiberoptic :)

I wish somehow it could be abbreviated to Big Moron?

In the house of TARD there is always extra chromosomes to be shared :thumbup:
    i normally gain a few with each beer in the evening

10. Baringa

Baringa Member

Oh god, big mac(aron)! amazing!

11. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

I love YOUR work Retard :thumbup:

12. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

that's a qtr pounder, not a big mac (it only has one beef pattie)

13. ricky60

ricky60 Member

Wife just made these, but used a ganache recipe for the filling. Will upload photos later.

14. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

awesome!
    so they turned out im guessing :)
    look forward to the pictures :D

15. ricky60

ricky60 Member

So far so good. Haven't put them together yet. Still waiting for the ganache to cool. Used 110g of egg whites and still felt it was a bit "thick" (4 egg whites) - might try 120g egg whites next time. Also, left the oven on fan forced accidentally for the first part of cooking. We learned a lot for a first time though.

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  16. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

oooh im very excited to see them :)

17. ricky60

ricky60 Member

18. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

If thats a first try then i say thats pretty excellent!
    Feel free to keep them in the fridge with some plastic wrap over the top so they don't absorb flavours.

well done to your mrs for giving this one a go
    :thumbup:

EDIT: how did you feel they turned out as far as flavour and ease of cooking?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  19. ricky60

ricky60 Member

Flavours and texture are excellent. The only things that really went wrong were the consistency of the sizings, and that some of them split due to the oven being on fan forced for a while. Second attempt will be way better (will do some at christmas I think, and whisk some pistachio paste into the ganache.

For reference, the ganache is just:
    300mL cream
    225g dark chocolate
    80g butter
    pinch salt

Bring cream to light boil, add remaining ingredients, remove from heat and stir till smooth. Allow to cool in fridge. As there is no sweetness in the ganache, the bitterness really offsets the sweetness in the shells. Nom nom nom.

20. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

yeah the piping is a bit of a skill to get used to.
    If you google there are stencils you can download and simply place them under the baking paper and fill in the dots :)

Also each oven is different, being that the elements work differently / are in different places etc..
    I found my ovens work best on the 3rd lowest shelf (just below the middle), any lower and they cook slightly too fast on the bottom before the top is nice and ready.
    As for Fan Forced ... i suggest using a traditional setting & not using fan forced if possible.

Feel free to grind up some pistachio as part of the biscuit too ( just sift with the Almonds)

Again great job...
    I like the sound of the Dark Chocolate Ganache :thumbup: