Easy Peasy Macarons (GF)

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by RETARD, Nov 16, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

oh well there you go ... even i didn't know that
    nice pick up!

I find i am using closer to 1 cup of Almond Meal rather than the 2/3 in the recipe. It keeps the mixture firmer and easier to pipe imo.

Tonight im making Rolo Macarons :D with Dark Chocolate in the shell
    a milk chocolate ganache with a salted caramel dollop in the middle :)

Good luck to us all!

2. Kie

Kie Member

Yeah the pure icing sugar allows the film to form quicker and also helps the macarons to rise. I also read somewhere it helps to stop them sticking to the tray (which was our main issue).

3. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

good info.
    although i strongly recommend you pipe them onto baking paper before baking.
    let them cool out of the oven then remove

4. Kie

Kie Member

Sorry, to clarify: We use baking paper but they still stick, regardless of whether we try to take them off immediately after cooking or after leaving them an hour or so =/ So hopefully pure icing sugar fixes the issue. Regardless of whether they stick or not, I still eat them :p

Edit: Also, is there any advantage to using boiled caster sugar as well as pure icing sugar (not boiled)?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  5. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

you can always have a fancy eaton mess ... have you had them before?

Im imagining the difference is texture and more shine in the shell.
    I've never made that way ... it requires candy thermometers etc and tbh i couldnt be arsed.
    This way is easy for everyone to stuff up :lol:

6. immashoesaddict

immashoesaddict Member

They look SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good Retard!!! Hell if you ship to Melbourne , ill be your first customer :lol:

7. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

actually im flying to Melbourne to do some cooking next friday :)
    not sure how i go about getting a stash of these on board?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  8. immashoesaddict

immashoesaddict Member

:weirdo::weirdo::weirdo: tempting ! I'm gonna bet it wont last the trip hahah.

9. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Thanks for this. I can see my 6yo coeliac daughter going apeshit over these.

10. ra66it

ra66it Member

Can these be made without almond meal? Can't eat any type of nuts ....

11. Baringa

Baringa Member

12. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

Indeed - i think any 6.yo would be the same ;)
    I'm surprised how many kids parties have these now.
    Certainly different to my childhood :lol:
    Good luck if you decide to make them.

13. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Have wanted to try these for a while but putting them off because I'll eat them. :weirdo:

Anyway went to a new Coles that's just opened last night and they had a 1kg bag of the ground Almonds for $8.99 which is the cheapest I've seen it, I think it's normally that for 500grams. Anyway, it tipped the scales and I bought it to give them a go. Sadly I also went to the farm and bought eggs as I'm out and now have to wait for 2 weeks for them to age. :mad:

Can't decide whether to give it a go and risk wasting the ingredients or not. :(

14. Kie

Kie Member

Yeah I think the eggs are quite critical. We tried a pre-made pack *gasp*, which contained all the ingredients, and it worked better than ever! The only thing different in the pack to what we used was the egg white substitute.

We're unfortunately a bit spontaneous when it comes to macarons so the idea of "we'll make them in two days, let's get the egg whites out" has never come to form; and I think that's what has been messing us up each time.

15. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

Bargain Ma_Baker!
    we have expensive taste between Almonds & Pistachios.
    It's lucky they keep for a small lifetime in a sealed container :)

Regarding both the comments on eggs.
    A friend from the Bulla weekend has her own chooks and she can't use them directly with out having to wait.
    She patiently waits and uses this recipe then sells her wares to cafes etc.

I still buy Kangaroo Island free range eggs (about $7 doz)
    I have used them straight from the carton (after coming to room temp) and not noticed any real difference.
    I believe you can add egg white substitutes as well, which helps stabilize the mixture. I seem to recall reading something about baking soda or powder that does that too, but the source elludes me atm.

For something different you could try infusing flavour into the cream when making the ganache.
    Ginger, orange, lemon - what ever you like.

Good luck - i hope it works out for you.

16. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Well I decided I could wait no longer. 2 days ago I separated the eggs and decided to give them a whirl today since I've got my sons coming over for a pork roast. One of my sons loves them so it will be a surprise for him, hopefully he will share.

I just did cream and white chocolate ganache for the filling and it tastes very yummy. Just uploading pictures now.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

17. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

They have little feet and everything Ma :leet:
    amazing!

They will keep in the fridge in a sealed container for a bit, they do lose their crispness slightly but are still delicious.

A tip for another time ... you can actually batch cook these and freeze the shells individually. Then just defrost and insert what ever filling you like!

Your son is so lucky. I am sure he will love them as they look fabulous!

18. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Thank you so much for the recipe. I've been wanting to try these for ages and your recipe and instructions gave me the courage to try it out. If I'd been able to leave the eggs longer to age then it could have had better results. These eggs are only a few days from the farm. I'm quite impressed with myself for a first go and so is hubby. Unfortunately there are only 23 so I don't think there will be any left as my sons can eat. The tip for freezing them though is a good one as I could make some up and they would defrost quickly as a last minute treat if visitors come.

Thank you. :D

19. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

That's music to my ears :)
    Nothing makes me happier than to share my love for food with others and have them make it their own.
    I am a happy man today :cool:

20. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Just thought I'd update.

Desert went down a treat, not even a crumb left on the plate. My 3 year old grand-daughter who can be a bit fussy with her eating at times wolfed down 2 in no time. She was so funny, there was one left on the plate and she just grabbed it and laughed. I can't decide whether she really loved them or if she was mimicking the other adults, my sons, in wanting more. She ate every last crumb though, even doing the hoover which I taught my sons when they were little, lick the finger and gather the crumbs.

Think I'm going to have to make some more of these soon.

Paul do you have an easy recipe for salted caramel? Really not in to the measuring degrees, sorry I'm an old fashioned cook.

Also if you do have any spare, hmmm! this might be a silly question in my house, but if there are spares, do I recall you saying to refridgerate them without covering them?