Easy Peasy Macarons (GF)

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by RETARD, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Baringa

Baringa Member

Those look fab, Ma!

I still haven't given this a go. I'm so scared of failure! :upset:

2. Kie

Kie Member

They look delicious Ma! Great work :D

Yeah you get an egg white substitute powder in the pre-made packs from Coles/Woolies. Not sure what it has in it but it's good for those impulsive ones (like me and the missus) who love to just bake right away. I couldn't taste the difference either!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  3. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

So was I and I did it, so can you. :thumbup:
    Thanks. I was going to cheat and get a Zumba pack when they had them in NQR but when I went they'd sold out. I'm glad I didn't now that I realise how easy they are. Might even risk a batch without aging the egg whites too one day, they seem to make them on MKR ok so it's worth a whirl.

4. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

You're a grandma in high demand now Ma. The bar is set, you best get used to making them more often! I'm really happy everyone enjoyed them. You did an excellent job :thumbup:

I do have a salted caramel floating about.
    Let me do some snooping, their honestly not that hard to make.
    Something like ... put things in pot & simmer :p

If there are left overs just keep them sealed in container in the fridge.
    You will get about 3 days out of them, they soften slowly over that time but still taste delicious :)

I haven't tried freezing a whole macaron. You could always try a couple and let us know :cool:

5. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

That sounds just like what I'm after. :thumbup:

Don't think I'll freeze a whole one, just the halves if I do freeze any.

Got my next lot of egg whites sitting in the fridge. Hubby is keen to eat some more. :thumbup:

Also got my orders for my grand-daughters 4th birthday party in June for some red and some blue ones as she's having a spiderman party. Love her to bits, she's such a tomboy. Her mum wants her to have tinkerbell but she's having none of it. Her dad is rapt.

6. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

A tip when using colours.
    'Queen' make some gel colours as well as the traditional liquid ones.
    I find they don't 'water down' the mixture and are much better for macarons.

Ma be prepared to get orders for more macs after the party.
    If you're looking for a hobby, there is a strong interest in kids parties and some good money to be made. (i can advise you on prices if you like)

Thinking about a salted caramel.
    I would make my own condensed milk then keep simmering for a couple hours til it turned a caramel flavour.
    Best solution is to buy a tin of Condensed Milk, place into a saucepan of boiling water for 3 hours. Remove to cool, then open it and stir through salt to taste.

Throw into a piping bag and place a small dollop in the centre of the each shell.
    Then make a Milk Chocolate Ganache:
    500g of a high quality milk chocolate (finely chopped)
    300g Thickened Cream
    85g unsalted Butter (chopped)

Simply heat the cream til it starts to bubble
    Pour it over the chopped chocolate and butter
    let sit for 2 mins then stir til a high gloss.
    Let cool and thicken then pipe around the outside of the Salted Caramel

You have just made a 'rolo' macaron :)

7. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Thanks for the tips, they're all being stored. :thumbup:

Anyway did another batch today, rather chuffed with myself. :)

Click to view full size!

8. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

well done Ma - so you should be :)
    I want to sing the smurfs title song for some reason.
    I always liked Baker smurf!

9. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

That's funny because someone's already asked how many smurfs were killed. My grand-daughter, 3 years old, has asked me to make her some green ones. Gee she's bossy, she just loves them. There was about a quarter left of one when she was going and made me wrap it up for her so she could take it home, even though they went home with some.

Edit: 12/5/13
    Well Paul you have turned my hubby into a Macaron Monster. :eek: Seriously he won't stop eating them. I've made 2 batches today, one plain with a caramel sauce, doesn't taste very strong though so won't make that again, and the other green, as ordered, with white chocolate ganache. I'll give the boys some to take home and of course they'll eat the rest while they're here. :lol:

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  10. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

Ma you are a superstar.
    Try a sprinkilng of shredded coconut over the top before you bake them for an added decorative look.
    You'll be a master in no time!

11. no5isalive

no5isalive Member

I tried to make this the other day and although very delicious it wasn't the outcome I was hoping for. The ganache wasn't form enough and the meringues didn't rise enough. I have a feeling that I didn't whip the eggs enough and may have worked the almond in too much. Also I think my piping was too big and I may go for smaller meringues next time.

Not sure what happened with the ganache though.

[​IMG]

12. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

The ganache I made is really, really simple. I put 125 grams of Cadbury White Chocolate Melts in a bowl and add 63 ml of cream (I just use the no-name thickened or Bulla). I set my microwave to medium and set it for one minute. Give it a good stir, mine is done, you should have no chocolate lumps left after a good stir. I then sat it in the fridge until I needed. If I thought it wasn't thick enough I gave a very short whisk with the electric whisk until a little thicker, not long though 15-30 seconds, and it was great to pipe.

13. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I tried making some for the first time today. Not using this recipe as I forgot you posted it but THIS one. Difficult using my old crappy oven, but not too bad for a first time. For the ganache I just used a 100gm block of Lindt Chili chocolate and a bit of cream.

They mightn't look pretty but they taste great. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

14. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Well I hadn't made any of these Macarons for a while so thought I'd whip up a batch for the grand-daughters first birthday. Beautiful, still came out exactly like the others. Just so hard to resist eating them. Glad I only left a few here and took the rest over to the sons house. The only difference to the original recipe I put 125 grams of Cadbury White Chocolate Melts in a bowl and add 63 ml of Woolworth's or Coles thickened cream for the ganache, that's half of the recipe that is on the back of the packet. Half a recipe does a batch.

I just noticed Ricky60 said they had trouble due the fan forced oven, I only have a fan forced oven and mine have been brilliant. What I do is 110 grams of egg white, oven set on 120, set timer for 7 1/2 minutes turn them around for another 7 1/2 minutes and take them out. I slide the greaseproof paper straight onto the benchtop and leave them to cool before trying to move them. I've found the best way is to only do 1 tray at a time and have the tray in the middle of the oven.

Last edited: May 31, 2020